Votes: 93 86.9%
  • Nigh-kon

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Knee-kon

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Knee-cone

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
The reason I think 'nick - on' is correct is that it's the only pronunciation which fits with Nikkor.

As there is a double k there, I don't think Nikkor can be pronounced any way other than 'nick - or'. If it was Nikor with a single k, then 'nie - core' or 'nee - core' would be correct.

Steve.

Aren't Nikon and Nikkor transliterated from Japanese? I would imagine it should be Nee-kon then as the letter i is usually used to denote ee sounds in many foreign languages.

[YOUTUBE]0e2kaQqxmQ0[/YOUTUBE]

:D Aaanyway.. the word is derived from "Nippon" and "Kogaku", so should be "Nickon" Or perhaps "Neekon", but I think you can allow a bit of dialectic latitude.

What's really annoying me at the moment is the Beeb's adoption of "aN historic.." If you pronounce the H then it's "a", not "an"! Grrrr.

What's really annoying me at the moment is the Beeb's adoption of "aN historic.." If you pronounce the H then it's "a", not "an"! Grrrr.

I have never liked the idea of dropping the h and converting the a to an. Most often with hotel. But keeping the h and using an is going to far!

It makes me want to get in an 'elicopter and fly up to the BBC and complain.

Steve.

I have never liked the idea of dropping the h and converting the a to an. Most often with hotel. But keeping the h and using an is going to far!

It makes me want to get in an 'elicopter and fly up to the BBC and complain.

Steve.

According to my dictionary, using an before h dates back to the 18th century as the h wasn't pronounced in most instances at the start of the word (think 'erb as I mentioned earlier!).

Only over the last century have people started saying the initial h in many of these words.

That said, while I don't find 'an historical' too offensive, 'an hotel' and 'an helicopter' sound quite strange to my ears.

RJ, back in the 18th century, French was the main language spoken in high society. Go back to Elizabethan times and there were few rounded vowels, Aitches were dropped routinely and well-spoken folk pretty much sounded like they came from Barnsley. :shrug:

I've less of a problem with "an hotel", if it's "un hôtel" somewhere in France. But beyond that, to my mind this contortion sounds like "an horrible" and rather stupid-sounding thing to do to a language, and all for no good reason.

RJ, back in the 18th century, French was the main language spoken in high society. Go back to Elizabethan times and there were few rounded vowels, Aitches were dropped routinely and well-spoken folk pretty much sounded like they came from Barnsley. :shrug:

I've less of a problem with "an hotel", if it's "un hôtel" somewhere in France. But beyond that, to my mind this contortion sounds like "an horrible" and rather stupid-sounding thing to do to a language, and all for no good reason.

I'm not really supporting the whole an before h thing, I was just stating that it's not some new phenomenon. Language is a pretty fluid thing.

1. Nick-on

Those that say Nigh-kon are probably retarded

:)

So, that's all of the States, Canada ... and me? :LOL:

While we're on pronunciation - you English crack me up with a lot of yours. 'Free' for three is one, and how you say my name, Keith: "Keef" - I mean, come on, it's your language, get it right! :p

Last edited:
You know, I've lived here 11 years now... And I could list a zillion words that North Americans ( I happen to be Canadian) say differently.... Note 'differently'.... Not wrong! Is it really that important? Does it really matter? Really... It gets old quickly.

You are all wrong, it is obviously pronounced "kanon". Remember this next time you shop for kit.;)

You know, I've lived here 11 years now... And I could list a zillion words that North Americans ( I happen to be Canadian) say differently.... Note 'differently'.... Not wrong! Is it really that important? Does it really matter? Really... It gets old quickly.

Of course it doesn't matter, it's just a bit of craic. As an Irishman, I get the 'Mick' taken out of me all the time, especially when I travel. Water off a duck's back ;)

I teach ESOL and it is really confusing sometimes how we pronounce things in English. An example I use with students is 'ough'
bough, cough, dough, lough, rough, through - all sound different.

So, that's all of the States, Canada ... and me? :LOL:

While we're on pronunciation - you English crack me up with a lot of yours. 'Free' for three is one, and how you say my name, Keith: "Keef" - I mean, come on, it's your language, get it right! :p

vayt's jast a wockney cankers and'er fickies wot do vayt.(innit?)

Last edited:

I think you're just talking about east and south London there though :)

Cagey75 said:
Of course it doesn't matter, it's just a bit of craic. As an Irishman, I get the 'Mick' taken out of me all the time, especially when I travel. Water off a duck's back ;)

Yea, I know. I get it everyday and normally I bite my tongue, but couldn't this time.. The whole 'we're right you're wrong' thing about pronunciation really 'gets on my girls'.... Sigh.

Being a Lancastrian, I pronounced it NICK-ON, and even if it was supposed to be pronounced differently it would be pronounced NICK-ON

None of them. Japanese say "Neekoh'" The N is almost silent the N pronounced with the back of the tongue against the palate like the French 'N' at the end of BATON (batoh')
http://www.forvo.com/word/nikon/ for examples.

