Nikon Macro Lens bad??

I would love the 70-200 2.8 but it pretty pricey lol is the version 1 any good over the version 2

you may notice the difference in the corner on FX ...... but for normal people, (me) I'm not sure I would see a difference in the type of shots that I take with it

Bill what lens wad Bertie taken with on your Flickr as no exif details

I've found the Nikon 105mm to be an excellent lens in every regard, my only complaint would be it suffers from CA somewhat but that's easily corrected and I don't know where the complaints about its focus speed comes from, it's noticeably faster than my Nikon 85mm f/1.8.

If you're using it mostly for portraits then you're using the wrong lens, assuming you don't need the longer focal length either a 50mm or 85mm is better suited to that task (lighter, wider aperture etc) but that's not surprising as the 105mm is a dedicated macro lens.

Bill what lens wad Bertie taken with on your Flickr as no exif details

Sigma DP3M ......... not sure that you would like that Andrew...... it is a "love hate" camera, very very slow to focus, batteries only last 50 or 60 shots and workflow to process is primitive .......... but the IQ is marvellous

effectively a 75mm fixed lens camera

bertie.jpg

Last edited:
I've found the Nikon 105mm to be an excellent lens in every regard, my only complaint would be it suffers from CA somewhat but that's easily corrected and I don't know where the complaints about its focus speed comes from, it's noticeably faster than my Nikon 85mm f/1.8.

If you're using it mostly for portraits then you're using the wrong lens, assuming you don't need the longer focal length either a 50mm or 85mm is better suited to that task (lighter, wider aperture etc) but that's not surprising as the 105mm is a dedicated macro lens.

I know it a macro lens but reviews and some people says it a very good general lens too??

I've been very pleased with the newer 105 VR. AF is quick enough and I've even got dragonflies in flight. Like most true macro primes, it is very sharp. If you're not shooting close ups use the focus limiter.

I know it a macro lens but reviews and some people says it a very good general lens too??

Which it is, I think the problem here is you were expecting it to be something it's not and if you're going to use it for general purpose rather than macro it's going to disappoint as you can get cheaper, smaller, lighter and wider aperture lenses.

I think it's a great lens, more CA than I'd like but it does everything else well and focuses quickly on a D810 but you need to be making use of its macro properties for it to make sense and as long as you're OK with f/2.8 I don't see a reason why you'd want another lens at that focal length.

I really cannot see what all the fuss is about ...... post some "normal" images

but I don't taken "proper" macros ... they take skill, practice and patience

Here is a range of Images picked at random from my images and taken with the 105mm .. they are just ordinary shots .. similar to what most of us take but maybe don't post
I don't find it slow, I don't find it lacking ..... it is a very good lens in many respects ....... I would not be without it

western_2.jpg

unsure_3.jpg

portrait_8.jpg

portrait_3b.jpg

portrait_2b.jpg

GH_1.jpg

portrait_9.jpg

portrait_11.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with those Bill even as a general lens. Portraits look good also, which you have posted twice, can't see what the OP problems is. Seems a more than capable lens for the variety of subjects you have posted.

Last edited:
Thank you very much to all your guys that have given so much details and posting images on here taken with this lens..

I am going to give this lens a good work out this weekend and try and bond with it and then I will post back.. To be honest I not really had much time with it only some quick shots that all..

Which extension tube u suggest pls the Nikon??

Thank you very much to all your guys that have given so much details and posting images on here taken with this lens..

I am going to give this lens a good work out this weekend and try and bond with it and then I will post back.. To be honest I not really had much time with it only some quick shots that all..

If your struggling with the lens (I think you have switched from Canon 5d3) and maybe not 100% sure on the Nikon camera settings, post some pics up and settings and maybe the members on here can help.

Lens seems good to me , focus on dogs right eye seems nice and sharpe on my monitor.

Last edited:
Andrew
IMHO
Composition is not good ........... face front on and body in background, (that's the worse bit)
Eyes are good
Light on face is quite attractive
OOF areas - did you want them? ...... they don't work

generally it is a poor image ....... not because of the Camera or the lens

1/100th sec, f3, ISO500 ....... detail what there is shows how good the D750 is

Nice dog .. keep trying you will get better shots

and don't be afraid to post images

Last edited:
What aperture would you suggest me to use pls and where to focus. So should I have the whole dog in?? I was just hoping the face so I should take it dead on??

I want to learn from u guys.

What aperture would you suggest me to use pls and where to focus. So should I have the whole dog in?? I was just hoping the face so I should take it dead on??

I want to learn from u guys.

you have a good subject there - just try all the setting that you can and see what happens ...... what you have to remember is that at wide fvalues, you will get really shallow DOF ...... so you need to keep all parts of the subject that you want in focus on the same plane ....... and higher vales will not really help when you are this near to the subject

Ok I am trying....

With the settings, you have started at f3, 1/100 try f5.6 1/200 the lens has VR ??? ............. As been said try different distances away from the dog. Focus on the center of eyes if your trying to get the whole head in focus.

It's probably a little late now and be better of in the morning, have a play around and see what settings gets the photo you like.

Also, as Bill has posted some pics here have a look at his settings on flickr or the 105 macro pool for EXIF. > https://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=nikon 105 macro&sort=relevance

None of his pic here links to Flik do they as when I click on them they don't go anywhere. Will go look again

Hope it nice day tmr do some learning

Anticipating. by Cycling Saint, on Flickr

I also have just bought the Nikkor 105 macro. I took it out for the first time yesterday on my D750 and was pleased with the results.
This is one of the pics I took at f/5. I will use it for portraits as well as macro.

What tubes or tele converter to add for closer macro of insect pls?

What tubes or tele converter to add for closer macro of insect pls?

Maybe better off asking in the Macro Section, where they have all types of set-ups. Isn't the lens a 1:1 anyway so are you looking into extreme macro???

Back