Nikon F100, Berlin, Summer 2013

Jao

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
A few more shots from my trip to Berlin last summer

1. Bundestag Sunrise-Nikon F100, Cosina 19-35mm @19mm, Fuji Reala converted to mono in LR4
13954821905_531eb5c23b_b.jpg

2. Bundestag and the river- F100, Cosina 19-35mm @19mm, Fuji Reala
13931757601_32abdfdc15_b.jpg

Dem Deutschen Volk Colour-Nikon F100, Cosina 19-35mm @19mm, Fuji Reala
13954908113_b4d8b4fec5_b.jpg

4.Bundestag Roof Reflectors-Nikon F100, Cosina 19-35mm, Fuji Reala
13954842803_12832a7e96_b.jpg

5. Bundestag Rooftop Security-Nikon F100, Cosina 19-35mm @19mm, Fuji Reala
13931706676_0a70b4be0e_b.jpg

A nice series here, Adrian. Take any comments I make below with a serious bucket o' salt, as I'm far from a qualified expert. :)

I'm very fond of the fourth photograph; it just feels really balanced compositionally and the light is great. It has that warm and airy film feel to it; there's both good detail inside of the building, as well as in the highlights outside. The people also help to add a sense of scale throughout.

The next strongest is probably number three, although I would have liked to have seen just a bit more of the flag. I like the clouds and I think the converging verticals work in your favour here. I'm not as keen on the verticals in the first photo though; it's something I probably would look to adjust in Lightroom, although I'm not sure if you have the space on the right side of the building to do it without cutting off a bit of the building in the process. Is the sun setting/rising behind the Bundestag? It looks like there's some nice light in the photograph, but I'm just not sure that the sepia-toned conversion is showcasing it to the fullest.

Anyhow, it looks like it was a nice trip. Berlin is definitely on my list of places to visit soon!

I like these a lot Adrian, lovely light and the composition is excellent. I agree with RJ about 4, beautifully composed and a nice airy feel to it.

Andy

outstanding stuff, we went about a year ago and i couldnt get a decent shot becasue of crowds and cranes.

so much building work going on.

You were LUCKY -- when I was there in 1956 courtesy of the British ARMY it was all bullet holes, ruins and Big Russian Soldiers by the Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate !
Berlin 6 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Last edited:
#3 and #4 for me, nice composition and colours. (y)

Peter, you were lucky in some way too, you had the opportunity to see, first hand, the building in an unique state and an important moment of European history.

A nice series here, Adrian. Take any comments I make below with a serious bucket o' salt, as I'm far from a qualified expert. :)

I'm very fond of the fourth photograph; it just feels really balanced compositionally and the light is great. It has that warm and airy film feel to it; there's both good detail inside of the building, as well as in the highlights outside. The people also help to add a sense of scale throughout.

The next strongest is probably number three, although I would have liked to have seen just a bit more of the flag. I like the clouds and I think the converging verticals work in your favour here. I'm not as keen on the verticals in the first photo though; it's something I probably would look to adjust in Lightroom, although I'm not sure if you have the space on the right side of the building to do it without cutting off a bit of the building in the process. Is the sun setting/rising behind the Bundestag? It looks like there's some nice light in the photograph, but I'm just not sure that the sepia-toned conversion is showcasing it to the fullest.

Anyhow, it looks like it was a nice trip. Berlin is definitely on my list of places to visit soon!

Thanks RJ, your comments are very welcome. I liked the 4th too, it took some patience in that for long periods I couldn't get a clear shot because of he crowds. I also like three, sadly the wind didn't co-operate in presenting more of the flag. You are right about the verticals in the first. It was taken at 19mm on my ultra cheap Cosina 19-35 and i didn't leave enough space on the left to correct for the converging lines. the sun was rising behind the building and I was concentrating too much i think o keeping it just out of the image. I liked the toning late last night but I am not so sure my self today, the fickle hand of art!

I can heartily recommend Berlin as a place to visit, i hope to go back again before the year is out, relatively cheap location to visit too for a european capital!

I like these a lot Adrian, lovely light and the composition is excellent. I agree with RJ about 4, beautifully composed and a nice airy feel to it.

Andy

Cheers Andy, I put it all down the the effect the F100 has when I use it, I know you will appreciate that feeling :)

outstanding stuff, we went about a year ago and I couldnt get a decent shot becasue of crowds and cranes.

so much building work going on.
Thanks Paul, you are right about the crowds. i tend to get up before dawn when there and get out and avoid while others are still just awakening from slumber, once you get to 9am shooting becomes a challenge.

You were LUCKY -- when I was there in 1956 courtesy of the British ARMY it was all bullet holes, ruins and Big Russian Soldiers by the Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate !
Berlin 6 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Pete, a nice shot of the Reichstag in a more damaged state. It is interesting that you say this was 1956. I was a student in Berlin in the early 1980's and the Reichstag looked much like that other than the Wall running in front of it. In the east there were still bombed out buildings and the east was also full of soviet troops. I still remember the slightly absurd scene of a permanent honour guard of young Russian soldiers guarding a tank by the Brandenburg Gate 24-7, in the 1970's someone had taken some pot shots at the young soldiers so they were guarded permanently by four british soldiers in full combat gear. Just to complete the scene the british soldiers were in turn guarded by four West German Police officers! Quite a scene, that at the time I was forbidden from photographing by a plain clothed police German police officer! All a bit different these days though

#3 and #4 for me, nice composition and colours. (y)

Thanks Ariel

Peter, you were lucky in some way too, you had the opportunity to see, first hand, the building in an unique state and an important moment of European history.

Jao : Well, I took also those RUSSIAN TANKS -- it is said they were taken off the street and mounted up on the plinths with the Russian crew bodies still inside -- I got the Russian Soldiers marching up and down with big boots and guns with my 1953 British Ensign Selfix on Agfa Isopan film ---
Berlin 8 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Berlin 5 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Berlin 7 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Reactions: Jao
Jao : Well, I took also those RUSSIAN TANKS -- it is said they were taken off the street and mounted up on the plinths with the Russian crew bodies still inside -- I got the Russian Soldiers marching up and down with big boots and guns with my 1953 British Ensign Selfix on Agfa Isopan film ---
Berlin 8 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Berlin 5 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Berlin 7 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Pete, a really great set of images and a genuine bit of history. I too had heard that the tank on the plinth contained the remains of the fallen crew. The monuments in your photos are still here all be it somewhat westernised now. I took 24 rolls of film over the 10 days I was there this summer, sadly the roll I took of the monuments in your pictures was toasted by one of the labs I used.

No Soldiers marching up and down now but I did capture some back in the 80's:

Olympus OM-1n and 50mm f1.8 Agfa CT18
8376029961_85438cf80e_b.jpg

American service men on a day pass to the East looking at their cold war opponents!
8377128234_36d65ff66a_b.jpg

The same scene in August 2013, no one goose stepping now!
Nikon F100, Cosina 19-35mm Fuji Reala
13960750135_99041f5e15_b.jpg

Last edited:
These are all great, it's fantastic to get an historical perspective on the same view. Well done Adrian and Pete,

Adrian, I remember seeing the first shots you posted from your Berlin trip and I really liked them and stated that the 19-35mm was really helping you to produce excellent work and these are no different,sharp with great colour from the Reala. I think you must have a complete roll of keepers. Very good work indeed.

Back