Nikon Nifty Fifty's

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I've noticed browsing this forum with regards to the Nifty Fifty that the majority of people use Canon or Sigma Lenses. I have found this for the Nikon but as I don't know much about lens kits would this suit my Nikon D3100 : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4

I like taking close ups and would love to get that gorgeous bokeh effect in most of my photos (Not only that but I also want to get started in Portraiture) as they'd be ideal for taking pictures for my website (utilising the night for long exposures). I am currently running the 18-55mm standard kit lens which came with the camera and I'm comfortable using the camera in Full Manual (even the Auto Focus is turned off on my camera now.)

I'm also considering taking an afternoon class in Photography to help me get better at being creative and using my camera.

I've noticed browsing this forum with regards to the Nifty Fifty that the majority of people use Canon or Sigma Lenses.

The term "nifty fifty" is normally only applied to the Canon 50mm f1.8. It's to do with the good image quality coupled with the really cheap price.

I currently have the 1.8D and although it's easy to get the bokeh with the lens. I don't think it's bokeh is as nice as the newer G lenses - although I'm just going by the images I've seen online and haven't tried the newer lenses myself. For the price though, you can't grumble, this was probably my most used lens on my D90 and it's still always in my bag.

No. You need the 1.8G (with auto focus motor).

Does it need to have the auto focus motor? I've found that I shoot using Manual Focus and adjust the Focus Ring to my liking half the time.

I think once I get more experienced at the photography I will put more money into getting a better lens, but for now I want one that "does the job" at a low price (limited budget for now)

I currently have the 1.8D and although it's easy to get the bokeh with the lens. I don't think it's bokeh is as nice as the newer G lenses - although I'm just going by the images I've seen online and haven't tried the newer lenses myself. For the price though, you can't grumble, this was probably my most used lens on my D90 and it's still always in my bag.

So would you recommend putting the aforementioned lens (the one I found) on a D3100 (entry level obviously.)?

The term "nifty fifty" is normally only applied to the Canon 50mm f1.8. It's to do with the good image quality coupled with the really cheap price.

Seems to me like there is a lot of Favouritism to Canon ;) I used to own a Canon PowerShot A470 which was my little handheld of choice up until now. The Nikon boasts better features and quality on the Entry Level D-SLR's than Canon does (or so I've found).

Seems to me like there is a lot of Favouritism to Canon ;) I used to own a Canon PowerShot A470 which was my little handheld of choice up until now. The Nikon boasts better features and quality on the Entry Level D-SLR's than Canon does (or so I've found).

No favouritism involved ;) it's just the fact that no one else sells a brand new fifty under a £100, and the the fact it has very good IQ/sharpness, hence it's a nifty fifty.

Even at Wikipedia

Nifty Fifty
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about an informal investing term.
For the lens, see Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II.
Because of its low price and sharp optical quality, this lens has earned the nicknames 'nifty fifty' and 'plastic fantastic'. When shooting at f/1.8, it offers a very shallow depth of field which is beneficial for isolating subjects against a blurred background (bokeh).

I have been looking for the same sort of thing for my D5200. John Lewis have a good price on the 35mm at the moment. That would do the job well, 50mm is the lens of choice for older film cameras and full frame cameras I believe.

I've seen it regularly used as a generic term for any 50mm f/1.8 lens, and the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D was always roughly the same price as the Canon equivalent (let's ignore the evolution of the G lenses) in the last decade or so.

The term "plastic fantastic", however, seems to be solely reserved for the Canon lens.

it's worth stretching to the 1.8G if you can, that lens will sit in your bag for years to come.

it's worth stretching to the 1.8G if you can, that lens will sit in your bag for years to come.

Looks like i'll have to start saving then haha. I'm after the 55-300mm as well to be honest. Don't really know which one to get first the 50mm or the 55-300. If doing portraiture would the 55-300 do justice (being a zoom lens)?

I have the 35mm 1.8G for my D3100 and it's a fantastic lens for close up work, very sharp and shallow DoF with a nice bokeh effect. I chose the 35mm rather than the 50mm because of the DX format crop factor makes it effectively a 50mm equivalent to full frame. In my opinion you'd want the auto focus because even if you don't use it often, you may regret not spending the extra when you want to take sharp photo's quickly.
I see used one's come up often on the for sale forums here so keep checking...

Back