Nikon Lenses: "Lock Lens Aperture Ring at Minimum Aperture (Largest f/-number)"

Name
Mo.Hassan
Edit My Images
Yes
I just bought the Carl Ziess Milvus Z mount 50mm f1.4 by mistake from ebay (did not read the Z mount bit) but I don't have Z mount Nikon camera, is there any adapter in shops that allows me to use it on my F mount nikon d500/ d5100?
Thanks

No, in short.

The design of the z mount means it would need to be an optical adapter with loads of elements to obtain sensible focus distances and would be prohibitively expensive to produce and sell.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I have to sell it on, it is difficult for me to upgrade to Z mount system, I have invested a lot in the F mount.

As far as I know Milvus lenses are all DSLR design i.e. DSLR mount lenses.

they have either ZE or ZF lens designation for Zeiss (canon) EF or Zeiss (nikon) F mounts respectively. worth checking what you exactly bought
or you could post a ebay link for us and we can check it for you too :)

Last edited:
I just bought the Carl Ziess Milvus Z mount 50mm f1.4 by mistake from ebay (did not read the Z mount bit) but I don't have Z mount Nikon camera, is there any adapter in shops that allows me to use it on my F mount nikon d500/ d5100?
Thanks
As others have suggested, (there are no Milvus lenses for Nikon Z cameras), the MIlvus lenses are either ZE (for canon EF mount cameras) or ZF.2 mounts (for Nikon F mount cameras). So if it's been sold as Nikon mount lens it should fit OK.

they have either ZE or ZF lens designation for Zeiss (canon) EF or Zeiss (nikon) F mounts respectively. worth checking what you exactly bought
i was just a bit late in my post :-(

Thanks

Have you actually tried to mount it as it should be fine?

I am very confused by the Z ss and F s on the label, it is Milvus 1.4/50 ZF.2- mount precisely. I mounted it on my nikon D5100, the screen displays rEE, and it says "lock screen aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f/-number)"
I don't understand, does that mean it is not compatible with D5100. It won't shoot. I had to set it to f16, the only way to get a shot.
There is a breath of hope to keep the lens in this case

Last edited:

It is Milvus 1.4/50 ZF.2- mount, does anyone own one, is it compatible with some nikon f mounts but not others?

I am very confused by the Z ss and F s on the label, it is Milvus 1.4/50 ZF.2- mount precisely. I mounted it on my nikon D5100, the screen displays rEE, and it says "lock screen aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f/-number)"
I don't understand, does that mean it is not compatible with D5100.
There’s a lens setting you need to change about allowing non cpu lens.

Compatible lenses
  • Autofocus is available with AF-S and AF-I lenses
  • Autofocus is not available with other type G and D lenses, AF lenses (IX-NIKKOR and lenses for the F3AF are not supported) and AI-P lenses
  • Non-CPU lenses can be used in mode M but the camera exposure meter will not function

I don't understand, does that mean it is not compatible with D5100. It won't shoot. I had to set it to f16, the only way to get a shot.

No need to be confused, Zeiss used the Z label on their lenses long before Nikon had a Z mount. The ZF.2 is electronically chipped like any other Nikon lens so fully communicates with your Nikon bodies (older lenses were called ZF lenses and weren't chipped, and as I said in my earlier post the Canon Lenses are called ZE lenses)

By default, you set the aperture at its smallest value (f16 or f22, or f32 depending on the lens) and then use the same dials on the camera to adjust the aperture as you would with any other lens. All the communications between the lens and the camera are via the electronic contacts.

"If" you want to set the aperture on the lens directly you can set this up in the menu, but I can't remember how, and haven't bothered. I did once upon a time, but found it easier to just leave the lenses at their smallest aperture and use the dial on the camera.

Thank you all, I have never used any non-cpu lens, this is my first time.

It is a CPU lens (see my other post) it's just you need to "tell" the camera how you want it to interact with the lens.

By either setting the lens at its smallest aperture and handing the aperture control over to the camera, or by going into the menu and telling the camera to hand over the aperture control to the lens.

No need to be confused, Zeiss used the Z label on their lenses long before Nikon had a Z mount. The ZF.2 is electronically chipped like any other Nikon lens so fully communicates with your Nikon bodies (older lenses were called ZF lenses and weren't chipped, and as I said in my earlier post the Canon Lenses are called ZE lenses)

By default, you set the aperture at its smallest value (f16 or f22, or f32 depending on the lens) and then use the same dials on the camera to adjust the aperture as you would with any other lens. All the communications between the lens and the camera are via the electronic contacts.

"If" you want to set the aperture on the lens directly you can set this up in the menu, but I can't remember how, and haven't bothered. I did once upon a time, but found it easier to just leave the lenses at their smallest aperture and use the dial on the camera.
It is my first time mounting a non-nikon lens and I wanted to experiment with a descent f1.4 50mm and this has fantastic reviews. It was a knee jerk reaction because I paid a lot of money (hard earned like everybody else) and see it not working. I assumed it was intended for Z mount. I will keep it as is the way you describe it, not bothered as long as I get to my f1.4 aperture. Happy days

It is my first time mounting a non-nikon lens and I wanted to experiment with a descent f1.4 50mm and this has fantastic reviews. It was a knee jerk reaction because I paid a lot of money (hard earned like everybody else) and see it not working. I assumed it was intended for Z mount. I will keep it as is the way you describe it, not bothered as long as I get to my f1.4 aperture. Happy days
Yes its should work fine and you will be able to set the aperture to f1.4 just as you have been used to setting apertures with the camera, and all the lens info will appear in the file exif data.

If you aren't use to manual focus lenses, be aware it can be a bit tricky. The focus "dot" isn't that accurate and you may need to cycle back and forwards through the point of focus a few times before settling on the "least" out of focus point to leave the lens at. You get used to it, but takes a little getting used to if you are only familiar with AF.

Back