Nikon Flash Cord...

Name
James Stockton
Edit My Images
Yes
Daft question alert. Just I need a flash cord within the next few days and I'm not sure which one to buy!

It'll be used with my D200 and SB-600. Now the SC-17 is quite old but also quite cheap, my kind of cheap. But will this work with my gear with TTL? Just that the SC-28 etc are so much more expensive, why is this? :shrug:

Thanks

The SC28 and mine the 29 are fab bits of kits - that are massively overpriced too!

If in doubt phone Grays of Westminster and ask them what leads works with your kit, they may have some used ones in they can sell you (though they are not a cheap company to deal with)

The SC-29 I bought as it also has additional lighting as a focus aid for low light work

Why do you need one anyway? People shots? Macro?

DD

Thanks, I need one for some people shots. I have a wireless transmitted but that doesnt support TTL, its ok for some subjects when the flash is miles away from the camera but when I just want to lift it a foot or so to the side, TTL would be better.

I have found that the cheaper SC-17 works with the SB-600, but I just want to know if it will support TTL too.

Here's what Microglobe's site says of it...

AV Cable Type Flash Synchro Cable Cable Features Coiled Legth: About 5 feet(1.5m) Left Connector Flash terminal Right Connector Flash terminal Description of Nikon SC-17 TTL Sync Ext Cord about 5 feet Nikon SC-17 Sync Extension Cord Connects Nikon TTL Speedlights to selected Nikon SLRs with standard ISO accessory shoe, Nikon SC-17 Sync Extension Cord maintains TTL control. Nikon SC-17 Sync Extension Cord is Approx. 5' long. See Nikon SC-17 Sync Extension Cord web site Click here to visit other Nikon Products like Nikon SC-17 Sync Extension Cord by Nikon Manufacturer. Microglobe offers discount low price on Nikon SC-17 Sync Extension Cord and we also affirm that our price is lowest and best on Nikon SC-17 Sync Extension Cord as compare to any other store UK. You can tell us if you find Nikon SC17 Sync Extension Cord cheaper in any store in UK who got it in stock Other Related Products Nikon SC-28 SC28 Dedicated 3' TTL Coiled Sync Cord with ISO Shoe Nikon SC-29 SC29 Dedicated TTL Coiled Sync Extension Cord

So yes, TTL is supported

DD

JimBob, I have an SC-29 you can borrow for a few weeks, I don't use it that much these days as I usually use CLS (have you considered using your D200 in Commander mode?).

Colin.

Cheers Hacker. I'll get abck to your if I cant find one this weekend :)

Commander mode eh? Does that work with the SB-600? Tell me more :D

Cheers Hacker. I'll get abck to your if I cant find one this weekend :)

Commander mode eh? Does that work with the SB-600? Tell me more :D

From what I remember of my D200 you need to pop up the on board flash and go to Menu > Custom Setting Menu (Pencil symbol on the left) > e Bracketing/Flash > e3 Built in flash > Commander Mode. Go to the first box right of where it says Built in and scroll down until -- is entered in the box. You are now able to fire a remote gun without using the onboard flash although the pre-flash will still fire.

Now take your SB-600, press ZOOM and the "-" button at the same time for about two seconds and new information will appear in the window, press the + or - buttons until the wireless symbol appears which is a like a squiggly arrow, above it should be the word OFF in capital letters, press the mode button once and this will change to On, now presss the ZOOM and "-" button again for a couple of seconds and the window display will change to show that you are now in wireless mode. Make sure your Channel (CH) and GROUP are the same as your camera, for ease of use I would set your Channel to 1 and your Group to A. You are now in wireless mode with full iTTL functionality without the need for any cables. You just need to make sure that the range is not too far and remember that the IR sensor thingy on the side of the flash gun (small, round and next to the battery chamber) is pointing towards the camera.

