Nikon Flash options

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening All

Thoughts on the best flash for use with D850, mostly going to be used for wildlife and then some indoor work like family and pets. Almost certain won’t be used off camera or part of a studio setup.

I hear that there are good non Nikon option for more reasonable money ? Or should I stay branded. Not had a flash since running cannot and had a 530EX that did all I needed and more.

Thanks in advance

Rob

I’d suggest Godox Rob, have a look on Lencarta or Essential Photo sites. I have (too) many flashes but if starting again I would go straight to Godox. The V860ii has Lithium batteries and a pretty good spec. I don’t shoot wildlife though so others on here may have better suggestions for that.

Godox V860II is what I use on camera (hotshoe) for wildlife... it zooms to 200mm and I don't normally bother with any additional focusing aid (i.e. "beemer").

I also have/use a Godox AD200 with remote head mounted onto the lens hood of my 400/2.8... that is quite a bit more cumbersome but best for use from inside a vehicle. And I have also mounted both the V860 and the AD200 directly on the lens hood... but the much lighter weight of the remote head is better (these options also require a transmitter).

But the truth is that I seldom use either for wildlife; the most common use for me is off-camera (i.e. at hummingbird feeders).

I like the Godox V860II but it does overheat more quickly than the SB-700 I have which means I'm not so keen on it as my main on body flash due to my photography habits.

stick with branded i use the nikon sb 900 fantastic flash
im sure it zooms from 18-200 i think

I have the SB-700 which is a very good flash without being quite as big and heavy as the SB-900. I’ve never found that I need more oomph than that 700 gives me.

I have it, not overly thrilled w/ it; it's very big and fairly heavy... it's also rather floppy. There's the better beemer which I'm equally not fond of (also own, never use). And the Harbor Digital version which I think it probably the best of the lot depending on how you define the criteria (used, but don't own).
I generally don't bother with any of them... it is less beneficial with a flash that has more power and longer zoom. I also don't use any kind of bracket to place the flash higher... they make about zero sense for wildlife/long lenses.

I have it, not overly thrilled w/ it; it's very big and fairly heavy... it's also rather floppy. There's the better beemer which I'm equally not fond of (also own, never use). And the Harbor Digital version which I think it probably the best of the lot depending on how you define the criteria (used, but don't own).
I generally don't bother with any of them... it is less beneficial with a flash that has more power and longer zoom. I also don't use any kind of bracket to place the flash higher... they make about zero sense for wildlife/long lenses.
I agree that the Better Beamer is poor, both in design and use but the Magmod I find secure and its design enables it to be adjustable (narrow/wide beam).

Back