Nikon Lens Repair Recommendations

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon 300 f2.8 AF-S II which has an intermittent problem on my Nikon D750 where most of the time it won't focus.

Frustratingly, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and I've even recently had it working for a couple of weeks before it stopped working again, despite being fine on my D800E nearly all the time.

Now, annoyingly this is the worst kind of problem to diagnose. I want to get it sorted, as I could do without having to buy another 300 at the moment, but I'm not entirely sure if I can trust Nikon/NPS with doing a decent job, as from past experience I've found that they generally just want to get it done as quickly as possible.

Has anyone had any companies which have done a good job with a repair within a decent time-frame on a problem that is perhaps a little more complicated than normal?

Thanks in advance

I kinda feel your pain. Tell me about it about Nikon's repair ........ My trusty 28-70 f2.8 AFS focus motor finally die after squeaking for over 2 years, Send it to repair under insurance and Nikon charge £700 to replace motor, change lens mount, service, clean etc. Got it back and it all works fine at home. I didn't use the lens for 12 months because I was shooting prime and decided I want to use the lens on Monday and the focus is stuck! Can't even turn it using manual focus. It gone back Nikon now waiting for a quote for repair. If Nikon want to charge me £700 I might as well buy a new lens ....

despite being fine on my D800E nearly all the time.

Is that definitely "nearly" or was it always okay on the D800e ... just thinking, is it camera or lens. :thinking:

I kinda feel your pain. Tell me about it about Nikon's repair ........ My trusty 28-70 f2.8 AFS focus motor finally die after squeaking for over 2 years, Send it to repair under insurance and Nikon charge £700 to replace motor, change lens mount, service, clean etc. Got it back and it all works fine at home. I didn't use the lens for 12 months because I was shooting prime and decided I want to use the lens on Monday and the focus is stuck! Can't even turn it using manual focus. It gone back Nikon now waiting for a quote for repair. If Nikon want to charge me £700 I might as well buy a new lens ....

Jeez, that's horrific. Hard to convince them that you haven't used it too I suppose, hopefully there's a way they can tell and they'll let you off! Best of luck with that, and again it doesn't really add to my hopes of Nikon doing a decent job.

I have my eyes on Fixation at the moment, but I'm yet to decide for sure.

Is that definitely "nearly" or was it always okay on the D800e ... just thinking, is it camera or lens. :thinking:

Well, weirdly it didn't want to play ball with the D800E for a while, but at that time it worked perfectly on the D750 but now I'd say 90-95% of the time it works fine on the D800E, and about 10% of the time on the D750! If I do have an issue with the D800E then I can normally turn the camera off, disconnect it from the body and reconnect it and it'll be okay again.

I've never had luck with this lens with the D750, and it especially hates it when I add my Nikon 1.4 TC - more info on that problem here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2682619@N24/discuss/72157647884559639/

This whole 'chip' scenario makes me think that the older lenses really don't like working with these new bodies.

By the way, I have endlessly cleaned the contacts with IPA and suitable cloths, which perhaps helps a little bit but mostly doesn't.

Last edited:
This whole 'chip' scenario makes me think that the older lenses really don't like working with these new bodies.

Yes I had a similar issue with my D810 and a Nikon 400 f2.8 AF-S when used with TC's, very irritating!

I used fixation last year for a repair on a lens and they were great. Very helpful and quick turnaround. I've no idea how they compare cost wise compared to getting Nikon to do the repair though.

Yes I had a similar issue with my D810 and a Nikon 400 f2.8 AF-S when used with TC's, very irritating!

Rubbish isn't it! Is the 400 an older model? I assume you've never had any focus issues without the TC being involved?

I used fixation last year for a repair on a lens and they were great. Very helpful and quick turnaround. I've no idea how they compare cost wise compared to getting Nikon to do the repair though.

Reassuring that someone found them great, did you send via post? It's possible for me to go there, but it's a long train journey and pretty much a full day out both ways.

Rubbish isn't it! Is the 400 an older model? I assume you've never had any focus issues without the TC being involved?

Yes an older model (last before VR) and no issues without a TC.

Yes, I just posted it off recorded without problems. I phoned them before hand a they were very helpful...

Thanks, that's reassuring. Now to figure out who I'm going to post such a ridiculously heavy parcel with, haha.

Yes an older model (last before VR) and no issues without a TC.

Same as my one, but with 300. Glad for your sake that you don't have any non-TC issues!

I guess it's going to be a proper explanation to Fixation and a real hope that they take the time to hopefully sort it. Can't think of many other options and I didn't feel overly reassured by Nikon just saying 'sounds like the autofocus motor has gone' despite linking them to those articles!

I used fixation at the beginning of the year and had no problems st all. Contacted me at every stage. Fixed at the given price and timescale.

Jeez, that's horrific. Hard to convince them that you haven't used it too I suppose, hopefully there's a way they can tell and they'll let you off! Best of luck with that, and again it doesn't really add to my hopes of Nikon doing a decent job.
I have my eyes on Fixation at the moment, but I'm yet to decide for sure.

The bad news is Nikon don't give a crap about what I say about the lens. They send me an email saying they got the lens and the lens is out of service warranty. So basically I need to paid to get it repair. They haven't give me a quote yet. I remember reading about Nikon#s repair policy thing, they can send the lens away for a third party to fix it on behave of them .......

If is too expensive I think I will go for a used 24-120 f4 VR instead. I don't use the 28-70 f2.8 enough these days to buy another one .....

Back