Nikon Df....First images

looks cool and retro.

Seem to be about $2300 I believe

No idea what that equates to in Sterling or import prices...

EDIT: Scratch that = $2750!!!

Last edited:
Looks way too big, like they just reskinned a D800. Looks like it's still Sony A7R for me.

Not sure why the objection to video; works damn well on my D800.

The DF does look rather lovely.

It looks ok to me,but out of the DSLR market at the moment,still reckon the price will be high,i think about the £2500 :)

original.jpg

81hZeYpCYsL._SL1500_.jpg

$2750 body/$3000 with lens..! Gulp.

Nov. 28th

• Nikon's thinnest, lightest FX-format D-SLR
  • 16.2MP image sensor paired with EXPEED 3 image processing
  • Dedicated mechanical dials for shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, exposure compensation, exposure mode and release mode
  • 39-point autofocus system with 9 highly accurate cross-type sensors
  • Compatible with all current AF-S, AF-D and AF NIKKOR lenses
Additionally, a metering coupling lever makes it possible to use both AI (Aperture Index) or non-AI lenses.
Apparently...

Last edited:
I don't think the price is confirmed yet, I'll live in hope that it is in D610 territory. It is just what I'm after upgrading from a D90, not convinced a D7100 is a big enough upgrade, put off D600 by oil, never use video, love the feel, operation and look of my Fuji X10. This deffo fits the bill if the price is right!

Looks nice, but also a bit busy with all of these dials and buttons spread around. There would be a compromise with the usability just to make it feel retro...

Never ever used video, NEVER EVER will.
And you don't have to. :shrug:

I have video on my camera and I've used it three times in five years. And that was only out of curiosity. ;)

I'm not to keen on the design if the Nikon Df. Looks a bit cheap looking to me. :shrug: I thought the cable release was quite funny. :LOL: Is that really a worthwhile nod to the past? :shrug: :bonk:

Additionally, a metering coupling lever makes it possible to use both AI (Aperture Index) or non-AI lenses.
Apparently...

Just a quick note on this - AI lenses don't need a metering coupling lever. AI lenses interact with Nikon cameras in the same way that AF-D lenses do - via a notch on the F-mount (which is what is missing on the entry level models, like the D3200).

Any camera that offers AF-D compatibility, by definition offers AI compatibility.

It looks like a great camera, and changing settings using dedicated dials is really nice - but that price, using the D4 sensor, really does price it high...

Last edited:
I'll stick with my freebie FA. I can buy a shed load of film for 2 1/2 grandish.

Seriously though, given the current market and consumer aspirations, they might well have got it dead right.

Looks nice, but also a bit busy with all of these dials and buttons spread around. There would be a compromise with the usability just to make it feel retro...
After my initial reaction, I'm beginning to agree there's far too many knobs to twiddle here. The P and an A* should have gone on the shutter speed dial (where they used to be), and then S and A* on the aperture control (presumably that's on the front wheel and shows on the LCD) they didn't need the 1/3 stop dial on top of the ISO control, it could simply have had 3 clicks per stop. It's have been much closer to the F3 then (and other comparable SLRs).

*Shutter and Aperture both at A = Program mode
*Shutter at A = Aperture priority
*Aperture at A = Shutter priority

Though I haven't worked out how to shift the SS and Aperture in Program mode, except maybe with a confirmation OK, then you could shift away from A. However, you're then stuck with how to cancel it. (or just drop program mode).

Actually, without the PASM dial, I'd move the shutter into it's more modern position, allowing for a decent size LCD screen and we'd be back to P mode on a button along with the drive, metering pattern and AF modes, clearing a lot of the clutter, keeping the best of a modern camera with the 'look and feel' of an older one.

I am not sure to be honest, love retro cameras but that looks wrong somehow... looks very tall and its very much 80's looking which is probably the idea of course

I keep thinking of this when I see it

Lamborghini-Countach.jpg

The more I look at it the more I think they messed up the rear end of it and not having aperture rings on the lenses has obviously made some of there design choices, which is a shame as a full manual type of use is nearly as important as the look of it for this retro design, to me anyway, without an aperture ring, that shutter dial may as well not be there as they have included a MASP dial:thinking:

As far as the Nikon thingie goes - I don't like 80's design. Cameras from these days were very uncomfortable to hold and inconvenient to shoot - this is a right blast from the past, but with modern guts (probably quite good). If you want a gimmick you may as well get a Hasselblad jobby :LOL: (sorry, Sony) or a Leica. I'm sticking with the plain, usable and comfortable 1D and 5D bodies even if canon was ever crazy enough to do the same

Never ever used video, NEVER EVER will.

That is YOUR choice. However it does not mean it should be right for everyone, and in fact it isn't.

Last edited:
Having had time to ponder further, I've decided this is an ergonomic disaster as mentioned above. PASM has taken up unnecessary space and as a consequence the shutter looks cramp. I think the grip also looks a bit 'awkward', not sure what it is, but it does not seem comfortable. Design wise it's just too confusing for me.

I could stomach the price, but two things really annoy me. The lack of innovation, and it seems to be retro for the sake of retro and forgetting we need a design we can take photos with! Missed a trick with this camera Nikon....

Unusually (it seems) I don't think Nikon have missed a trick with this camera. Personally I think it looks fantastic. Will I be buying one, well no, but thats cause I'm more then happy with my setup. But as a premium product, that will sell well and is pitched at a certain market I think it will sell extremely well. Which is what Nikon want after all

Unusually (it seems) I don't think Nikon have missed a trick with this camera. Personally I think it looks fantastic. Will I be buying one, well no, but thats cause I'm more then happy with my setup. But as a premium product, that will sell well and is pitched at a certain market I think it will sell extremely well. Which is what Nikon want after all

It does seem to offer something more or less unique, for a DSLR at least. Reading the spec though it seems there is nothing unusual about the mirror/view finder set up despite all the hybrid etc rumours.

On Nikon's site now.

http://www.nikon.com/news/2013/1105_dslr_01.htm

Initial feeling was excitement but astounded by the price tag. Then looked at size and weight and thought it was an option however i'd mainly want it as an everyday camera and for travel, it can be as light as it wants but if your putting a 24-70 on it its going to become a big unit. Fair enough you can just take primes but I can do that with a d40.

I think I will probably plunge into the fuji system and get an x-pro1 or similar.

Looks like a nice bit of kit though :)

I can't believe the price-tag if I'm honest, £2700 with the 50mm seems excessive, certainly seems to me that its being aimed at 2 types of people, those that are tempted by the "attractiveness/style" of the X-Pro/X100S and older photographers who may have fond memories of using film SLR's in the past, personally I'll be keeping my D600 and if I want something more portable I'd be looking at the X-Pro or the New Sony's.

Reactions: ST4
Agree about PASM dial, it's unnecessary. They should have done what Fuji X series did: put A on all the other dials.

Spec sheet looks uninspiring, no 1/8000s, no 1/250s flash sync. I was hoping for the rumoured hybrid viewfinder.

For looks, seems like it is usual for the stylist team to design the top, then hand it over to the functional engineers to design the back. Loving the ISO dial though, it's something missing from all modern cameras, hope it's on the Fuji x200.

Back