Nikon palm rubber replacement

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone ever got a replacement and stuck it on yourself? Looks a simple job. Mines bubbled again on my D750.

It's pretty easy to do, I've not done it with a D750 but have done with other cameras, they're all much the same. The hardest part is removing the glue from the original grip once you pull it away. Get some alcohol wipes, they work pretty good - make sure the surface is glue free, all clean and dry before adding the new grip. You can get grips on ebay or some of the Chinese sites for about £35

I cannot believe that nikon is still suffering these problems . unreal

Which part specifically are you looking for? When you say 'palm' replacement, do you mean on the rear?

I really don’t get this!

Not willy waving but I’ve never seen any camera lose it’s rubber coat after a few years of use... except Nikons!

And yet Nikon owners have clung to the fact they have ‘superior build quality’ for years. Often accusing other makes of ‘feeling cheap’ WTF.

Nikon cameras fall apart, and Nikon owners just shrug and ask for tips to glue them back together.

I really don’t get this!

Not willy waving but I’ve never seen any camera lose it’s rubber coat after a few years of use... except Nikons!

And yet Nikon owners have clung to the fact they have ‘superior build quality’ for years. Often accusing other makes of ‘feeling cheap’ WTF.

Nikon cameras fall apart, and Nikon owners just shrug and ask for tips to glue them back together.

It happened to my Fuji XT1, but Fuji sent me out a set of full body replacement grips free of charge, even though the camera was 2 years old at that stage

@Livin The Dream Is it this piece you're after? https://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Thumb-R...h=item3d3bb49eb1:g:Fs0AAOSwrhBZH9Md:rk:5:pf:0

Last edited:
I should add it did happen to my D800E too, it was the front grip, started to peel away a little on the front grip under the shutter and around to the back in the bottom corner too. I had to knock a few quid off when selling it because of this. Buy said he knew where to get new grips - so it must be common enough. It was from that experience I went in search when it happened to the Fuji, found a few threads where people experienced same and suggested to get on to Fuji, they know about the issue - it is only with the original copies of the XT1, what they send out are improved grips, harder material, less soft-rubbery. They went on nicely, camera looked new afterward and it helped me get full value selling on

Last edited:
d200 ,d300 ,d300s all like to parade around naked , hope they have cured it with the latest ZZ top of range :beer::beer::beer::beer:

I should add it did happen to my D800E too, it was the front grip, started to peel away a little on the front grip under the shutter and around to the back in the bottom corner too. I had to knock a few quid off when selling it because of this. Buy said he knew where to get new grips - so it must be common enough.

It's actually not a trivial task to replace the grip on a D800/800E:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3537207

Some other Nikons are much easier.

My Nikon D300 had the rubber work loose, that is the section with the red stripe on it. replacing very easy hardest part was replacing he screw in the battery chamber that helps hold the rubber in place, either the screw or the screwdriver was magnetic which made it easier. The problem is the material that Nikon use absorbs moisture from the hand and then the material expands. It did the same with the lens rubber as well but replacement not expensive

Last edited:
It's actually not a trivial task to replace the grip on a D800/800E:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3537207

Some other Nikons are much easier.

Yep, currently weighing up whether to even bother doing mine. It's the front large grip under the red stripe. I emailed Nikon spares to describe the problem and they sent me a whole new housing with rubber attached. But camera has to be taken apart to fit that. I'd be surprised if I'd see change from £100. Annoying. All my other Nikon's have been cheap and easy to sort.

I know what @Phil V is getting at but I don't think it is just a nikon problem. I just think it seems to happen earlier on Nikon cameras than others. I've seen the same issue recently on Olympus cameras and a Canon 5D2. And it happens on older film cameras too. It's kind of inevitable one way or another but clearly other manufacturers have found better solutions than Nikon.

Anyway back to the OP, cleaning the old crap off is the most important part. It's easy enough but can take a little while. The rest is a piece of cake.

i got that part for my D300 off ebay didn't cost that much and well worth doing. i just left the old resin glue on when I did mine
link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...or+Nikon+D750+Front+Main+Grip+Rubber&_sacat=0

this is the part I replaced (cost around £16 not the cheaper ones with tape)) and no more problems now. You would not know that red stripe piece was not the original

Ht0EGQJ.jpg

Last edited:
i got that part for my D300 off ebay didn't cost that much and well worth doing. i just left the old resin glue on when I did mine
link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...or+Nikon+D750+Front+Main+Grip+Rubber&_sacat=0

this is the part I replaced (cost around £16 not the cheaper ones with tape)) and no more problems now. You would not know that red stripe piece was not the original

Ht0EGQJ.jpg

Yep. The d800 is different for some reason. You can’t buy the rubber part separately. You have to buy the whole grip housing. Think the d750 is fine though.

It is worth removing all the glue if you can. Gives the new part a better bond to the camera rather than bonding to old mushy adhesive. Should last longer if it’s all removed. Can be a pain though.

Back