Nikon lens

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been wondering which lens option would be considered better, I'm after a longer reach lens for wildlife to use on my D810 body. I was looking to test and maybe buy the new Sigma 150-600 sport lens as its getting great reviews, however getting one to try and buy seems an issue, at lest Wex are still waiting on them being shipped and have been for a couple of months now :(

Another option I wondered was the 300mm f2.8 lens and use converters where needed, all reports are its still up there with the best when used in conjunction with the 2x. I have discounted the 200-400mm due to its extra cost and higher weight, cost mostly as limited budget.

So can I ask what people think would be the best, most usable option for my wildlife needs, many thanks in advance

Cheers for that OE, I'd already found that review, however I was more interested to know views between the 300 2.8 with use of different TC's against the new kid on the block the Sigma 150-600 Sport.

I already have the Nikon 70-200vr 2.8 and use the 1.4 and 1.7 converters on that, but I still find it too short for a lot of shots I do, hence looking to go for something within budget thats longer

Nikon 500 F4, sorted bud.

Sweet, I'll pay the asking price for a S/H 300 f2.8 and you pay the difference for the 500mm :) Otherwise I'll stick within my budget rather than spend silly money

Sweet, I'll pay the asking price for a S/H 300 f2.8 and you pay the difference for the 500mm :) Otherwise I'll stick within my budget rather than spend silly money
It isn`t silly money though mate. I`ll bet that if you buy the 300 2.8, which is a sweet lens, you`ll have a TC on 95% of the time. The 500 rarely needs that TC. I have a 300 F4 and the 1.4 TC may as well be glued to it. That combo is great for a lightweight option especially if on a crop body.

Also, if buying secondhand, you won`t lose much money on a 500 when or if you come to sell.

Choice is yours of course, but why not hire both off Stewart and see which suits you best, just an idea?

http://lensesforhire.co.uk/

Cheers for that, however I'm not going for the Nikon 500mm unless one comes up at sub £2k and then I'm not sure, hence asking about only the lens mentioned. Yep its my choice, I could have looked at the 300 f/4 but the reviews for that are far below IQ of the 2.8 so that is out of the door.

Yep I can hire, however lensesforhire don't have the Sigma 150-600 Sport so I can't do comparisons in those I'm looking at.

So you're not going to add the difference?? :p

Quote from the blog below (and also true based on my experience) :
http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html

"The Nikkor 300mm f4 PF VR: I had been waiting for a replacement to the "old" Nikkor 300mm f4 VR for a number of years. I had expected improved optics and a good VR system. I hadn't expected the lens to be smaller than "compact" Nikkor 70-200mm f4 VR or lighter than the Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 zoom. And, I thought my hope that the lens could go pretty much head-to-head optically with the legendary 300mm f2.8 VRII was probably a bit unreasonable. Well - it wasn't - the difference in optical quality between the two 300mm lenses is incredibly small (detailed results to be presented after I return from my photo tours) and limited mostly to miniscule differences in quality of the out-of-focus zones at close subject distances. For years I have been looking for a compact walk-around lens that I could use on daily walks in the woods that could produce top-notch images when called upon to do so. And that's exactly what I'm getting with the 300mm f4 PF VR (even when I throw TC's on it!). For my needs - it's not an exaggeration to call this a "transformational" lens (really - I just LOVE this lens).

Much of what I'm saying about the two lenses above has come from detailed scrutiny of the image quality of thousands of images that I haven't reported in detail yet on this website. I'll provide these details (plus more info and images from my photo tour) when I return from my photo tours..."

Cheers for that OE, I'd already found that review, however I was more interested to know views between the 300 2.8 with use of different TC's against the new kid on the block the Sigma 150-600 Sport.

I already have the Nikon 70-200vr 2.8 and use the 1.4 and 1.7 converters on that, but I still find it too short for a lot of shots I do, hence looking to go for something within budget thats longer

Mansurov does have an interesting review of the 300mm f4 PE which seems to play nicely with every t/c. You may have read this also? The size & weight of the lens makes it worth pushing my budget IMO. This lens is in my wishlist. https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-300mm-f4e-pf-ed-vr

Cheers for that, makes interesting reading and certainly another to add to the mix

Back