Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just some advice

I am thinking of upgrading to Fx.

I currently use a D300s
So with the pending D400 (rumoured this year) I am looking at selling mine before the cost falls anymore.

I only use the camera for enjoyment, so make no money from taking pics.

With the reduced cost of the D700 due to the release of the D800
New approx £1550
Second hand approx £1200

I will get maybe £750 for my D300s
Sell a few Dx lens £250

So my question is
So do I go with a new D700 for £550
Buy a second hand used (maybe miss used) D700 for £200

To bite the bullet and go for a D800 for £1500 is out of my price range.

Thanks

to be honest i very much doubt you will get a d700 for £200 or even £550 for that matter.

I would stick with the d300s for now - its a great camera, and since you are using it for enjoyment only, i would get another lens maybe instead?

I made the jump from D300 to D700 earlier this year.

With used D700 prices seemingly moving closer to D300s prices, I can see why it would be tempting. What FX lenses will you have? That might be the deciding factor.

When I changed it cost me a lot of money as a lot of my lenses were DX so I ended up having to buy new lenses. And of course, when you move to full frame, you suddenly want the very best lenses available which adds to the cost again, but maybe you're already covered?

to be honest i very much doubt you will get a d700 for £200 or even £550 for that matter.

I would stick with the d300s for now - its a great camera, and since you are using it for enjoyment only, i would get another lens maybe instead?

I think the OP meant, cost of change over. But if he didn't and there are D700's out there for £200, I want to know where!

well spotted - what can i say - its friday and I am at work and want to go home.

Yes, I meant upgrade cost

Lens all Nikon (all fx, except my 35mm)
24-70f2.8 new
70-200f2.8 vr new
105mm macro new
Tc20 v3 new
Looking at the 50mm f1.4 (but have the 35mm f1.8dx)

Last edited:
Keep the 300 and get a 700, save yourself a few quid and have a good dx camera if you need the crop factor.

Yes, I meant upgrade cost

Lens all Nikon (all fx, except my 35mm)
24-70f2.8 vr new
70-200f2.8 vr new
105mm macro new
Tc20 v3 new
Looking at the 50mm f1.4 (but have the 35mm f1.8dx)

You're well covered there. Maybe swap the 35mm for a 50mm 1.8 if you want to save some pennies.

PC World and Currys have new d700's for £1249.91 if you can find one in stock anywere.

I would def take one at that cost.

I will have a ring around

PC World and Currys have new d700's for £1249.91 if you can find one in stock anywere.

Not listed on their website now but I know that when my mate tried to find one, they said they had no stock and weren't expecting any for the foreseeable future. It seemed that the price was a theoretical one only.

I made the FX-DX change in March and am very pleased I did.:D

It cost me a fair bit more than what you're looking at as I had a few DX lenses, it also cost me length as I had up to 300mm and now only have 200mm max.

I got mine from Mifsuds and have just looked on their site..they have a D700 with 16.5k on the clock for 1349.00.......... So, sell the D300 and the 35mm and hang fire on the 50mm purchase. The 35mm cash should almost see you the difference and buy from them with their warranty included....Job done(y)

Not listed on their website now but I know that when my mate tried to find one, they said they had no stock and weren't expecting any for the foreseeable future. It seemed that the price was a theoretical one only.
Like when John Lewis advertised them at £1499 - but said none in stock. I registered interest and got an email a few weeks later - 'now back in stock' - at £1699.

D700s have been getting harder to get hold of - last week pretty much everywhere was out of stock and while stock levels have come back in, the price has gone up most places by £20-£25 over what it was a few weeks ago.

Or wait for the rumoured D600...if that's really going to be $1500 that would be a great buy.

The D700 right now is a poor buy.....D800 supply will free up which will see more D700's on the market as would the potential D700. I suppose it depends if you think the D300's will lose more value? Than the D700 over the next year.

Or wait for the rumoured D600...if that's really going to be $1500 that would be a great buy.

The D700 right now is a poor buy.....D800 supply will free up which will see more D700's on the market as would the potential D700. I suppose it depends if you think the D300's will lose more value? Than the D700 over the next year.

