Nikon FE2 Light Meter/Shutter Problems :(

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
No
Hello,
I am quite new to using film cameras and I recently bough a Nikon FE2 (along with a 50mm F1.8 MF Nikon lens) in very good condition from a local car boot sale which I was very pleased with. I managed to run one film through by using 'A' (aperture priority?) mode and I was very surprised with the quality of the photos. I then put another film through but after about 3 shots the mirror remained locked up after pressing the shutter and the light meter also refuses to work :thumbsdown:. I have tried changing the batteries for new ones, and cleaning the battery compartment but it still does not work (apart from if placed in the M250 or B setting)

If any one has any suggestions to what could be the problem or how to fix it by opening it up :shrug: (a link to a disassembly tutorial would be great!) please reply as I would love to use this great camera again :D

Thank you
Jack :)

Last edited:
I'm going to guess it's "sticky mirror" syndrome, something very common to older cameras, especially if they haven't been used for sometime. Are you 100% sure the batteries are fresh and new? The Nikon FG I have absolutely will not play nice unless the batteries are good. And, I have to ask it, I'm sorry, but did you put the batteries in the right way round?

I'd agree with Freecom with regards to batteries. It can occasionally happen where you purchase a new battery and it turns out to only produce half the power required, which may be enough to stop your camera from working correctly.

The 'M250' and 'B' settings are mechanically operated, so if your camera works OK at these settings, this would indicate a problem with the electronic side of it. However, I would double-check your batteries first before taking any further action.

I don't have an FE2 but have a couple of FEs and an FA and this has happened occasionally but only ever as a one off (ie stuck occasionally but then worked fine afterwards).

Another thing to try is releasing the shutter repeatedly on the mechanical speed to see if that loosens anything.

When you release the shutter on the mechanical speed does the lightmeter still not work? (it obviously wouldn't work if the mirror was locked up). If so that would again point to an electrical problem. Would be worth checking the contacts in the battery compartment are nice and clean too.

I wouldn't be inclined to open it up unless you really know what you're doing. Maybe the best thing for it is a CLA - the FE2 is a lovely camera if you can get it working and deserving of some TLC.

The fact that there are only ever problems when the shutter is controlled electrically is classic battery/electrical problems really.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, I have tried new batteries still does not work (yes they are in the right way :) ). Tonight I have taken the top of the FE2 but cannot find any dry joints. I have also cleaned the battery compartment (which was clean already), and have used the mechanical settings with the shutter many times.

Is there is any where else in the camera or 'usual' places to check in the camera to sort this problem that would be great to know, as I said I would love to get it working again but just dont know whats gone wrong :(

Thank you
Jack

It sounds like an internal electrical problem really, and unfortunately this is the point where a repairman is the best person to tinker. Electro-mechanical 35mm SLRs can be very complex, and you may risk breaking or irreversibly damaging parts if you aren't competent at it.

Just out of interest they are 'New' new batteries aren't they and not ones that although are sealed in their packet but have sat around for ten years losing charge? just a thought.

Back