Nikon FE2

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just seen a Nikon FE2 (with a Sigma 24mm f2.8 lens) on fleabay and I'm thinking of bidding.
Now, it says that the shutter doesnt work and the mirrors are smudged so question 1 is would it be a big/expensive repair and question 2 is how much should I bid?

In every other respect its in top nick so if its viable to repair it cheaply I mayg o for it.

Cheers

Andy

Hard to say -- could be a dead battery, though if you ask you might find more bidders jump in.

As for smudged mirrors -- you see people trying to clean them and they just end up with a mess. Normally they stop before any major damage is done and it wouldn't impact photos.

Shutter will work on one manual speed without battery, at 1/90th.

Thanks guys. I don't think they would know about changing a battery, its with the British Heart Foundation and they have no idea about cameras. I'll give it some more thought before bidding.

Andy

Just a quick note Andy, unless they were changed recently, you'll probably have to replace the light seals as this camera ceased production in around 1987.

Thanks Carl, do you know anywhere local where they could do the repairs?, I'm in Crewe by the way.

Andy

I'm sorry, I'm not aware of anyone here in Cheshire. If you don't mind sending the camera away then Nikon themselves should do it for you, or you could order the materials if you fancy having a go at replacing them yourself. This place is based in Sussex:

http://www.cam-spares.com/page3.htm

Thanks Carl. Unfortunately I'm useless at anything fiddly so I'll probably send it off. I may phone Lehmanns in Stoke and see if they can help.

Cheers

Andy

I noticed the same camera and gave it a wide berth. Seals are easy to replace, kits available from fleabay for £5 or so, mirrors aren't a problem I clean mine with laptop alcohol wipes, shutters are a different matter. In experienced hands they can be nudged back in line, OTOH it might be completely rogered which will mean an exensive repair, almost certainly more than waiting for a clean FE to come along.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but Bob Rigby's in Bollington, Macclesfield may be worth a try:

http://www.bobrigby.com/index.html

I've bought many items here for the darkroom and they do supply cameras to professionals from what I gather. I doubt if they repair on the premises, but they may have someone local who could carry out any repairs required.

Thanks guys, just put in a couple of bids and it jumped beyond my limit immediately so someone wants it more than I do.

Andy

Thanks for that link Carl, looks an interesting place.

Andy

Thanks for that link Carl, looks an interesting place.

Andy

You're welcome. It's not a particularly large shop, but is worth a visit. It's not easy to find if you've never been before as it can't be seen from the main road. It's just off a side road and at the bottom of a narrow street. They do have some very nice (and expensive) equipment on display, I have to say.

... shutters are a different matter. In experienced hands they can be nudged back in line, OTOH it might be completely rogered which will mean an exensive repair, almost certainly more than waiting for a clean FE to come along.

What he said - and I am not above a full strip and repair as you may know... sometimes though it's just not worth the hassle when a working model will come along almost immediately. I now also steer away from anything shuttery unless it's a camera I really want (like the Konica) and couldn't afford a working model.

Oh yeah, sometimes I'll do it for fun as well but that's different :LOL:

Arthur

Back