Nikon FM3A with Nikkor 50mm f1.2 lens

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
OK you photo guys is this the best or not combination, that Nikon has ever produced and that statement encompasses all traits of film photography.

Reason I ask I am about to consider relieving myself of this kit and need advise.

I will only diverse myself of the two items as it would be painful to have one without the other.

Help please.

If this wasn't a horrendously painful time of year for me financially, I'd offer to relieve you of that FM3a :/

Personally I'm not a fan of 50mm on 35mm cameras, so I'd probably go with a 35mm or 28mm lens myself.

Probably, I have the FM2A and 55mm f1.2 and it's a fantastic combination. It can be difficult to sell such brilliant kit but sometimes it has to be done.

Wouldn't part with the 50mm f1.2 myself as it is a phenomenal little lens if a bit weighty. At f2 it is stunningly sharp, massively better than the f1.4 & f1.8 and the 9 blade diaphragm makes nicer stars on point lights. But all said, i use mine on my digital body so it sees a lot of use, my f5 rarely sees the light of day as i scarcely use 35mm film now.

OK you photo guys is this the best or not combination, that Nikon has ever produced and that statement encompasses all traits of film photography.

Reason I ask I am about to consider relieving myself of this kit and need advise.

I will only diverse myself of the two items as it would be painful to have one without the other.

Help please.

I guess this will come down to whether you intend to keep shooting 35mm and what alternatives you have. I've effectively stopped shooting 35mm but can't bring myself to get shot of my cameras, mainly because they aren't worth that much and I might use them again someday. The FM3A was always an aspiration, but I've not used one and can't compare it with the F3 and FE2 that I have. Also haven't used the 50mm f1.2, but if it's so much better than the 1.4 and 1.8, I'd really be tempted to hang onto it. It might be worth speaking to someone like Grays of Westminster to see what they would pay for it (they haven't got a 1.2 but their FM3A prices are breathtaking (y))

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/secondhand.php?cat1=1&pg=1

Probably, I have the FM2A and 55mm f1.2 and it's a fantastic combination. It can be difficult to sell such brilliant kit but sometimes it has to be done.

Your camera mirror, focusing etc must be spot on as using wide open must be more difficult......the digi guys say the Minolta equivalent is excellent....I assume they use something like a focusing red light indicator on a digi camera

Last edited:

Having never owned the FM3A, I can't say wether I would consider it to be "the best" that Nikon everr produced.

It's all a matter of what any given individual sees in a piece of kit tbh.

I presently have my F2 and F3 up for sale, much as many people believe that they are the bees knees, I personally dislike them in comparison to the F and the FE2.

I do wonder that as you place the outfit upon such a high pedastal, why are you wishing to sell it?

I had both in my arsenal at one point and they are fantastic. However I was a tiny bit disappointed with the FM3A winder which didn't feel quite a silky smooth as the ones I'd experienced on FE/FE2, FM/FM2, Nikkormat, F2, F3 bodies. Perhaps it was just the example I had, but it was slightly disappointing given how expensive it is/was. I have sometimes wondered if I ought to try another example but probably never will because I can't really justify so much money tied up in a 35mm SLR body with little extra I need over the cheaper models.

As for the lens, I sold it a couple of years ago to raise some cash, and again, I rarely wish for what it offers over the f1.4. But for whatever reason, I can honestly say some of the best photos I've ever taken were with that lens (usually paired with an FA, if I remember right), and I'm quite prepared to believe there is something slightly magical about it.

Thanks so far guys,plenty to think about.

Having never owned the FM3A, I can't say wether I would consider it to be "the best" that Nikon everr produced.

It's all a matter of what any given individual sees in a piece of kit tbh.

I presently have my F2 and F3 up for sale, much as many people believe that they are the bees knees, I personally dislike them in comparison to the F and the FE2.

I do wonder that as you place the outfit upon such a high pedastal, why are you wishing to sell it?

I have so many Nikon,s something has to give and selling from the top seems the best idea. No point getting peanuts for my FM2n.

I did not see your add for the F2,I like those. :)

Last edited:

I have so many Nikon,s something has to give and selling from the top seems the best idea. No point getting peanuts for my FM2A.

I did not see your add for the F2,I like those. :)

more chance of seeing a unicorn than an fm2a i think :D

Back