Nikon F4 owners..have I wasted my money

Yes I know what you are saying but I find myself relating prices to a state pension of £155/week...must be an age thing :(

Bri, with all due respect I don't have an income that is an awful lot more than that as I am unable to work due to long term ill health.

I'm not discussing the in and outs of government reforms etc etc , it's as it is!

The fact that I am making is that one has to live to ones financial means…..It aint easy nor pleasant and some may even say unfair but again it is as it is.

Even people that work don't necessarily have more money available for hobbies than we do…..Let's put it into perspective, we are not starving, homeless or without a certain amount of luxuries that we can ( and some of us often do) sell to raise cash to fund something else.

So if you are unable to fund the F4 purchase / repair out of your monthly income, consider selling something ( a lens maybe) that you no longer use or are tired with and put the monies to your new "want".

It really is that simple!

Not directly relating to F4's, but Nikon F2 repairer extraordinaire, Sover Wong, has posted many examples on the Nikon F2 Facebook page of F2's he's received for repair, that had been bought from Japan and elsewhere in Asia supposedly in good condition which turned out to look great on the outside but were full of fungus and corrosion on the inside. Based on that I might be wary of buying used from Japan.

Apologies if someone has already suggested this but upthread you say that the mirror isn't lifting up and the shutter isn't firing. If that's the case can't you raise a case with eBay based on the fact that even though the seller advertised the camera as spares or repairs, he said it was it was able to take a photo as long as you turned it off and on after each shot which isn't actually the case?

Heard this lots before about buying cameras from humid climates - they rot on the insides.

Bri, with all due respect I don't have an income that is an awful lot more than that as I am unable to work due to long term ill health.

I'm not discussing the in and outs of government reforms etc etc , it's as it is!

The fact that I am making is that one has to live to ones financial means…..It aint easy nor pleasant and some may even say unfair but again it is as it is.

Even people that work don't necessarily have more money available for hobbies than we do…..Let's put it into perspective, we are not starving, homeless or without a certain amount of luxuries that we can ( and some of us often do) sell to raise cash to fund something else.

So if you are unable to fund the F4 purchase / repair out of your monthly income, consider selling something ( a lens maybe) that you no longer use or are tired with and put the monies to your new "want".

It really is that simple!

Understood Asha but to get my F4 working properly would be a total outlay of £194 (£110 repair + £10 postage + original purchase price of £74)........ to me it's not worth it as I have the F90x for AF and the FM for pre Nikon AI lenses and 23 other cameras I can use.

Last edited:
Sell it and be done then!

LOL that's my problem......sell for parts or wait till a body comes along. If you are wondering\forgotten why I wanted an F4 in the first place it's because it would make my F90x and FM redundant as the F4 is AF but can also take pre AI lenses.

LOL that's my problem......sell for parts or wait till a body comes along. If you are wondering\forgotten why I wanted an F4 in the first place it's because it would make my F90x and FM redundant as the F4 is AF but can also take pre AI lenses.

So sell those, pay for the repair of the F4?

A camera that's coming up to 30 years old and was top of the Nikon line when released in 1989 and has probably had pro use initially....doesn't seem a bad price to repair it for £110 for potentially another 30 years worth of use, IMO?

So sell those, pay for the repair of the F4?

Yes you are right and that's what 99.9% of members would do ;) Anyway I've missed the boat as the Nikon expert with 56 year's experience that Miles recommended has retired and wont accept any more repairs.
But for Nikon guys (probably others as well) he has recommended this company but haven't checked them out:-
Adrian Fermor
Service Manager
1stAid Repairs
Unit 3, Decimus Park
Kingstanding Way
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
TN2 3GP

Last edited:
Yes you are right and that's what 99.9% of members would do ;) Anyway I've missed the boat as the Nikon expert with 50 year's experience that Miles recommended has retired and wont accept any more repairs.

