Nikon or Fuji

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I am Nikon through and through with a great deal of Fuji on the outside.:)

I need some help in deciding on either a Nikon V1 or Fuji X100, now I know the + and - of interchangeable lenses etc.

My question is really just based on flexibility and most important IQ.

If you had £700 to spend, please take into account cards, cases, filters needed.

What would you recommend to me and just three points as to why please.

I am lost at the moment I think I have specification overload.:D

I choose Fuji x100 any day because of the following reason:

1) No lens changing at all so i can concentrate on compose, framing and shooting instead of worring about changing lens etc.

2) More durable in my hands when i tried it out in the shop and i like the retro style with all the control dial is in my hands.

3) Better sensor on the Fuji x100 and superb optic quality on the lens.

What are you planning to take pictures of? The x100 is rather restricted with its 35mm equivalent but what it does it does very well. The V1 is more flexible and for the size of its sensor it has very good image quality.

I love my x100. It's my most used camera at the moment simply because I usually have it with me and know it will perform. I still use my others, but it's definitely brought some extra fun to my photography. There's a surprising amount of negativity around the camera on the net due to issues with the early firmwares. I got mine earlier in the summer, so with the new firmware I've had few issues with it. I think a lot of it for me is that I still shoot film regularly, so I've more patience with small quirks on cameras - I'm sure you'd be in the same boat Richard. See if you can get out for an afternoon with someone who owns one and give it a thorough workout.

What are you planning to take pictures of? The x100 is rather restricted with its 35mm equivalent but what it does it does very well. The V1 is more flexible and for the size of its sensor it has very good image quality.

As with most smaller body choices, I am planning this as a general all round shooter, if you like a bit like an opportunist camera.(y)

Thanks Brian, very helpful(y)

The other important point is I am really liking the ability of the X100 to shoot in emulated film modes particularly Velvia and such like.

Hi Richard, I took the plunge a few weeks ago and got myself an X10. As others have said, I wanted a small,versatile camera that wouldn't start me on Lens lust. I had a Sony NEX-5, which was OK, but didn't have a viewfinder. I now find that I take the X 10 everywhere, and it has re-ignited my interest in Photograhy. No more lugging a D700-D300 and at least 2/3 lenses with me.

Rob, Thank you.

I am surprised that so far the fuji is beating the Nikon hands down.

I am Nikon through and through with a great deal of Fuji on the outside.:)

I need some help in deciding on either a Nikon V1 or Fuji X100, now I know the + and - of interchangeable lenses etc.

My question is really just based on flexibility and most important IQ.

:D

I know this will not be much help but the Fuji for quality and the V1 for flexibility, neither really fulfil both criteria.

To be honest neither would be my choice for a compact system camera especially with the wealth of choice out there, but as you are locked into that brand mindset then the Fuji would be my choice.:)

I choose Fuji x100 any day because of the following reason:

1) No lens changing at all so i can concentrate on compose, framing and shooting instead of worring about changing lens etc.

2) More durable in my hands when i tried it out in the shop and i like the retro style with all the control dial is in my hands.

3) Better sensor on the Fuji x100 and superb optic quality on the lens.

That is beginning to push me the Fuji route. Thanks.

I know this will not be much help but the Fuji for quality and the V1 for flexibility, neither really fulfil both criteria.

To be honest neither would be my choice for a compact system camera especially with the wealth of choice out there, but as you are locked into that brand mindset then the Fuji would be my choice.:)

Please tell me more, my roots have only dictated my research to date(y).

Fuji had done a very good job of bringing these retro look/style of camera back in the market. I'm a Nikon guy but i'm very disappoint with the Nikon interchangeable lens camera personally. My dad owns a Fuji x10 and i really like it alot and he liked it alot due to the camera is like his old film camera but much smaller.

The Fuji x100 gives you that street photography look, quality, feel and optic which is ideal for travel and walkaround. Of course is a fixed prime lens which means you have to zoom with your feet and make you think before you shoot. (if you shoot film you should know what i mean).

Pretty much X100 is the only cheap camera for that style to buy unless you want to throw 5-6k on a Leica ........ which gives you superb quality (FF) and can change lens.

I've got the V1 and love it. I got it with the kit 10-30 lens, bought the 30-110 and then some Polaroid filters from eBay. I'd like to get the 10mm lens for when I go out and just want it compact.

It's being updated very soon with a v2 model (http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/09/nikon-1-j2-mirrorless-camera-pricing-release-date-ship-official/) that has minor tweaks but nothing major.

The only thing that I'd of liked was the ability to plug a flash into it but it's big brother allows that and this one just has a pop up flash which is okay.

It's got some neat video tricks and creates 10 sec slo mo video with cheesy music in it!

Manual mode is okay but is difficult setting it for HDR shots (quickly doing the +/- 2 stops).

