Nikon FM repair or bin?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I've been given a Nikon FM with two lenses, a 50mm f2 and a 55mm f3.5. The camera is in very good condition with a few battle scars, the lenses are in excellent condition, snappy iris blades and fungus free. The camera shutter only fires at one speed, sounds like 1/60th. I've fitted fresh batteries but it makes no difference. Assuming it needs repairing, is it worth it? I'm not familiar with Nikons so I don't know anything about it. Any help would be appreciated.

That,s a strange one as the batteries are for the meter only, all other functions for the camera are manual.

If it is firing one speed irrespective of where the speed dial is placed then at least the shutter is OK and it may be an easy fix when Cla,d.

Great camera well worth undertaking.(y)

PS. Just had a thought, put the speed dial on 250th and cock and fire the shutter say 100 times,it may be just lack of use.

Last edited:
That,s a strange one as the batteries are for the meter only, all other functions for the camera are manual.

DOH!! :banghead: Makes sense now. Anyway, I'll give the shutter a workout and see what happens.

Thanks for the other replies, Guys (y) Looks like it's off to Miles Whitehead for a CLA.

PS, I take it the two lenses are OK qualty wise?

DOH!! :banghead: Makes sense now. Anyway, I'll give the shutter a workout and see what happens.

Thanks for the other replies, Guys (y) Looks like it's off to Miles Whitehead for a CLA.

PS, I take it the two lenses are OK qualty wise?

You would need to check that the 50mm f2 is AI mount and not pre-AI, if it is pre-AI then it will still work by using the lens tab on the mount and with stop down metering only,but,
a good performer.

The 55mm f3.5 sounds like the lens with micro facility and is very nice and if used with a PK13 extension tube will give you 1:1.

Last edited:
You would need to check that the 50mm f2 is AI mount and not pre-AI, if it is pre-AI then it will still work by using the lens tab on the mount and with stop down metering only,but,
a good performer.

The 55mm f3.5 sounds like the lens with micro facility and is very nice and if used with a PK13 extension tube will give you 1:1.

The 50mm f2 is pre AI and I’ve found the lens tab. The 55mm f3.5 is the one with micro facility and I’ll have a scout around for an extension tube, see what they cost. Hopefully all it needs is a CLA from Miles and I’ve got myself a little cracker. Hope I don’t GAS for Nikon stuff, SWMBO is handy with garden shears

Very good lenses and you can get by with shots using these lenses, but for the camera to be more useful would need 24mm or 28mm maybe later a 135mm (but Nikon are more expensive)...but no problem as there are other makes we can advise you on which are cheaper and only pixel peeping would show the difference.
Enjoy as the FM is a nice camera and I do have one.

Very good lenses and you can get by with shots using these lenses, but for the camera to be more useful would need 24mm or 28mm maybe later a 135mm (but Nikon are more expensive)...but no problem as there are other makes we can advise you on which are cheaper and only pixel peeping would show the difference.
Enjoy as the FM is a nice camera and I do have one.

Nikon lenses are relatively cheap second hand. I paid £37 on ebay for my 135mm f3.5 ai, around £100 for a 35mm f2.8 ai

Have a look on Instagram for @renatorepetto. He has been championing the Micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5 for a while now. He uses his mostly with a Nikon F2 and shoots for maximum depth of field and resolution.
The 50mm f2 is pre AI and I’ve found the lens tab. The 55mm f3.5 is the one with micro facility and I’ll have a scout around for an extension tube, see what they cost. Hopefully all it needs is a CLA from Miles and I’ve got myself a little cracker. Hope I don’t GAS for Nikon stuff, SWMBO is handy with garden shears

Have a look on Instagram for @renatorepetto. He has been championing the Micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5 for a while now. He uses his mostly with a Nikon F2 and shoots for maximum depth of field and resolution.

maximum depth of field ????

Yes, he often shoots at f32 to get as much as possible in focus.

Most lenses are not optically at their best stopped well down, but anyone with a VG lens can set the lens at it's best optical F stop and use focus stacking...I've never tried it (maybe someone has on film?)....... but some digi guys do.

Most lenses are not optically at their best stopped well down, but anyone with a VG lens can set the lens at it's best optical F stop and use focus stacking...I've never tried it (maybe someone has on film?)....... but some digi guys do.
That was my understanding also. However Renatto has shared a lot of work shot at f16 or above and he's made some great images. I'm not saying that everyone should do that, only that he has and it's interesting to see the results he achieves. The Micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5 is clearly no slouch.

As you say, for the best possible sharpness/ resolution it's probably best to shoot between f8 and f11.

Back