This is the reason for the swap, as well as an upgrade to Fx.
The main reason for not changing is the cost of second hand D700.
A new D700 approx £1500
A secondhand 3yrs old 26k to 50k shutter clicks £1200 to £1300 (that's what people want)

How much will the D300s be when we have an intermediate updated D400 or D600?

How much will the D700 be when there is an updated cheaper Fx?

Or do I wait it out and get what I can when the new models are released.

So many decisions.

Soda Farl said:

Reading have one if that's of any help. Saw it today but cannot afford it myself :-(

What I want to know is where the OP got his 24-70 vr from? :)

What I want to know is where the OP got his 24-70 vr from? :)

Jessops
I went into the shop in Leicester looking for a Dx lens,
I had £2k sitting in the bank
Bought it?
Why does this need an question/answer.:shrug:

I am 37 (have no kids), living life with no limits.(y)
However, just got engaged and I feel she has other ideas.:love:
By Christmas I will have no spare cash:help:

Same here, thinking of moving up to FX but not sure if the goodies justify the cost. Better AF and a bigger viewfinder are probably the only two things that interest me.

At this point I'm going to wait a few months for D600, and if it doesn't materialise I'll buy a D700.

The reason I asked is that I didn't know the 24-70 was a VR lens, that's all. No need to get so defensive.

GHP said:
The reason I asked is that I didn't know the 24-70 was a VR lens, that's all. No need to get so defensive.

I thought the same when I read it - didn't think the nikkor was vr - and you were being a bit tongue in cheek. Unfortunately misconstrued!

Aren't Tamron bringing out a vr zoom in this range?

That's the problem with forums, there is no tone of voice to convey humour. No harm done though.
Unfortunately for my wallet all my lenses are Nikon. I don't have the 24-70 but I do have the older 35-70 which is a stunning lens for IQ and lack of CA but I will probably upgrade one day.
Who knows, when I do they might have a VR version. :)

Characteristics said:
Jessops
I went into the shop in Leicester looking for a Dx lens,
I had £2k sitting in the bank
Bought it?
Why does this need an question/answer.:shrug:

Because the lens doesn't exist? :naughty:

That's the problem with forums, there is no tone of voice to convey humour. No harm done though.
Unfortunately for my wallet all my lenses are Nikon. I don't have the 24-70 but I do have the older 35-70 which is a stunning lens for IQ and lack of CA but I will probably upgrade one day.
Who knows, when I do they might have a VR version. :)

Hence the large "Important" notice above.... may be wiser to think before posting a humorous answer and inflaming the situation.

Back on topic I have kept my D2X as I love the camera but the move to FX was worth it.

Sorry if you though I was defensive.;)

Your correct it's not vr.

Still a nice lens(y)

Absolutely no need for apologies Jason.
I am in a similar situation to you re the upgrading to FX.
I have a D7000, and was ready to go with a D700, mainly because of the cost of the D3s.
The only thing I don't like about the 700 is that it only has 1 card slot.
Then Nikon go and launch the D800, and the D4. The D4, amazing, but I really can't justify £4.5k. D800, similar cost to a S/H D3s, and to be absolutely honest, I dont really need that many pixels.
So yes, the D600 sounds the perfect camera for me.
But sadly the D600 is just a rumour, and if it does get released, can you imagine the demand for it, and the subsequent supply problems?
As for lenses, the only DX lenses I own are the 12-24 nikon, and the 35mm f1.8Dx, all the rest are FX lenses,but I intend to keep the D7000 anyway, so not so much of an issue.
I think the D700 is the way to go for me, and upgrade to the newer technology (and the twin card slots) of the D600 if it gets released, and after the initial rush has died down.
I'm just hoping the market gets flooded with used D700s now.:LOL:

Soda Farl said:

Thanks for the advice.
After spending 20mins on the phone to track down one in stock
20mins driving to Leamington
10mins moaning about it being display model and getting £20 off a scandisk 45mb/s 32GB card £55
I now own a D700 £1250.
These are all display models.
Never used
Battery never been charged

Can't wait to get home

Thanks for the advice.
After spending 20mins on the phone to track down one in stock
20mins driving to Leamington
10mins moaning about it being display model and getting £20 off a scandisk 45mb/s 32GB card £55
I now own a D700 £1250.
These are all display models.
Never used
Battery never been charged

Can't wait to get home

Result!!

Back