I do like that I can EyeFi photos to my tablet instantly (well, within a few seconds) but that's available with all SD cameras! But is worth getting one if you want that convenience regardless of camera!

Cheers
Carl.

Please tell me more, my roots have only dictated my research to date(y).

Ok and this is just based on my preference and style of photographic shooting.

One criteria that is a must for me (and I stress me) even for general and street shooting is the ability to use dof to isolate a subject for creative photography.

A fixed lens of 35mm equivalent or the much smaller sensor (with its increased dof) of the V1 both mean this is much harder to achieve and limiting. Also the IQ of a larger sensor than the V1 has is a plus on my card.

My DSLR kit and Compact System kit are different brands, there really is no need to stick to one brand for both systems. And no I am not going to push the brand I use like a fan boy.:)

X100, because;

- IQ
- Happy to use one lens, especially if a good one with low aperture (I only own a single prime on my DSLR)
- Just looks and feels so good

I have the x10 for my carry everywhere (although it was displaced from my bag today by my oly trip!) and can recommend it. It is small, light, the image quality is good and it has the film emulation modes (not that they look like the films they are named after!). The optical viewfinder is not great but does a job and the screen is nice. Due to its zoom lens it is much more versatile than the x100 and even better the zoom is a real zoom where you turn the wotsit and it manually zooms!

I lusted after an x100 but the x10 was the sensible choice for me.

Ok and this is just based on my preference and style of photographic shooting.

One criteria that is a must for me (and I stress me) even for general and street shooting is the ability to use dof to isolate a subject for creative photography.

A fixed lens of 35mm equivalent or the much smaller sensor (with its increased dof) of the V1 both mean this is much harder to achieve and limiting. Also the IQ of a larger sensor than the V1 has is a plus on my card.

My DSLR kit and Compact System kit are different brands, there really is no need to stick to one brand for both systems. And no I am not going to push the brand I use like a fan boy.:)

(y)(y)

Another vote for the X100, I've had mine a fortnight and absolutely love it.

I was worried that the fixed lens would be a limitation, but it's anything but, it makes you look for photos and work at compositions instead of just zooming in and out lazily. The image and build quality are also very impressive!

I totally agree with this. I've owned the X100 for over a year and the V1 for 6 months. The X100 is a beautiful thing to own and will produce stunning jpegs straight from the camera and is fantastic for low light photography. I find the autofocus adequate with the latest firmware update but still miss shots now and then.

The V1 is obviously more flexible as it takes interchangeable lenses. Image quality and focussing speed are superb. I'm finding that coupled with the 10mm f2.8 lens I'm using the Fuji less and less. The only thing that bugs me about the V1 is the mode dial which seems to shift of its own accord.

I would tend towards the V1 for flexibility in the long term for all round photography.

For me the V1,i have been using mine for about a year now,its my 24/7 camera with me all the time,its very well build easy to use,as someone said the only thing is the dial mode seems to have a bit of a mind of its own :D.

The adpator works great if you have Nikon lens.

:)

X100 for me. As well as stunning IQ, it handles well and is unobtrusive and quiet for street photography.

Well people, many thanks for the opinions, I have decided, base on what you said that the X100 is the route and already made bids, I think that when Fuji have them back in stock, I will buy there.

Cheers and regards,

Richard.

Well people, many thanks for the opinions, I have decided, base on what you said that the X100 is the route and already made bids, I think that when Fuji have them back in stock, I will buy there.

Cheers and regards,

Richard.
They will not be in stock they have been discontinued i would recommend you to wait a couple of weeks for all the big announcements a photokina in sept.

Why just these 2 cameras? Sony will be announcing a nex-6 in sept with a aps-c sensor and evf within your budget. There is also the Samsung nx200 which has won the EISA and Amateur Photgrapher award for best CSC which also has a aps-c sensor and evf and within budget.

Last edited:
Thanks for that and I am in no rush so I will wait the extra weeks, my bids have not been successful so far. :)

Looked at the NX200, great, but no viewfinder?

Last edited:
Thanks for that and I am in no rush so I will wait the extra weeks, my bids have not been successful so far. :)

Looked at the NX200, great, but no viewfinder?
Oh yeah i was sure it had one? Wait for the nex-6 and fuji x200 then.

The NX20 is the one with a viewfinder and has more of a small DSLR form.

If you had more dosh I was going to say the fuji x pro1.

Out of those two, not sure... Might be worth playing with all the cameras if you can in store.

NX/NEX/GF3/G/GX/V1/J1... Just play with them all. Most are pretty darn good, but some will just feel better/right.

My wife has the GF3 and I've just got her the 20mm f1.7. Pictures in the link from me playing with it.

I have heard (if you like the manual focus) that you can put a leica/summicron on it via an adapter... ;)

Back