Nikon Nifty Fifty Advice Please

Name
rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have been asked to photograph my eight week old nephew and see it as the nudge I needed to finally get a nifty fifty.

I'm going for an F/1.8 and see there is a choice of two:

F/1.8 D AF
AF-S F/1.8G

The AF-S is significantly more expensive than the D AF.

What I'd like to know is whether the image quality of the AF-S is significantly better enough to justify the extra outlay.

I will be using a D90, if that makes a difference.

Many thanks

Rob

As far as I know they are the same lens but the AFS has the focus motor for lower end Nikons (which you don't need!)

Get the cheaper one!

Afd and then you also get to use a reversing ring if that ever interests you.

I've got the afd version and it's been on my camera (D90) 90%of the time until very recently. It's an excellent lens

The 35 mm afs is also worth considering.

S

They arent the same lens, one is a 40-50 year old design, the other is a few years old, and is possibly marginally better IQ wise
However, the AF-D 50 is fantastic, and you dont need the AF-S, so save yourself some money

50 1.8g is a cracking lens, bokeh is much better than the D

Still using the D model + you still got an apeture ring if you need,i do as i sometime want to use it on my Nikon FM-2 :)

Yep go for the cheaper one...or you could look at the 35mm one which is also a nice prime for low lights.

the D is hard to beat for value for money. And, it is tiny. It isn't much bigger than a golf ball really, so easy to slip in a pocket and take anywhere regardless what your main lens is for the day. I can't do that with the 35, and I think the 50 G is roughly the same size as the 35.

Thanks,
Rick

Another vote for the D, your camera can take it and it is great...

Had both preferred the g verson,seemed slightly sharper wide open to me.

Thank you all for your advice.

I was originally going for the D until I found out about the G but based on the replies here I still favour the D.

However, getting a 35mm instead has certainly crossed my mind in the past but I have never really looked into it. But now I think I had better do.

Thank you again.

Rob

G all the way. If they made on in EOS mount I'd buy it same day. There are many little improvements that make it one of the best standard primes on the market (rather than bargain basement steal)

G definitely, the D is a much older lens now

G definitely, the D is a much older lens now

doesn't make it a bad choice by any means. If you read several reviews, they all conclude that the only (slight) noticeable difference is that the AF-S G has slightly more rounded bokeh.

Personally, as someone who doesn't have a spare £70 to just throw away, I don't think that is worth it. Just because something is new, doesn't make it better.

This might help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6my3DO00X28

Last edited:
Back