Nikon Lens Repair - Auto focus not working

Name
Quaker
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a small problem with the autofocus on my 55-200 VR lens over the weekend, well small problem, maybe not. It wont autofocus and I just get a whirring sound instead so I need to send it for repair.

Its no longer under warranty but I want it done asap. I am thinking of sending it to H Lehmann Ltd over in Stoke as they are an authorised Nikon repair centre. Anyone had any dealings with them

Hi Mark,
It would be worth giving them a ring to get an idea of cost.
As you can buy these for £125 new and around £60 used it might not pay to have fixed along with the postage.

I just heard back from Lehmans. They told me the standard charge for that lens is £162. It costs £150 tops to buy a new one. Bet they don't get to fix many 55-200's. Very strange way to run a business.

Last edited:
I am gutted. It seems this lens has reached the end of its useful life.

Not best pleased I must say. I purchased it brand new less than 2 years ago and its had minimal usage.

I am now worried as all my lenses are Nikkor and all under 2 years old. With this level of reliability I think I may be switching to Sigma when I come to buy new lenses.

I was just on the verge of buying a new 85mm F1.8, time to re-look at my options I think!

I have written to Nikon UK expressing my displeasure but I doubt they will be bothered.

I am gutted. It seems this lens has reached the end of its useful life.

Not best pleased I must say. I purchased it brand new less than 2 years ago and its had minimal usage.

I am now worried as all my lenses are Nikkor and all under 2 years old. With this level of reliability I think I may be switching to Sigma when I come to buy new lenses.

I was just on the verge of buying a new 85mm F1.8, time to re-look at my options I think!

I have written to Nikon UK expressing my displeasure but I doubt they will be bothered.

I have Nikon lenses over 10 years old, they work perfectly so I would imagine it is an isolated issue with your lens.

As it is less than 2 years old, and can reasonably be expected to last longer than that, Nikon have an obligation to repair it under the Sale of Goods Act, I cannot lay my hands on the info you need, but it has been covered on here before.

Some useful info on this thread LINK it refers to the item being 'fit for purpose' , it is reasonable to assume that the lens, aside from physical damage should last for more than two years.

I have Nikon lenses over 10 years old, they work perfectly so I would imagine it is an isolated issue with your lens.

As it is less than 2 years old, and can reasonably be expected to last longer than that, Nikon have an obligation to repair it under the Sale of Goods Act, I cannot lay my hands on the info you need, but it has been covered on here before.

The sale of goods act covers the contract between the vendor and the purchaser - so it is not Nikon who have the obligation but the store that sold the lens.

It could reasonably be argued that the lifespan of the lens should be more than two years so the vendor should be expected to make good - be this a repair on the lens or a partial refund (Taking into accoun the two years of use the lens had).

First point of call would be the store to see what they will do about it - pointing out their obligations under thesale of goods act
http://whatconsumer.co.uk/the-sale-of-goods-act/

Good luck! And don't be put off Nikon by this, sometimes components fail - a problem every manufacturer has.

Back