Nikon FX - Which body ?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Guys

Always shot with a DX body but now I've managed to get the 'holy trinity' of lenses so I am considering a move to Full Frame.

But what body ?

D600 ?

D610 ?

D700 ?

D750 ?

D800 ?

D810 ?

There seems to have been a flurry of FX bodies come to the market over the last couple of years and it would be interesting to get some views on the pros and cons

Cheers

Body depends on what you want it for and what you need it to do.

Some of those you have quoted are merely upgrades to earlier models that you have also listed. Features and price therefore will be affected.

What do you shoot, how robust and waterproof does it need to be, does size and weight come into your considerations?

Do you want to be able to add a handgrip/extended battery usage?

What budget do you have?

Last edited:
My view fwiw

D600 - fine if you like changing oil ;) - other than oil excellent IQ - I'd avoid now, is replaced by the D610
D610 - fine as long as you don't need critical low light AF, excellent IQ
D700 - still a competent camera but outclassed now in IQ terms by more recent bodies - bullet proof build
D750 - probably the best all rounder
D800/E - pro build, excellent IQ
D810 - improves on the D800 in just about every and is it's replacement. Probably the best IQ of any DSLR.

No Nikon FX DSLR is waterproof, but all of the FX bodies are weather sealed, allegedly the D6xx is sealed to the same standard as the D8xx series. I'd be slightly less confident in the D750 as it has the tilty screen doobrie which may be one area that is less weather proof.

I should add, the difference in IQ between the D6xx, D750 and D8xx is minimal in real terms.

My view fwiw

D600 - fine if you like changing oil ;) - other than oil excellent IQ - I'd avoid now, is replaced by the D610
D610 - fine as long as you don't need critical low light AF, excellent IQ
D700 - still a competent camera but outclassed now in IQ terms by more recent bodies - bullet proof build
D750 - probably the best all rounder
D800/E - pro build, excellent IQ
D810 - improves on the D800 in just about every and is it's replacement. Probably the best IQ of any DSLR.

No Nikon FX DSLR is waterproof, but all of the FX bodies are weather sealed, allegedly the D6xx is sealed to the same standard as the D8xx series. I'd be slightly less confident in the D750 as it has the tilty screen doobrie which may be one area that is less weather proof.

Spot on, all are good but depends what you need...

I've used a D700 & D610 in the past and for some reason I preferred the "look" of D700 output even though probably not as good as d610 in technical terms. The build quality also seemed a lot better.

Body depends on what you want it for and what you need it to do.
Good advice. If you can't answer these questions, then the whole "upgrade to FX" thing is a solution looking for a problem.

Nobody has mentioned the D3/4 series (or how much the OP has to spend, which is probably quite relevant) :(

Yeah, I agree with you. I was thinking along the lines of "D810 is new, D700's are S/H now so why not consider S/H D3/4"?

Thanks for the feedback guys, Budget is a consideration, sadly I haven't got D3s or D4s money but I have a few bits of kit to sell to help fund the purchase so anything under £1500 I'd say

I am a music photographer so low light performance is critical

I listed all the models, original and upgrade, in case the originals were still contenders as they seem to be good value on the second hand market

You can easily pick up a s/h D3 / D3s for that sort of money, have change for a lens and still have cracking performance in low light.

Like a new car on the forecourt you pay a huge premium for the latest model.

I was surprised to see a D3s at MPB tonight for around £1275 as I always thought they fetched around the £1800-2000 which is why I hadn't considered one.

How do they stack up against the latest technology in the D810 for example ?

I picked up a D750 with 24-120 kit from Panamoz for £1650, an absolute bargain imo. Really loving the output & that's having just come from a Fuji XT1.

Off topic but I also I also grabbed a 50 1.4g & 85 1.4D - I was slightly sceptical about buying the older 85 1.4 D, but wow this thing is beautifully sharp from 1.4, it's one of those lenses I have the feeling will stay in my position for ever!

If you're not wanting the 24-120, you could sell it off and still have great deal on a D750 body. Just a thought.

I was surprised to see a D3s at MPB tonight for around £1275 as I always thought they fetched around the £1800-2000 which is why I hadn't considered one.

In all honesty if absolute image quality is your most critical factor go d8XX, else the d3s possibly edges it for the money

Having used the D810 for around 6 months I think I would struggle to move to anything with lower resolution. For wildlife the cropability (is that a real word :) ) of the images is fantastic, the dynamic range is great and high ISO is very good. The D3 and D4 will shoot faster and be better in low light but I don't think I miss those features.

The D810 is also has ISO 64.

Dave.

For gig photography D750 would be ideal IMO. High ISO performance, amazing low light AF and a compact body.

Reactions: BBR
For gig photography high ISO performance is key, therefore I would go for D750 over the D8xx. A second hand D3s has a better build quality than a D750 and more professional ergonomics but although the D3s has good high ISO capabilities, from what I have seen the D750 will be better in this regard.
If I were you I would be looking for a low mileage D3s

I thought I'd read a few articles that said the D750 and D810 were pretty much the same ISO NOISE when using the same sized samples.

I am not someone who winds the ISO up high when I work, I very rarely shoot over 1600, but its things like autofocus performance in low light that is a consideration.

That said when I moved from the D7000 to the D7100 I was able to push the ISO a little higher without any noticeable addition of noise.

I just bought my first Fx body the D3,was on a tight budget but wanted something good at low light situations.Ive not been disappointed,I'm really impressed with the results when I crank the ISO up.

I am not someone who winds the ISO up high when I work, I very rarely shoot over 1600, but its things like autofocus performance in low light that is a consideration.

That said when I moved from the D7000 to the D7100 I was able to push the ISO a little higher without any noticeable addition of noise.
If you don't shoot over 1600 ISO, the D700 would be the best value, without a doubt.

Hmmmm might try and get a D700 as a back up body, but looking at the comments above it would seem the D750 is a hot contender

D750 is a gem, but obviously £600-900 more expensive than a used D700.

Price isn't really the issue, within reason as I have a lot of kit to sell on to help fund any future purchase, its more about picking the right FX body and judging by this post a D750 seems to be the one to go for. Which is great news, I now have something to aim for. Thank you to everyone who's replied its been a great help

Back