Nikon Film Body?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm wondering about the possibility of getting a autofocus film body.

My current range of lenses include some AF-S and DAF. Would I be able to use these with a film body? What possible options might I have if I didn't want to spend top dollar?

Nikon F5 can be picked up for around the £300-£350 mark with some bargains passing on ebay at a little over £200. F100 is around the £200 mark and has the benefit of being much smaller & lighter than the F5.

You'll be able to use all af-s lenses with the two cameras listed above but beware that DX lenses will vignette badly on full-frame (I see you have a D700 so no doubt know of this already).

Thanks for that. :) An F5 is probably more than I want to spend.

I know I said AF, but part of me is also willing to consider a manual film body. Looking at KR's compatibility chart, it appears as though G lenses will work with some. Without an aperture ring, how can they work?

Any suggestions on the cheaper manual film bodies also welcome :)

I would go for either a F100 (I got one for under £200 boxed and unused) or an F5 (or 6 if you have unlimited funds!). The F5 is much bigger/heavier though - not ideal if this is just for a spare film body to carry in your bag and only use occasionally.

for a more manual camera that wont work with g type lenses, the FM2n would be my choice.

Thanks for that. :) An F5 is probably more than I want to spend.

I know I said AF, but part of me is also willing to consider a manual film body. Looking at KR's compatibility chart, it appears as though G lenses will work with some. Without an aperture ring, how can they work?

Any suggestions on the cheaper manual film bodies also welcome :)

the aperture is changed using a wheel or button on the body ,,as for manual focus the fm's are hard to beat

F100 is the way to go IMO - Not so big and heavy as the F5, not so expensive as the F6 and far better built than the F80/F75/F65 etc.

Uncle Ken loves the F75

I've just dug out my F65 and am putting some film through it as we speak. I'd forgotten how loud the autofocus is on non AF-S lenses. Or that one anyway.

I'd advise against you getting an F65 if you want to guarantee any level of control though - it also doesn't have a second dial so if you're in manual you have to press a shift button to adjust the aperture. This didn't bother me at the time as I never used anything but P when I got it but bugs the hell out of me now.

It's light as a feather though!

Go for an F4, great cameras and good exercise at the same time. I picked one up on ebay for a very reasonable price.

I bought a F80, they handle G lens, VR etc etc in fact all the lenses from my digital cameras just attach and work the same. They are cheap too at around £50 and there are plenty about.

I umm'd and arrr'd, but eventually decided to go fully manual and got a minty FM2n :)

The F100 was probably going to be my choice of AF body.

Thanks for everyone's input. (y)

I umm'd and arrr'd, but eventually decided to go fully manual and got a minty FM2n :)

Good choice. I have an FM and an F2, and still prefer the fully mechanical/manual Nikon bodies. The F3 introduced aperture priority AE and AF arrived with the F4. All retrograde steps for people like me, and welcomed by everyone else!

I would probably go with the F100 if I wanted an AF Nikon film body. The F5 and F6 are far more than I need.

good choice ,,,i think you'll be happy with it

Back