Beginner Nikon lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all im a total newbie so please excuse any mistakes on my part.
Have been using cheapish compact digitals,and feel the need to create better pictures,so am thinking of buying an DSLR and on browsing the net
am opting for a Nikon D7000 and two lenses 18-55 and 55-300 the latter being for wildlife close to my home.
One of many things Icant get my head around is the 55-300mm is priced around £200 yet most Nikon lenses I see advertised cost a fortune,
so my question is are there a cheaper range of Nikon lenses than the norm,and are they ok,or inferior.

Many thanks
Archie

The easier/easiest way to spot the pro stuff compared to budget stuff is the f number and the price. The budget stuff will still perform well but you won't get the real low f numbers. Zooms that can offer a constant 2.8 will be much more expensive than a kit lens. Look at the price and size difference between a 300mm f/4 compared to the f/2.8 £££££££££££££.

Hi Archie, in order to fully understand any answers you might get you should read up (if you don't know already) on the 'exposure triangle' (google will have loads of info).

More or less everything you will then learn about photography has its routes there, from basic exposure to creative photography to why certain lenses are more expensive than others.

To answer your question though, the cheap nikon lenses are perfectly fine although I would encourage you to look at the Tamron 70-300VC rather than the Nikon as the image quality is a little better and the autofocus is faster which is useful for wildlife.

The price of lenses varies with build quality, materials used, type of focus motor, and amount of glass, ie speed f-number

I use tamron lenses and :agree: with the posts above to check out the Tamron/Sigma and see if they are suitable for your needs

I have used the nikon kit lenses and find them nice to use, I've also tried the more expensive Nikon's like the 70-200 f2.8 vrii and that is definitely on my wish list but until then it's still fab to learn and practice photography with 3rd party lenses :)

Back