Nikon FX (affordable) wide angle

Edit My Images
Yes
All,

I am looking for a wide angle lens to include in my gear. My budget doesn't stretch to either the tamron 15-30 or nikon 14-24...
Whilst I prefer prime lenses - I shoot mainly action at the moment and the flexibility of a zoom does come in handy.

Therefore, I have narrowed it down to two (second hand, trying to spend as little as possible!):

Nikon 18-35 af-d
Tokina 17-35 f4

I have found reviews that speak highly of the tokina - I am not too worried about edge-to-edge sharpness as most of my shots have people in the centre - and I am not a pro landscape photographer!

I have also found some positive reviews for the nikon - but then some users really slating it...

Cameras this will be used on:
D810
D3s
D3

Thoughts?

Nikon 18-35 G version is very good. A lot better than the old one.

How much is as little as possible?

You can pick up a Vivitar 19-35 for around £70 or the slightly better copy (as the front element doesn't rotate on focussing) Tamron 19-35 for around £100.

They also do that19-35 lens branded as Cosina. It’s actually not that bad.

How much is as little as possible?

You can pick up a Vivitar 19-35 for around £70 or the slightly better copy (as the front element doesn't rotate on focussing) Tamron 19-35 for around £100.
They also do that19-35 lens branded as Cosina. It’s actually not that bad.

The Vivitar/Cosina 19-35 is a reasonable (and VERY cheap!) entrée into wide angle but it does distort a fair bit. If you want a bit (quite a big bit!) wider with next to no distortion (extreme perspective but very little rectilinear distortion), the Sigma 12-24 is pretty much the only affordable option. Make sure you get a sharp copy - some people have reported significant softness.

Thank you gents.

I have looked at the sigma 12-24 as well but there are a number of different versions!

I'd love a used 16-35, but they seem to hold their money really well.
I wont be using this a huge amount, most of my work is on the telephoto side of things, so not looking to break the bank.

I am pretty sold on a used tokina 17-35 as that seems to be the best value - or are they horrendous ?

Thanks

just to add to the mix.

tamron have a new 17-35 f2.8 to f4 out which takes 77mm filters. its available at a little over 400 new in a few places.

beats my 15-30 tamron in virtually every area except contrast for astro work on a d850. By comparison its tiny and light.

Nikon 18-35 G version is very good. A lot better than the old one.
Better, but not 'a lot' better in my experience of using both on D700 and D3s.

The 20mm AF-D is pretty neat for an occasional wide experience.

Agree with Zeameth, the tamron 17-35 is a cracking lens. I've not tried the tamron 15-30 but it was certainly a better performer than my copy of the nikon 16-35. And a lot more compact.

Back