Nikon displays?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to buy a used Nikon and see that the older ones have a display on the back of the camera and the newer ones have a pop out (larger) screen. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two? I always worry about pop out electronics being more vulnerable to damage?

With the angle displays you can alter the angle to shoot high or low. There is of course more chance to damage it whilst it’s out but if you’re carefull it shouldn’t happen. Just because it tilts doesn’t mean you have to use it. To be honest AF performance in live view isn’t as good and I only ever used the rear screen for static subjects like landscapes.

To be honest whether the screen tilts or not is not a major purchase concern of mine compared to the overall spec of the camera. Which camera models are you thinking of?

Last edited:
I've been looking at D3100's, D3500's etc, in that range (D5*00)

I’m not sure what the price difference against those cameras and the next up but I’d look at the D7xxx range too. the better controls on the d7xxx make it easier to control the camera without diving into the menus and future proofs you a bit as you progress beyond the beginner stage.

My D750 has a tilt screen - the first DSLR I've had with one - and when thinking about the purchase I figured I'd never really felt the need for one. I'm surprised at how often I use it as it lets you get really low shots of fungii and stuff like this without having to lay down in the wet grass.
Mushroom.jpg
At first I was also a bit concerned about how sturdy it would be but now I don't give it a second thought.

There are cameras from different manufacturers with all different types of moveable LCD screens, and I don't see any reports of any breaking. I have a camera whose screen is moveable, but only up and down. I have found the moveable screen more useful than I thought it would be like Bristolian. I would have preferred a screen to twist out left and be fully rotatable, as that would have been more useful in some situations I have had. :rolleyes: A benefit of that type of moveable LCD is that the screen can be reversed against the body to protect the LCD screen when not in use. And you can pretend you have a film camera or an expensive Leica! :oops: :$ :LOL:

When I only had my camera a couple of months, it was in a bag that fell off a table and damaged the LCD so badly that it had to be replaced. :banghead: I think if I had had the type of screen that could be reversed against the body, it may have survived. The screen being moveable had nothing to do with the damage btw, as the screen was in its closed position, as you would expect, in the bag. Just bad luck to be damaged in a bag.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. Really helpful. The hunt continues! It is a minefield though! :)

I've bought a D5000 with an 18-55mm lens. Low shutter count and the price was right! The previous owner struggled with it and tended to use Auto for everything! Now uses his phone!

Back