But there's colonial pronouncing it Naiykaahn. Yet another!

In my book, if there's a local pronunciation of a foreign word, then that is how it should be pronounced.

Being a Lancastrian, I pronounced it NICK-ON, and even if it was supposed to be pronounced differently it would be pronounced NICK-ON

And I wholeheartedly agree!!

Last edited:
I have heard people pronounce "Nikon" different ways.

1:- Nick-on
2:- Nigh-kon
3:- Knee-kon
4:- Knee-cone

To me, the first one is right but what is the general consensus on this?:thinking:

I dunno. What exactly is it you are describing? :shrug:

No it doesn't really matter, but I draw the line at 'Legos', especially as even Lego themselves say it makes no sense.

ukaskew said:
No it doesn't really matter, but I draw the line at 'Legos', especially as even Lego themselves say it makes no sense.

Lol! I'm with you there!

I pronounce it Nikon.

Stuff trying to keep up with the pronouncing brands as per their original language. The only person who swayed my thinking was Kristiane Backer who presented MTV shows sponsored by Braun and not Brawwwn.

I always thought say it like it is in the adverts. Interesting that the ads in America say it differently.

Absolutely. 'made out of Legos' makes no sense at all as Lego is already both singular and plural depending on use.

Where do Lego say it makes no sense? I could show that to a few Americans who I have discussed this with!

EDIT: Found it: http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/legal-notice/fair-play/

Proper Use of the LEGO Trademark on a Web Site
If the LEGO trademark is used at all, it should always be used as an adjective, not as a noun. For example, say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGO BRICKS". Never say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGOs"

Whilst these are guidelines for the use of the trademark on websites, the intention is very clear.

Steve.

Last edited:

I see you've written "differently" there... I think you meant to put "wrong" ;)

When the language is called "North American" then I'll accept "differently". As long as the language is still called English then if we don't do it, it's wrong! The language is our gift to you, with that gift comes great responsibility!

Pronunciation can make a huge difference in meaning in some languages. For example, in Greek, placing the emphasis on different As in the word malaca changes the meaning from Onanist to soft or even a type of cheese, as can altering the emphasis in the word tonos which can mean tune, tuna, tone, accent and others IIRC!

What really gets my goat on holiday in Greece is people's (almost exclusively Brits but some others) who insist on Anglicising Greek people's names; for example Eleni is called Eleni not Helen and Yeoryio isn't George! They may answer to the Anglicised versions but they would far prefer to be called their given names. Same goes for place names - it's London not Londres...

I pronounce it Nikon...
But that was the question!? :D

...what is the general consensus on this? :thinking:
Not often I say the name out loud, but here's the procedure...

Standing up, straight and facing east. Breathe in and say "Nick" with a firm, but humbled voice, take a slight bow and on the outbreath say "on".

A quiet "Thank you" may be thought.

pleased2.gif

Same goes for place names - it's London not Londres...

It works both ways too.

It's Andalucía not Andalusia.
It's Córdoba not Cordova.
It's Catalunya (or Cataluña in Spanish) not Catalonia.

I have pronounced it knee kon since I bought my first Fe2 thirty odd years ago. I can assure you I'm not retarded

As long as the language is still called English then if we don't do it, it's wrong!

Excellent. Someone else who agrees with my point of view!

At least when we stole the language the Germans were using and added some spaces and vowels to make it speakable and legible we had the good sense to rename it English.

I don't mind Americans modifying the words but don't call it English, call it something else... I know, call it American!

Steve.

Steve Smith said:
Excellent. Someone else who agrees with my point of view!

I don't mind Americans modifying the words but don't call it English, call it something else... I know, call it American!

Steve.

Seriously? Get over yourself.

I think you're just talking about east and south London there though :)

You can add South Yorkshire to that as well. My wife says free instead of three which really bugs me but its nothing compared to "9 while 5".

Nick on for me (y)

Edit: ok, just discovered she actually has a speech impediment (an unknown one) and she can't correctly pronounce any th... words. The one that has amused us most is thesaurus sounding like a scary dinosaur fear-saw-us.

Last edited:
It works both ways too.

It's Andalucía not Andalusia.
It's Córdoba not Cordova.
It's Catalunya (or Cataluña in Spanish) not Catalonia.

Yup! Although your examples are mispronunciations more than complete changes to the name. A few Cretan examples...
(Using upper case since that overlaps more with the Roman alphabet)
XAVIA is more like Hania than Chania, although it's more correctly Chania with the ch pronounced like it is in loch.
The He in Heraklion is dropped in favour of an I and the final n is added to the Greek IPAKLIO.
In general, Y (gamma) is more a y than a g (in fact, it's a yamma not a gamma!).

I really wish there was a local conversational Greek language teacher or evening class but we can't find one so have to settle for on the spot learning - as good a reason for multiple visits as any!

Back