Alternatively, you could RTFM. :LOL:

The SC-28 is the upraded version of the SC-17, it has the newer type foot lock (same as the one on the SB-600), but apart from that it is more or less the same thing.

From what I remember of my D200 you need to pop up the on board flash and go to Menu > Custom Setting Menu (Pencil symbol on the left) > e Bracketing/Flash > e3 Built in flash > Commander Mode. Go to the first box right of where it says Built in and scroll down until -- is entered in the box. You are now able to fire a remote gun without using the onboard flash although the pre-flash will still fire.

Now take your SB-600, press ZOOM and the "-" button at the same time for about two seconds and new information will appear in the window, press the + or - buttons until the wireless symbol appears which is a like a squiggly arrow, above it should be the word OFF in capital letters, press the mode button once and this will change to On, now presss the ZOOM and "-" button again for a couple of seconds and the window display will change to show that you are now in wireless mode. Make sure your Channel (CH) and GROUP are the same as your camera, for ease of use I would set your Channel to 1 and your Group to A. You are now in wireless mode with full iTTL functionality without the need for any cables. You just need to make sure that the range is not too far and remember that the IR sensor thingy on the side of the flash gun (small, round and next to the battery chamber) is pointing towards the camera.

Alternatively, you could RTFM. :LOL:

Right, i'm going to dig out the manual again! I wasnt really interested in flash when I bought the D200 so I kind of missed that section of the manual out....

Cheers Colin, I appriciate your help! Just one more question if I dare... in commander mode, the pop up flash will always fire when the photo is taken? So I have flash from 2 different directions on my subject?

in commander mode, the pop up flash will always fire when the photo is taken? So I have flash from 2 different directions on my subject?

If you follow the directions above re the camera menu (the -- setting) the pre-flash will fire but not the actual flash, what this means is that the flash on the camera will emit a burst a split second before the main flash is fired, this allows the CLS to work it's magic by reading the light coming back from the subject and adjusting the iTTL accordingly. It will look like the flash is firing at the same time but believe me it won't. You can also set it to fire the on board flash at the same time if you so desire.

Ah right, but... I have just taken a picture in the mirror to see if they both fire and it seems they do?

EDIT, ah anything under 1/320th second it does but that it understandable.

So why would people need to use a cord or a wireless transmitter?

Sorry for all the questions, I'll keep you busy all day :D

Ah right, but... I have just taken a picture in the mirror to see if they both fire and it seems they do?

EDIT, ah anything under 1/320th second it does but that it understandable.

So why would people need to use a cord or a wireless transmitter?

Sorry for all the questions, I'll keep you busy all day :D

Yours can't see round corners or behind you !!!

DD

You mean there arent lenses that can do this already? :LOL:

The 'spy' 90 degree lens attachment comes close :LOL:

But no - your remote flash won't fire if it doesn't have a good line of sight with the commander; whereas a cable or radio trigger works without such problems

DD

I thought I new everything about my D200, I cant believe it has kept secrets from me all this time. I'll be having serious words with it later. I'm not sure it even deserves a new flash cord now :LOL:

Do Nikon do a wireless transmitter that supports TTL?

I thought I new everything about my D200, I cant believe it has kept secrets from me all this time. I'll be having serious words with it later. I'm not sure it even deserves a new flash cord now :LOL:

Do Nikon do a wireless transmitter that supports TTL?

Yes - sneaky buggers aren't they :shake:

Those damned manufacturers keep hiding important stuff in those Manuals they give us all - very sneaky :LOL:

If Nikon do one, it'll be more expensive than others do - don't (yet) use them myself so can't help there m8

(y)

DD

the 29 has af assist on it ,,,i would have gone for that one

Another daft question but do the nikon flash cords work ok with sigma flashes namely the 530 DG ST?

I also have a D40 so which cord do I need?

if the sigma works ok on the d40 hotshoe then it will work with a cord ( sc 29 )

I've noticed some cheap sc29's on ebay from hong kong/ china. Should these be avoided?

Back