Beginner Nikon DX 55-300 or 55-200?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of getting one of these two lenses and was wondering if there's any difference in image quality between the two? Does the extra 100mm on the 300 suffer a big drop in sharpness or anything along those lines?

For me I would get the Tamron 70-300mm VC a far better lens than either the two Nikons you have mentioned. I have owned the 55-300mm and although an okay lens IMO the Tamron was far better, including build (felt more solid), focusing, colour etc............ The lens just seemed to give more pop to my photos. I have also owned the Nikon 70-300mm VR which is better built again, but, I again prefered the outputs from the Tamron.

Link > http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-70-300mm-f4-5-6-sp-di-vc-usd-lens-nikon-fit/p1520737

Last edited:
James,
If you can swing a little more, I recommend getting the below lens, it's a good performer..
Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Lens.
Cheers, John

In an ideal world I'd be going for the Nikon 70 - 300, but I can't afford it. After looking at a couple of reviews, the Tamron looks like a decent compromise though.

Simon,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and this review. I agree with you, the Tamron is a fine choice. :)
Cheers, John

I'd echo all of the above. I read tons of reviews and forums to see whether the Nikon or Tamron 70-300 was the best and the Tamron appears to just edge it, especially for the price.

Back