Nikon R1C1 - what do you think

Edit My Images
No
Dragonfly season is approaching

I nearly got the kit last year but held off and held off and then winter came.

Do I need the the SU-800 commander if I have a Speedlight Flash and also when using it with the D810/D750

£350/£400 seem to be the going rate used for the R1C1 used with the R1 kit new about £400

what do you guys think particularly for Dragonflies etc., out in the open

The SU-800 is smaller than any Speedlight that can act as a commander. Obviously, you need something to act as commander with those cameras and either will work but I think the SU-800 is more flexible if you want to control multiple groups of speedlights.
My only worry with using the R1 for dragonflies is that you'll get multiple reflections in the eyes which may look a bit odd. You can get Sto-fen diffusers for the SB-R200s which might reduce the effect.

The SU-800 is smaller than any Speedlight that can act as a commander. Obviously, you need something to act as commander with those cameras and either will work but I think the SU-800 is more flexible if you want to control multiple groups of speedlights.
My only worry with using the R1 for dragonflies is that you'll get multiple reflections in the eyes which may look a bit odd. You can get Sto-fen diffusers for the SB-R200s which might reduce the effect.

Morning Jonathan, many thanks for your comments

I find the R1C1 kit great for macro, it is even possible to add additional SB200 flash units to the front circular ring to create a ring flash effect if you are so minded! (Makes it a bit heavy though).

To add extra diffusion over and above the supplied clip on covers, I use corrugated plastic envelope stiffeners, which I regularly get for free in packaging. They can be cut to shape as required.

It's probably worth asking who (apart from Ian) is doing what with one in the Macro & Close-up forum. There's some really top-class work there.

Back