Nikon DF?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't see a whole lot of posting about the Nikon DF... I've been pondering mirrorless for something smaller in size than the D800 for when I don't "need" it mainly travel to be honest.
I'd been focused on looking at mirrorless options like the Fuji XT1 or Sony A7 series but I'm a little reluctant to commit to another system and have to duplicate lenses, etc when the DF looks like it could fit the bill and use my existing glass.

The Nikon DF while dearer than the mirrorless options would save me money on lenses and looks nice from an image quality point of view but wondered if people are actually using it? I guess the other FF Nikon option would be the D750 which seems similarly sized and weighted.

I did have a seatch and there doesn't seem a lot about the DF, I guess probably due to its price and apparent "niche" interest maybe!

D750 seems the obvious choice between them, better handling, much better af, more pixels, cheaper. The df should've had the D750 guts IMHO.

Last edited:
I had a DF for a little while it was great at high ISO but the spread of the a.f points was more than a little annoying. It also had real trouble locking focus in low light.

D750 is a better camera.

As you're having difficulty settling why not just stick with DSLR's but smaller and go for the smallest Nikon APS-C and a couple of compact primes (if you don't have them already) or go for something different like a decent compact(ish) like a Panasonic LX100 or a really cheap setup like a used MFT body and either cheap used lenses or legacy lenses. You could get an early used MFT body for less that £150 and a nice prime for £100-150 and maybe a cheap 14-42mm too. A used MFT set up of body and two lenses would cost less than a decent new lens for your Nikon never mind a DF.

Come over to the M4/3 side :D I've not picked up my D610 since getting an EM10 (and now EM1).

I am still using a pair for shooting weddings and really like them. The image quality is superb. As folk say, their biggest criticism was the AF but I guess that depends what your going to use them for. If it's just for travel/fun as you say and you like the way they look, then maybe you don't need super AF in dark situations which is where most folk say it's lacking?

I trialled one and hated it - it's a bit of a stillborn camera. The AF is useless in low light - the D600 is as good. Ergonomically, it's not as good as a DSLR for manual shooting. With the D4 AF system I would've bought one.

The D750 trounces it in almost every department, while being cheaper and not that much heavier/bigger.

I trialled one and hated it - it's a bit of a stillborn camera. The AF is useless in low light - the D600 is as good. Ergonomically, it's not as good as a DSLR for manual shooting. With the D4 AF system I would've bought one.

The D750 trounces it in almost every department, while being cheaper and not that much heavier/bigger.

I thought it has the d600 af system?

i think the DF is mainly aimed at people who want the manual film experience but with the convenience of digital so the AF performance would be of little interest to them

The d750 isn't going to be that much smaller than what you already have is it?
I'd go xt1

The d750 isn't going to be that much smaller than what you already have is it?

Quite.

I'd go xt1

X-T1 is actually longer than the Nikon D5500 and only a few grams lighter. Nice though the Fuji is, D5500 makes more sense for the OP. It's tiny, light, yet sweet handling with touch-screen. and very capable.

Having been a Nikon SLR shooter for years from F2 onwards I was really excited about the launch of the Df. However, I was a bit disappointed with the AF in low light it and couldn't see the point in the top plate LCD panel. A real missed opportunity so I opted for an X-T1 as I still do miss the top plate dials. So I'm now running two systems the Fuji X, but still have all my Nikon glass etc with a D750 / D810, both eclipse the Df in performance.

When they started advertising it, I was quite excited.It was almost a good idea. The actual implementation was a bit cobbled together and far far too big. They should have made it smaller and simpler - maybe even without autofocus. In the end, Fuji stole their lunch.

I've kept my Nikon lenses in case they revisit the formula and actually get it right.

Come and join mirrorless. Its cured my GAS. Small enough to carry about discretely all the time. Top quality lenses that fit in your suit pocket on a wedding I was at recently. I love it.

