nikon lenses

knocker

Suspended / Banned
Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
looking to sell my 1Dmk2 and get a D700, problem is, what lens is the closest nikon fit available to match a 24-105L canon and what price ?

or should i sell my 5D and keep the 1Dmk2 ? either way it's nikon glass thats bothering me for the change

:LOL: is all I have to say on the matter

well apart from there is no 24-105mm in the nikon range the nearest would be the 24-70mm f/2.8 , why the change:shrug:

The 24-70f2.8 or 24-120f3.5-5.6 would, I think, be your only options.

Having owned both lenses (still got the 24-70) I'd definitely recommend the 24-70, the 24-120 is ok but it vignettes wide open and is a bit slow at the long end.

Not sure you'll find anything directly comparable to the Canon but someone else will quite likely know something I don't!

24-85 f/2.8-f/4

gawd, its a big old caveat this 24-105 carry on for you canoners isn't it, just pretend it never existed and you'll never miss it.
alternatively, commit to Nikon and accept their lens range is different, or stick with canon.

why the change

i'm looking at a future possible selling images opportunity, i would need to shoot nikon to be eligable, so, my plan is to keep one canon and lenses ands buy a D700 and a lens for studio use to comply with requirements just in case my plan comes to fruition.....i could never not have a canon (y)

so i would be looking at a D700 with a 24-70 2.8 or 24-85 2.8/4.0 for studio stuff...hmmm, sell the 5D i reckon, keep my 70-200 2.8 and 24-105 unless anyone else has any other ideas :thinking:

Nikon don't have anything remotely like the 24-105mm f/4 L IS.

And whilst we're at it, they don't have anything remotely like your 100-400mm L either.

oops, i don't have a 100-400L any more, thought i'd removed that from my profile

I use a 24-70 AFS f2.8 with my D700, and as yet I cant fault the combination

Nikon don't have anything remotely like the 24-105mm f/4 L IS.

And whilst we're at it, they don't have anything remotely like your 100-400mm L either.

Makes me wonder why you even rent out Nikon lenses,as you are so fixated with Canon being better.

Nikon not having anything near the Canon 24-105 is my only regret at switching to Nikon, i really miss that lens.

Is the 24-70 really a million miles off the 24-105?

i'm looking at a future possible selling images opportunity, i would need to shoot nikon to be eligable, so, my plan is to keep one canon and lenses ands buy a D700 and a lens for studio use to comply with requirements.....

Nobody has commented on this yet so maybe there is something i don't know, but it seems a bit ridiculous that you should be forced to swap thousands of pounds worth of kit just to shoot nikon.......

if you have canons and know canon, then what is the point?

Makes me wonder why you even rent out Nikon lenses,as you are so fixated with Canon being better.
I'm not.

There are some Canon lenses for which there are simply no Nikon equivalents. These include the 24-105L and the 100-400L. A Canon user who has and likes one of these lenses might find it difficult switching to Nikon.

And there are some Nikon lenses for which there are no Canon equivalents. These include the 14-24 and the 200-400VR. A Nikon user who has and likes one of these lenses might find it difficult switching to Canon.

But I think it's fair to say that
(a) there are currently more people switching (or thinking of switching) from Canon to Nikon than vice versa; and
(b) there are more Canon lenses that have no Nikon equivalent than vice versa.

If the OP was a Nikon user who wanted to know what was the nearest Canon equivalent to his 200-400VR, I'd tell him there isn't one. But it doesn't happen so often.

Simple as that. OK?

looking to sell my 1Dmk2 and get a D700, problem is, what lens is the closest nikon fit available to match a 24-105L canon and what price ?

or should i sell my 5D and keep the 1Dmk2 ? either way it's nikon glass thats bothering me for the change

There's not.
Which is why I'm TRYING to sell my Nikon.
For the very reason that I want a fast lens, around the 24/28-100mm mark.
Such a lens doesn't exist with Nikon.

IMHO Nikon lens range is very poor indeed.

I'm looking to go Canon if I ever sell my D200.
There's so much more lens choice on the dark side!!

Surely you've all missed a trick here, shooting a 24-105 on a Canon crop body vs using a D700... you're going to get roughly the same with a 70-200 on FX.

I never understand the hysteria around the 24-105 or 100-400 anyway. I'll grant you its a useful range of focal lengths, but neither of those two lenses are particularly stella.

Surely you've all missed a trick here, shooting a 24-105 on a Canon crop body vs using a D700... you're going to get roughly the same with a 70-200 on FX.
Eh?

The 1D Mk II has a 1.3x crop. So his 24-105L is roughly equivalent to 31-136 on a full-frame camera. That's not terribly close to 70-200, in my judgement.

Nikon not having anything near the Canon 24-105 is my only regret at switching to Nikon, i really miss that lens.

Canon 24-105 around £800 new, Nikkor 28-105 f3.5 - 4.5D around £150 used, no IS/VR, but optically a gem of a lens.

I doubt that you would see any difference in quality of a photograph taken with either lens.

Build wise the Nikkor is solid.

There have been SOOO many of these threads.. I don't really understand why folks are so driven by a desire for a brand change that they don't research the lens options first?

As has been said many times, they is no Nikon equivalent of the 24-105 f/4 IS. If this is a lens you need, then its not a good idea to oggle bodies that won't support your glass options.

If you need constant f/4 lenses with IS, right now Canon is the only choice here.

Back