Nikon MB-D17 grip for D500 shutter button goes all the way in?

Name
Jason Brown
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Purchased a used MB-D17 in excellent condition last week. I haven't purchased a D500 body to try it on yet, but the saving from buying a brand new one was very good.

I have one quick question regarding the shutter button that I can't find the answer to! I’ve never used a genuine Nikon grip like this or seen/used a brand new MB-D17, so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I noticed that the shutter button goes all in the way in and doesn’t stop halfway to focus like the shutter button on the camera does (if you get what I mean?) Maybe it only does this if the body is attached to the grip?

Is this normal on the MB-D17?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Purchased a used MB-D17 in excellent condition last week. I haven't purchased a D500 body to try it on yet, but the saving from buying a brand new one was very good.

I have one quick question regarding the shutter button that I can't find the answer to! I’ve never used a genuine Nikon grip like this or seen/used a brand new MB-D17, so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I noticed that the shutter button goes all in the way in and doesn’t stop halfway to focus like the shutter button on the camera does (if you get what I mean?) Maybe it only does this if the body is attached to the grip?

Is this normal on the MB-D17?

Cheers!

Hi, just checked mine and there is a dampening when I press the shutter button on the grip.

I don't use my shutter to focus, I use back button focusing much easier. It'll be in your manual how to set up, I can't remember and my manual is in the loft :)

Cheers.

Hi, just checked mine and there is a dampening when I press the shutter button on the grip.

I don't use my shutter to focus, I use back button focusing much easier. It'll be in your manual how to set up, I can't remember and my manual is in the loft :)

Cheers.
Thanks for your reply, luckily the MB-D17 I bought came with all of the manuals so I'll see if it's mentioned. There doesn't seem to be any dampening at all on the shutter button.

Jason

I'd send/take it back (y)
Hmmm maybe I'm being picky, just got it out and looked and yeah there is a little bit of dampening if you lightly tap it and then it's a hard press to get it all the way down but doesn't seem to click or feel terribly positive once you've pressed it all the way down. Is that normal?

Basically should it feel like the button on the camera?

Last edited:
Hmmm maybe I'm being picky, just got it out and looked and yeah there is a little bit of dampening if you lightly tap it and then it's a hard press to get it all the way down but doesn't seem to click or feel terribly positive once you've pressed it all the way down. Is that normal?

Basically should it feel like the button on the camera?

Mine does.

Back