Thanks for your thoughts folks, I do tend to take more heed of more personal experience with kit here than reading some of the bloggers and review sites.
Having taken in whats been said though and done a bit more reading on the DF I think its probably not for me at this time, especially with the comments about AF not being great (wasn't a fan of the D600 focusing in low light either), the IQ from the 16mp sensor looks good but if I'm honest from 100% shots I've seen of the DF and X-T1 I'm not seeing much of a difference between the APS-C Fuji and Full Frame Nikon.

The cost of the DF (even used) is probably I feel a little high for what your getting, especially taking into consideration the price of a Grey Import D750 at present (or the XT1 for that matter!)
Hmm probably leaning toward the D750 for the exact reasons I was looking at the DF (lighter, smaller and can use existing lenses) but can almost not bring myself to own two similar DSLR's (of course what I mean is I'm not sure the wife would appreciate it!), Fuji XT-1 is also tempting with the 18-135 and free grip offer.

Last edited:
Interesting how little comment is made of the image quality with the Df - I love mine and barely touch the D800 these days. I wander about and shoot mostly handheld and no filters and it suits me perfectly. I'd have like a different card slot and dual cards but thats one of things. It fits my hand perfectly as well and I like the lower weight. I did have a Fuji system as well for a wee while but never found fuji files and adobe to mix too well and I wasn't about to change my workflow.

I put together a wee collection of landscape shots with the Df for a pal who was looking at it - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_lj/sets/72157651320714881

Fuji is amazeballs. Come and join in all the fun. ;)

If you can afford it I would do this! I had a brief flirtation with Fuji during my mirrorless phase and if it hadn't have have been for the lack of cheaper lens options (ie there are none!) I would still be using it.

I couldn't do without a DSLR currently but if I ever have enough cash to run a mirrorless system along side it will definitely be Fuji.

Interesting how little comment is made of the image quality with the Df - I love mine and barely touch the D800 these days. I wander about and shoot mostly handheld and no filters and it suits me perfectly. I'd have like a different card slot and dual cards but thats one of things. It fits my hand perfectly as well and I like the lower weight. I did have a Fuji system as well for a wee while but never found fuji files and adobe to mix too well and I wasn't about to change my workflow.

I put together a wee collection of landscape shots with the Df for a pal who was looking at it - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_lj/sets/72157651320714881

Wow they're very impressive indeed. Super work, well done! :clap:

Stunning.
I saw 'Little Langdale' in the August edition of Outdoor Photography promoting the Masters of Vision Exhibition. Beautiful image. :)

I'd happily pay for a print of that and 'Lane' to hang at home ;-)

Last edited:
Fine work (y) On a good day, Scotland takes some beating :)

They are mostly Cumbria. Couple from Scotland and Iceland. But I'd agree and in fact I don't think you can beat Sutherland full stop.

Stunning.
I saw 'Little Langdale' in the August edition of Outdoor Photography promoting the Masters of Vision Exhibition. Beautiful image. :)

I'd happily pay for a print of that and 'Lane' to hang at home ;-)

Cheers - I have a big print of Lane hanging at home as its my wife favourite. I was quite pleased with the Little Langdale one in the mag. It looks ok printed 25"x20" as well.

Some nice stuff there. What is the location of Secret Life of Trees?

Steve.

Its Aira Point, Ullswater. A bit of luck with the conditions after chasing around like a madman around dawn it all changed an hour or so later and it was as nice as I've seen at that location.

I would love a DF for my travel photography, looking at Marks images it reinforces the want although I'm sure it's the photographer that's outstanding not just the camera!

I own a DF and have been very happy with the output of the camera and the control method. Paired with a good lens can really provide the tools to create a beautiful shot. Even the kit 50 1.8 is impressive for the weight!

If you require a camera with the bleeding edge tech then it isn't the way to go. However if you're looking for the D4 sensor and access to the manual controls then it really can fit the bill. I've never had issues with the spread or autofocus performance, however i typically focus quite centrally and recompose after moving from simpler manual focus cameras. I don't like cameras picking the subject out for me.

I have quite large hands and it isn't as comfortable to hold as some other SLRs. The strap lugs are a bit awkwardly placed.

Back