Nikon decision

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
I do a a fair bit of indoor horse show photography and some of the venues are very badly lit. I'm using a D80 with 70-200 F2.8 DX VR. I can't just about get half decent shots for walk and trot but when it comes to jumps I'm stuffed as I can't get the shutter speed up fast enough. I've seen a D3 in action at the same venue and positively drooled over the sensitivity to light but I can't afford it. Now the D700 has come out I'm considering getting that but appreciate that I would have to use the reduced megapixel setting, which I can live with. However, with that lens on would it still be as sensitive to light?

Probably a very stupid question but I am blonde and that's my excuse :LOL:

Do you use the VR? You should be able to use that lens down to about 1/60th and get good shots over the jumps - so even winding the ASA up to 400 should give you something usable.

I think the 70-200 F2.8 is the same lens Hacker's using on his D3, certainly seems to be up to the job.

Do you use the VR? You should be able to use that lens down to about 1/60th and get good shots over the jumps - so even winding the ASA up to 400 should give you something usable.

The VR won't really be any use as you're looking for at least 1/200th probably quicker. As far as the ISO is concerned for indoor equestrian stuff they're usually pretty poorly lit. If anything it's ISO 3200 and higher she'll be needing.

Hi its the 70-200 and I've had the ISO up in 1600 range! I'm talking really badly lit! Old fashioned orange light (EXPO disc helped with that). Lights pointing odd angles and dark surfaces and walls so no light bouncing off - or should I give up? If you know Osbaldeston at Blackburn that's a pretty good example but the worst was Badgworth in Somerset. Can get a half decent shot with the ISO up high but then its incredibly grainy which the D3 and D700 don't seem to have a problem with

Hi its the 70-200 and I've had the ISO up in 1600 range! I'm talking really badly lit! Old fashioned orange light (EXPO disc helped with that). Lights pointing odd angles and dark surfaces and walls so no light bouncing off - or should I give up? If you know Osbaldeston at Blackburn that's a pretty good example but the worst was Badgworth in Somerset. Can get a half decent shot with the ISO up high but then its incredibly grainy which the D3 and D700 don't seem to have a problem with

There isnt a 70-200 DX IIRC? :shrug: You should be able to use that lens on a full frame sensor and not lose any pixels.

Just note that the 70-200 is not a DX lens, so there is no reduced resolution on a full frame (FX camera) like a D3 or D700. :)

Aha told you I was blonde - I was looking at the wrong box!

I know how you feel. ISO3200 F2.8 and 1/60th. This hasn't been processed but for prints try noiseninja and highpass sharpening, works a treat :)

8W0A9652.jpg

Ooo - nice beast! Where was that - young horse evaluations?

I'm useless at panning so struggle with the light issue when I drop the speed right down.... more practice maybe.

Futurity in Aberdeen. That's a 3yo called Azzurro, picked up one of three "elite" awards on the day :)

How about a D300? Cheaper then the D700 and it handles high ISO very well.

Back