Nikon lens compatability

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Would it be correct to assume all AF-I, AF-S and DX Nikkor lenses will work with all Nikon crop bodies?
I am not a Nikon user :canon: but trying to get info for a family member. He is looking to purchase a cheap Nikon body that may come as body only and therefore requires to know what is compatatible.

It seems so complicated compared to Canon.

Yes is the short summary.

Some DX bodies don't have their own internal focus motor so rely on the lens to have its own motor. AF-S lenses and AF-I lenses have their own motors so will be fine. AF-I lenses are quite unusual though, I'm yet to see one.

DX lenses are designed for crop bodies and all have their own internal focus motors. The only complication might be very recent AF-P lenses which might not be compatible on some older crop bodies so just tread carefully with those.

@Peter10d good call on making him buy Nikon so that he can't borrow your lenses :) (you can borrow his though, adaptors for Nikon lenses to EOS bodies are a thing)

Yes is the short summary.

Some DX bodies don't have their own internal focus motor so rely on the lens to have its own motor. AF-S lenses and AF-I lenses have their own motors so will be fine. AF-I lenses are quite unusual though, I'm yet to see one.

DX lenses are designed for crop bodies and all have their own internal focus motors. The only complication might be very recent AF-P lenses which might not be compatible on some older crop bodies so just tread carefully with those.

Many thanks for the detailed reply

Back