Nikon Prime help please

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Looking to get a prime for walk about and low light.

I've narrowed it down to either a new Nikon 35mm f1.8D/G or a secondhand Sigma ART 30mm f1.4. The latter is around £100 more. Would love the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART but it's well out of my price range.

Any thoughts or opinions? Is the slightly wider and more open Sigma worth it?

Cheers

Andy

Agreed, the 35mm DX is stupidly good, especially considering how cheap it is!

Nikkor 35mm f1.8
Sharp as the sharpest stick thrown by Sharpy Mc Sharpface in the annual sharpest stick throwing competition. Buy it Now.

DX - then yes the 35mm F/1.8 is silly good for the money. They could double the price and it would STILL be so!

LOL ok so the Nikon. Now D or G. I have a 7200 so it's got the autofocus motor. I'm thinking D looks cooler, more retro :D

There is only the G model. The D is f2.

There are in fact two 1.8G models;

35mm f/1.8G DX
35mm f/1.8G ED

the later is for FX, but is more expensive.

As far as I am concerned I never liked the 35mm as one-does-it-all lens on DX, I love my 28mm focal length on FX though...

There are in fact two 1.8G models;

35mm f/1.8G DX
35mm f/1.8G ED

the later is for FX, but is more expensive.

As far as I am concerned I never liked the 35mm as one-does-it-all lens on DX, I love my 28mm focal length on FX though...

You miss my point. Of the two 35mm's mentioned (G & D) only the G is F1.8.

I've had both the DX and FX AF-S models and the FX version is a waste of money for a DX body imo.

Good comments here. When I was using DX I found the 35mm f1.8 to give stunning results and the fact that it was dirt cheap was a big bonus. As far as FX is concerned, if you can afford it, the 35mm f1.4G is a stonking lump of Nikon glass!

I always got along with my 1.8 DX :) In fact I still have it even after buying FX cameras, it doesn't get used but I just know it'll come in handy one day; my fiancée goes through phases of wanting a little SLR and with a baby on the way I may treat her, so this would be perfect for it. For the price I'd get for it, it's not worth selling at the moment!

The Art lens gets decent reviews though, not perfect but good. Unfortunately I haven't used one to comment.

One handy feature is that the Nikon is weather proof too, something my 4x more expensive Sigma isn't!

35mm as a general lens on DX? Pah. Get a 24mm. :LOL:

Back