Beginner Nikon Landscape Lens - Looking to upgrade

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering if someone can help me.

I'm looking to upgrade my current landscape lens which is a Nikon 16-85mm 3.5-5.6 G ED DX lens.

I can trade in this lens, together with a good condition Nikon D90 and its supplied 18 - 105mm kit lens.

Can somebody give me a recommendation what I should consider?

Thanks in anticipation

What's your budget? And camera?
Does it have to be a Nikon lens? Or just Nikon fit?

Last edited:
I'm not bother if it is a Nikon, It just needs to be a Nikon Fit and budget wise, with my trade in items included I think it might be around the £700 mark.
My current camera is a Nikon d7100.

What kind of focal length do you want?

The 16-85 is a pretty versatile lens, why isn't it working for you?

What kind of focal length do you want?

The 16-85 is a pretty versatile lens, why isn't it working for you?

It just does'nt seem sharp front to back. I'm finding it quite soft around the edges.
I like the focal length though. I already have a 11 - 16mm wide angled lens

Last edited:
It just does'nt seem sharp front to back. I'm finding it quite soft around the edges.

What do you mean by front to back sharp? Are you stopping down? How are you focussing? Can you post any examples?

I had a Tokina 11-16 and that was a great lens for landscape. Slightly limited in the focal length but if you like vistas than it an option. Pushing the boat out to a Nikon 16-35 perhaps?, maybe pushing the budget of new but an awesome lens that covers a nice focal range !!!

The Nikon 10-24 as mentioned above is a great dx lens so if you anticipate staying dx then defiantly worth considering. But if you plan on going fx at some point then possible better to future proof if you will be spending that money!!!

What do you mean by Landscape lens? :thinking: You can use almost all lenses for Landscapes. I use the 16-85mm for most of mine, but I have used the Nikon 70-300mm in the past. I am about to get the Sigma 10-20mm for a wider view to take on holiday next week. I've been very happy with the lenses I have used. Hopefully the Sigma be as good, if not better.

Try and define what you can't do with what you have, and what you want to do, and 'we' may be able to point you in the right direction. ;)

Try and define what you can't do with what you have, and what you want to do, and 'we' may be able to point you in the right direction. ;)
Well said!

So is the issue a lack of edge sharpness from your 16-85? Can you confirm it's not technique i.e. you're stopping down to f8-11, using hyperfocal distance etc for the landscape work?

The 16-85 has a good reputation, but assuming your lens is OK and not a soft copy it may be worth looking at a couple of primes (say 20mm, 28mm) to cover what you need for most landscape.

Back