Nikon P90

Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I am looking to get a decent camera to get back into photography, i know its not all about the number of megapixels and the amount of zoom, but the quality of the lens and optics.

What do people think of Nikon's new "bridge" camera. Review here.

thanks, or should i be looking at something else?

First of all :welcome: to TP :wave:

I had one of the P90's predecessors, the Coolpix 8700 a few years ago and it was a great wee camera, my only reservation is that it costs more than all of the entry level dslrs, yet doesn't allow you to move on as a photographer and buy extra lenses etc, the way a dslr does.

Hi, welcome to TP dont know to much aboat the Nikon P90, but if your thinking aboat getting back into photography then a dslr would be a better route . Once your hooked i think the Nikon P90 will be limited the Nikon d40 is a super camera to start with and you could always extend your lens choice.

I have a lot to learn about photography, as i had a point and shoot film as a kid and then briefly used my dads olympus film SLR until he sold it and then that was it. As i know that whatever sales people push at you is just marketing numbers, I want a camera that will have good optics and lens hopefully. I will basically have to learn all about the settings and stuff from scratch, I was looking for a camera that i can point and shoot with when i want, but if i want to spend more time manually setting it up and learning then i can, so would an entry range DSLR be better than a "bridge" camera? Thanks :)

You can stick an SLR in auto mode and will act as a point and shoot - what you would lose is some of the zoom range of a bridge camera if you only had the kit lens of an entry level SLR, but you could always get a cheap zoom lens to go with your starter kit, and then learn the various 'manual' modes of the camera at your own pace!

Oh and welcome!! :D

So does the D40 look like a better camera than the P90? Does it have better optics and lens?

Optically they will be much of a much, but you can upgrade the lens on the D40 when your photography becomes more advanced, whereas you can't with the P90. I'd recommend having a look at the Nikon D60 VR Lens Kit (AF-S 18-55mm VR) with image stabilisation, which costs about the same as a P90.

Optically they will be much of a much, but you can upgrade the lens on the D40 when your photography becomes more advanced, whereas you can't with the P90. I'd recommend having a look at the Nikon D60 VR Lens Kit (AF-S 18-55mm VR) with image stabilisation, which costs about the same as a P90.

:agree: What Flash says. Much better option that will allow you to progress should you want to.

Excellent camera.

Chris :)

yes i agree, i can get more for my money looking at it. does this website look ok or would you stay away? cheers

yes i agree, i can get more for my money looking at it. does this website look ok or would you stay away? cheers

I'd stay well clear - for starters it should have a 2 year Nikon warranty, 1 year suggests it's either an import or a refurbished camera. Have a look here for some mre reliable sources ;)

cheers thanks a lot, just saw a review on youtube and it says the D60 is a lot lighter than the d40 :) thanks for all the help. What else would you get if you bought this camera? do you have a prefference of make for cards?

I don't see how it can be any lighter, it's essentially the same camera, but with a bigger sensor :shrug:

When I had my D80 I was just buying the own brand SD cards from 7dayshop.com I think a 2gb one (which will store hundreds of pictures) is just over £3.00, delivered nowadys :)

I'd definitely go down the DSLR/lenses route rather than the P60. As suggested, the D40/D60 are excellent, round about the same price point.

Or you could go for a second hand D80, which is a great little camera, and has the advantage of the internal motor which the D40X or D60 doesn't have, one of the other forum members is selling one HERE at a very good price which includes an SD card :)

I have a P80, very pleased with it. With hindsight I wish I had put the money towards a DSLR.
(Rapidly saving for a D90 before the rumoured 40% price increase):eek:

That's a serious price increase if the rumour becomes reality - why only the D90?

That's a serious price increase if the rumour becomes reality - why only the D90?

I'm used to the Nikon menu, all the reports I have read recomend it.
If anone has bad experience of a D90 or think a (discontinued)D80 would be ok, please let me know.

I'm used to the Nikon menu, all the reports I have read recomend it.
If anone has bad experience of a D90 or think a (discontinued)D80 would be ok, please let me know.

Sorry Dave, I meant why only the D90 with that price increase! I know what you mean with the Nikon menu - I've gone from D40 to D300 (beyond my needs) to the D90. I absolutely love the D90 - great handling, sharp images, really good in low light.

I heard the whole Nikon and Cannon range were going up due to the yen/pound exhange rate ?

I have a Nikon P80 and it is a great camera and can take some lovely photos. I did however after I bought it decide to upgrade to a DSLR and since then have rarely used it. I have kept it as it is a good for any situations where I don't want to carry a bigger camera and various lenses.

Hi, i have just got a Nikon D60 with the VR lens plus a Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 lens. was this a sensible choice?

cheers

Back