Nikon P7000 or Canon G12?

Name
Dave Pickett
Edit My Images
Yes
ie which high end compact?

I tried them both in park cameras, and the G12 seems much better ergonomically. As a nikon user I would lean towards the P7000, but I actually don't think its as good.

Anyone convince me otherwise, or suggest an alternative? I am looking for an optical viewfinder as my eyesight isn't great close up and I hate putting glasses on to see the screen then taking them off again!

If I bought the Canon would that be a move to the light side?

If you prefer the canon, don't be put off because of some pointless sense of brand loyalty.

Never used either, but if the G12 seems better ergonomically, why wouldn't you get it?

Last edited:
thanks, not much in it, but reckon the Canon is favourite for me.....

I looked at both of these and eventually ended up getting the Lumix LX5. Really great camera.

What do you want out of your compact? What are you primarilly using it for?

If portability is also a big issue look at the S95 too, I think that uses the same sensor as the G12 but is so much smaller. Definitely wins on the portability side.

Nick, thanks but I do need an optical viewfinder to save putting glasses on and off all the time!

Oh that's right, sorry forgot about the viewfinder issue. Of course you could purchase a viewfinder for the LX5, but yeah, that seems like quite a hassle. I guess the new Olympus is also out then and also the micro four-thirds cameras. You may well be right then about those two being your pick.

If it were me I'd opt for the G12, particularly as one of the worst thing about the P7000 is the quality of its optical viewfinder. Here's a group test review of the P7000 vs the two other cameras I mentioned. The reviews I read, I seem to remember, had the G12 outperforming the P7000 quite substantially.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/

And the G11 review (there's also a G12 review, but you'll get a good idea from this)

http://dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/page20.asp

Hope that helps

I don't think the viewfinder is not too great on either as I've owned the g10 in the past want very pocket friendly too. I know the canon s95 has no viewfinder but still an excellent camera with a fast lens, something to consider

I bought a P7000 from Clifton Cameras this week - included a 2gig card and case. Chuffed to bits with it. Took some shots today when the sun came out, seems a great walka bout to me.

I like it a great deal as you don't have to go through masses of menus to adjust things. it has lots of buttons but such good quality in such a little camera

G12, I got the P7000 and it's just too slow.

Dave Pickett said:
ie which high end compact?

I tried them both in park cameras, and the G12 seems much better ergonomically. As a nikon user I would lean towards the P7000, but I actually don't think its as good.

Anyone convince me otherwise, or suggest an alternative? I am looking for an optical viewfinder as my eyesight isn't great close up and I hate putting glasses on to see the screen then taking them off again!

If I bought the Canon would that be a move to the light side?

G12 got my vote. That's a fine little camera.

Back