Nikon Lens Advice

Name
Perry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hoping it’s ok to ask for some lens advice, any help would be most appreciated.

First off budget is very limited (thanks to everything going up in the world except wages) so looking max £150 or below.

I generally take images of static vehicles and portraits of the kids and occasionally my sons football.

I currently have a Nikon D90 and use a Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM ll but the lens has become quite stiff when zooming. (MPB have offered £55 trade in)

So looking at these three options - which would you go for ?

1. Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR £154
2. Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR £109
3. Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM £129

Thanks in advance.

I would go for the Nikon over the Sigma, they are both older lenses, but the Nikon should give you the better image quality. I actually owned a Nikon 18-200 vr some years ago, and paired it with a Nikon D300, I used it in Thailand for a few weeks, and got some great images.

Last edited:
Does it have to be a zoom? This Nikon 50mm f1.8 is on WEX for £115 50mm at WEX and will equate to about 75mm on a DX camera.

Another vote for Nikon 18-200.

I had a Nikon 18-200 on a D90 and couldn't fault it.

Does it have to be a zoom? This Nikon 50mm f1.8 is on WEX for £115 50mm at WEX and will equate to about 75mm on a DX camera.
Ideally yes as I also take pictures of my son playing football.

I think the 18-200 Nikon is winning at the moment - also saw a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 -4 but again I think this would not be to good at sports but ideal for cars and daughters.

Ideally yes as I also take pictures of my son playing football.

I think the 18-200 Nikon is winning at the moment - also saw a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 -4 but again I think this would not be to good at sports but ideal for cars and daughters.
For portraits and walk about I have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which is very sharp and I used to use it with my d90. Holding onto both with the hope that the kids will be interested in photography and use it.

The 18-105mm was the original kit lens for the D90. I found it to be quite excellent on my D90. Although the build felt plasticky and it was quite light, I couldn't fault its performance. Both D90 and lens were replaced and I used the Nikon 16-85mm which became my "go to" lens on later Nikon DX camera bodies

I've had the second gen Nikkor 18-200mm VR twice now. Was very happy with them for what they were. Nice solid lens and saved me carrying multiple lenses due to having such a versatile zoom range. Downside of a focal range like that is distortion (though if you're already using a similar lens then that likely won't be an issue).

Thanks for all the advice, yesterday I tried with my current lens to capture my sons Saturday football team, will see what comes back from that thread to see if it's just me or the equipment I need to update (I have a feeling it's me)

Back