Nikon FF Wide Angle

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

I'm looking at getting something a bit wider to use on the D750. I currently have a Nikon18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, which I think is fantastic (sharp, small and light), but i would like to go for something much wider than 18mm for astrophotography and automotive stuff mostly. I miss the POV from the Sigma 10-20mm I used to have on DX.

I have a couple of good reviews of the Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye and it seems a perfect lens for what i need, with a nice 180 degree field of view with little distortion. However there are only a handful of reviews online so sample variation kinda puts me off, and the price is still quite high in the UK at £389 (£300 grey) compared to £279 for the more popular Samyang 14mm f2.8. I have not seen any used ones for sale.

But here's the thing; For the price of the Samyang 12mm (and if I were to sell the 18-35) I'm getting close to the price of a used Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 (£750-£850 in classifieds here, against £389+£350ish). One of the greatest wide angles of all time, one of the 'trinity', and way ahead of both the 18-35 and 12mm for build quality etc bit just not quite as wide.

So what do you think? Go for a 12mm fisheye to pair with my 18-35, or go for the 14-24 2.8 which would sit nicely in the bag with my 24-70? Is the image/build quality of the 14-24 worth giving up the 12mm fisheye field of view?

Do my man-maths add up?

Last edited:
No question.

f2.8 14mm-24mm every time.

(I speak from experience...my fav of the holy trinity).

A few options.
Nikkor 14-24 (if you can afford it!)
Sigma 12-24 (significantly cheaper and good copies do exist!)
Samyang/Sigma/Tamron 14mm (might take some searching to find the AF options)
Sigma/Samyang 8mm (if you don't mind fisheyes.
FWIW, although I could afford the 14-24, the Sigma 12-24 I've got is a good, sharp one and is possible better corrected for distortion than the Nikkor. Not as fast but since I usually use it down at f/8, that makes no difference to me. Exaggerated perspective is a result of the laws of physics, not distortion!
IIRC, the Samyangs have automatic apertures in the Nikon fit but are manual focus. The Tamron 14mm is AF.
Fisheyes are fun! One trick ponies - can't be denied BUT they're the only ponies that can do the trick.

14-24 is superb image quality but big bulbous front element and limited filters ... if you can cope with that it must be 1st choice.

Thanks for the replies.

Filters aren't a huge issue for me, I can use them on either the 14-24 or 12mm anyway.

I owned a few Sigma zooms over the years but was always a bit disappointed with the sharpness on a couple of them and had to upgrade to Nikkor equivalent anyway. I know they have improved over the last few years, and the 10-20mm I had was excellent, however where possible I'd prefer to stick to Nikon OE for a wide-angle zoom.

If I was going with an ultra wide zoom I'd get the Tamron 15-30

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was going with an ultra wide zoom I'd get the Tamron 15-30

I agree. According to the tests etc, and reviews it's a cracking lens if you need a UWA zoom.

The zooms whether Tamron or Nikon are a good bet unless you are walking long distances in the middle of the night to get to locations. The weight would put me right off if I did need to hike.

Definitely tamron 15-30. Probably more useful focal range than 12-24. 24 is wide on FF and 30 is a lot better

I'll take a look at the Tamron 15-30, seems like a good lens, but we are getting further from my original aim of being very wide at 12mm. I know 3mm isn't much but at the wide end dealing with fisheyes it makes a huge difference.

Just to illustrate, This SLRLounge review shows a comparison between the Samyang (AKA Rokinon) 12mm f2.8 fisheye and the Samyang 14mm f2.8 and the difference between them is surprising. The 12mm image has some lens calibration applied to lessen the fisheye effect.

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC:
08-rokinon-12mm-fisheye-lens-review.jpg

Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 ED AS IF NCS UMC Fisheye:
09-rokinon-12mm-fisheye-lens-review.jpg

That would lead me back to maybe the wider Sigma 12-24 option, but it's a slower lens so not so great for Astrophotography.

Is there any other fast lenses out there in the 12-14mm range?

Back