Nikon Full Frame?

Edit My Images
Yes
It's been mentioned on several other forums that Nikon might be bringing out a full frame dslr in the near future. Is anyone here in the know?

Publicly, Nikon say they are committed to the DX format. I dont know any more than this, but I would be surprised if they did.

I asked them directly and got this quote:

"Currently we do not produce a Full Frame DSLR" (Interesting choice of words).

As far as I know Nikon have never stated that they will not be producing a full frame DSLR. They always state what they are "currently" doing. I'm interested in what they are "going to be doing" ;)

That rumour has been doing the rounds since 2002 ;)

So you think it's false?

Well, it has been up until now..... you'll always get the "hedge my bets" statements! And the last thing they'll do is let the Gas Fire Brigade know what they're up to! :LOL:

Too many gaps in Nikon's FF lens department to go Full Frame right this moment..... I would be surprised if I'm wrong within the next twelve months.

Doesn't Nikon bringing out a FF camera depend on how far Sony are have got on with developing the sensor?

That depends if Nikon continues to use Sony for it's sensor production I suppose.

Indeed. And spent a fortune on DX lenses.

who else will Nikon get a FF sensor from though? I very much doubt they'll start developing their own and seeing as Canon are the only manufacturer I know of that uses FF they're not going to get them from their number one competitor either.

Would love to know who makes the CMOS in Nikon's D2x and D2xs??

Has this been made public yet or am I just way behind:thinking:

Think it's Sony.

Dunno about Sony
The a100 is a product of a merger between KM and Sony. None of these have cmos sensors that I know about.

The only other that produces cmos (that I know about) is Canon...

Could it be.....:thinking: :cautious: :D

Not to hijack the thread but if Nikon ever makes a FF I will be the first to buy one.

Nikon's pixel count/ mm square is way beyond Canon so given constant resolutions the Nikon in FF should be AWESOME(y)

Well this is my thinking too. I'd really like a FF camera as I'm leaning more towards landscapes these days. But I'd really like it to be a Nikon as I like the build quality/ergonomics.
I'm going to hang fire and wait to see if anything is announced at PMA 07.

I'm not convinced there's much of an advantage for FF. Then again, FF would give about 20MP if the same dpi was maintained, but still, I can print A3 or bigger just fine with the current kit.

who else will Nikon get a FF sensor from though? I very much doubt they'll start developing their own and seeing as Canon are the only manufacturer I know of that uses FF they're not going to get them from their number one competitor either.

The Olympus E1 is full frame.

Its a bit 50/50 at the moment. The only DX lens' are of wide and standard zoom lenghts. They have yet to announce a 70-200 replacement and the recently released 70-300 is a full frame lens. If they were really dedicated to DX format then surely, by now, we would be able to get DX format telephoto lens'? Think they might have a high end model with a FF sensor in the future.

King.

The Olympus E1 is full frame.

King.

The E-1 is a 4/3 aspect ratio with a sensor measuring 18.0 x 13.5 mm.

I cannot on the rest of the post as I don't really understand what you are saying:shrug: :bonk: :D

been making those for a while now haven't they?

They were in dev for an age, but yes, they've been in use since the D2H
"Full" frame, just like any other frame, is swings and roundabouts. The advantages it offers are disadvantages for others (perhaps the majority) and you need top drawer glass to make it shine.

Really want a Nikon ff camera right now? Get a film body and film scanner.

And you know this how?

Do you have a link?

TA!!

Must be honest: I missed it on dpreview (and still do:bang: )

The robgalbraith link very useful - thanks(y)

As no doubt you will see by my erratic posting I don't get to chat or read up a lot lately:bang: :bang:

In this regard see my new thread in OOF:bonk:

Back