:banghead: Will someone tell Florence to stop the roundabout ( magic roundabout) as I need to get off before I throw up from dizziness:puke:

Bri, put the darned F4 on fleabay this evening for the auction to end on Sunday and put us all out of our misery…..PLEASE!:D:D:D

:banghead: Will someone tell Florence to stop the roundabout ( magic roundabout) as I need to get off before I throw up from dizziness:puke:

Bri, put the darned F4 on fleabay this evening for the auction to end on Sunday and put us all out of our misery…..PLEASE!:D:D:D

Well it keeps F&C ticking over with posts :D

That poor, unpaid ( server) hamster is ( literally) run off it's little feet, bless him.

You'll have animal activists at your door soon if you don't stop!

It's actually petitioned us to threadban Brian from his own thread.... believe me, i'm tempted...

It's actually petitioned us to threadban Brian from his own thread.... believe me, i'm tempted...

Would it be a first??

It's just gotta be done!

Sorry Bri, but it sure would make my day:D:D:D

Would it be a first??

It's just gotta be done!

I vaguely remember doing something like that once, and the entire thread disappeared... though that MIGHT have been spambanning the member (and we're around 9,442 posts too late for that to work...)

Brian, what if a potential buyer googles something like" Nikon F4 problems" and finds this thread. :eek:

It might even come up if someone searches “things that are not problems with the Nikon F4 but are made into a 5 page thread of excuses why not to get a Nikon F4 repaired”

we're around 9,442 posts too late for that to work.

Dammit! :p

No worries, I have Brians @excalibur2 home address and if the only way to stop his whining, bleating, moaning posts about this blessed F4 is to call him a visit, then I might just flog my FE2 to fund the flight :D

Brian, what if a potential buyer googles something like" Nikon F4 problems" and finds this thread. :eek:

Well I would think he\she would be quite informed as there are info on where to go from Miles to Ist aid repairs and costs about £120 inc postage for repairs..also thrown in about being old :D

Just got a reply from Ist aid repairs and is the cheapest so far

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your enquiry.

From the fault description you have provided we believe that your camera can be repaired as outlined below:
We would provide a service to your camera. Our repairs are guaranteed for 6 months unless otherwise stated.
This level of repair would cost £96 including labour, vat and return courier to mainland UK only.
Please ensure you enclose a battery with your unit.

Well I would think he\she would be quite informed as there are info on where to go from Miles to Ist aid repairs and costs about £120 inc postage for repairs..also thrown in about being old :D

Just got a reply from Ist aid repairs and is the cheapest so far

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your enquiry.

From the fault description you have provided we believe that your camera can be repaired as outlined below:
We would provide a service to your camera. Our repairs are guaranteed for 6 months unless otherwise stated.
This level of repair would cost £96 including labour, vat and return courier to mainland UK only.
Please ensure you enclose a battery with your unit.

Crikey Brian - looks like your taking in your 30yr old car for the alternator to be repaired and they are going to give it a service as well - hope you're going to complain! :D:exit:

Yes you are right and that's what 99.9% of members would do ;) Anyway I've missed the boat as the Nikon expert with 56 year's experience that Miles recommended has retired and wont accept any more repairs.
But for Nikon guys (probably others as well) he has recommended this company but haven't checked them out:-
Adrian Fermor
Service Manager
1stAid Repairs
Unit 3, Decimus Park
Kingstanding Way
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
TN2 3GP

This is the same repair shop that my local LCE in Chichester sent my ETRS body off to when the rear film interlock mechanism failed. Did a good repair but it did take 5 weeks to get it back.

Considering the body had to be split in half to repair, it came back "as good as new".

This is the same repair shop that my local LCE in Chichester sent my ETRS body off to when the rear film interlock mechanism failed. Did a good repair but it did take 5 weeks to get it back.

Considering the body had to be split in half to repair, it came back "as good as new".

H'mm Miles is not far from them but he recommended someone else.

They'll have probably either got too old to use one or lost the will to carry on by the time they reach the end of it! :banghead:

Last edited:
*Puts on his best DCI Gene Hunt from 'Life on Mars' voice*

Brian! If you don't send the bloody thing for repair or list it on eBay by this time tomorrow I'm coming round your house to stamp on it! :bat:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...ne_Hunt.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100603213022

;) :D

Don't worry, only joking!

Well guys (well for the stragglers still left reading this thread) hoping to end this thread with a happy ending by sending the camera to be repaired....erm well assuming I don't get banned from making a post o_O :eek:

Back