Nikon macro lens

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Do Nikon make a lens like the canon equivalent of the mp-e 5:1?

:( no third party manufacturers?

If you're a Nikon user and want to get the full MPE65 experience, you'll need to get a Canon body and the real thing. TBH, a cheapest body will be a small part of the total rig cost compared with the lens, anyway!

Venus lens looks very good indeed and you can go to macro section and see many shots taken with it....

Reverse your kit lens add a 1.4x TC and you'll get similar Mag to MPE I get 1:1 - 6:1 with my reverse setup and optics are so very similar to the MPE .... bear in mind that the MPE is old tech lens now.

Other thing is with high mag light is the most important.

Hi all,

Do Nikon make a lens like the canon equivalent of the mp-e 5:1?

As Bryn suggested Ben, by reversing your kit lens etc will do what you want to do, but you'll have some difficulty changing apertures if your kit lens is of the (G) variety.

Another way of doing it is with the "Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF" lens, this is optically much better than the kit lenses and as it is a (D) variety lens it has an aperture ring so can be stopped down manually when reversed on a camera. This lens will do everything you want and can be reversed with a 1.4x TC as Bryn suggested or reversed using extension tubes without loss of optical quality.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Ok, i have the following lenses:

50mm 1.4
16-35mm f4
70-200mm f2.8
200-400mm f4

I'm guessing if i reverse the 50mm and get the tc 1.4 i should get good results?

50mm should give around >1:1 the 16-35 would give you upto 5:1ish.

Also I'm not sure how much better glass makes in reverse method.

I get similar results with my kit lens as people do with an mpe. I do what to try a 17-50mm 2.8 instead of kit to see if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
think its the wider the lens the more magnification you get?
you could get some old m42 lens or whatever

or! raynox on a 1 to 1 lens, with a 1.4 tc and extension tubes

but super ninja macro is hard n tedious...

Back