[Nikon] Replacing my macro lens, with what though?

Edit My Images
Yes
Towards the end of this month I'll be looking to replace my trusty Nikkor 28-105mm Macro with something else.

The requirement isn't just to take snaps of creepy-crawleys and the likes as I'd also like it to be utilised for photographing fine Jewellery - ranging from ring close-ups to compositions with other items (necklaces etc) in an area of about 20cm square. Therefore it needs to have the ability to have a wide aperture range to cater for changing DOF needs and be (obviousley) sharp as a tack.

I have a wide range of high-quality 67mm screw-on filters , that being the size for 90% of my glass. Therefore would prefer it to match so I can utilise them, albeit it's not overly important so long as step up/down ring can be used effectively.

TIA :)

Sigma 105mm f/2.8? It'll give you 1:1 magnification, and is held in very high regard (and takes 58mm filters, so a step-up ring would be fine, although I'm not too sure why you'd use one for macro?)! It depends on how much room you have to work in though, if you're quite light on space you might have to be too far away for a ~100mm lens to be practical.

What focal lengths have you been using most for your shots so far?

Chris

Edit: What's your lighting setup like? The most common macro lenses are pretty much all excellent, the lighing can make a huge difference though!

Sigma 105mm f/2.8? It'll give you 1:1 magnification, and is held in very high regard (and takes 58mm filters, so a step-up ring would be fine, although I'm not too sure why you'd use one for macro?)! It depends on how much room you have to work in though, if you're quite light on space you might have to be too far away for a ~100mm lens to be practical.

What focal lengths have you been using most for your shots so far?

Chris

Edit: What's your lighting setup like? The most common macro lenses are pretty much all excellent, the lighing can make a huge difference though!

Pretty much all the way through the range of the current Macro glass Chris, albeit I tend to use the far end mostly... Hmmmm, what's the Min FD of the Siggy, and is the aperture fixed to F2.8?

Was just playing with my dads 105mm micro Nikkor, a lovely piece of kit.

Nick.

If you are OK with manual focus, I suggest the Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-S.

For what you suggest, where working distance isn't a priority but tack-sharpness is, I can't think of a better lens.

If you are OK with manual focus, I suggest the Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-S.

For what you suggest, where working distance isn't a priority but tack-sharpness is, I can't think of a better lens.

MF isn't an issue....

Andy, tell me more about this one please. What's the going rate for a good copy? Currently, there's one on eBay for just over £150 inc UPS express delivery from the USA, described as:

''The Glass is PERFECT - no marks of any kind. There are only light signs of prior use on the barrel. The aperture blades are clean, oil-free and snappy and the focus is smooth. Included are the original Nikon front and rear lens caps. It is difficult to find a 55mm f/2.8 that doesn't have one of 2 problems - extremely stiff focusing or oily diaphragm blades. Both of these problems are caused by the focus lubricant being either too soft or too hard. This lens has neither of these problems.''

ETA - what size does this have for taking screw-on filters?

Pretty much all the way through the range of the current Macro glass Chris, albeit I tend to use the far end mostly... Hmmmm, what's the Min FD of the Siggy, and is the aperture fixed to F2.8?

Well if you aren't in a confined space, and can take a few steps back if necessary, I'm sure it would be fine, especially if you're using the far end most of the time anyway.

According to here, the minimum focussing distance is 310mm (well actually it says 310m, but I'm assuming it's a typo! :D). The grey table near the bottom of the review (y)

MF isn't an issue....

Andy, tell me more about this one please. What's the going rate for a good copy? Currently, there's one on eBay for just over £150 inc UPS express delivery from the USA, described as:

''The Glass is PERFECT - no marks of any kind. There are only light signs of prior use on the barrel. The aperture blades are clean, oil-free and snappy and the focus is smooth. Included are the original Nikon front and rear lens caps. It is difficult to find a 55mm f/2.8 that doesn't have one of 2 problems - extremely stiff focusing or oily diaphragm blades. Both of these problems are caused by the focus lubricant being either too soft or too hard. This lens has neither of these problems.''

ETA - what size does this have for taking screw-on filters?

Probably a bit expensive after tax + import duty. Its 52mm. I've heard about those problems though, the first one I bought had the stiff focusing problem.

Its really really really sharp. Optically I think its probably the "reference" lens for Nikon macros. Its a 25 year old lens, and they still make it.

-Andy

there is a table of macro lens specs here. It gives both minimum focus distance (subject to sensor) and working distance (WD - distance from subject to front of lens at minimum focus distance).

Thanks for the info there jomkie (y)

Chris, as much as I am tempted by the 105, and saying earlier about the 90mm perhaps being a little short; the 55mm AI-S looks like the best way to go, especially for doing the jewellery.

Andy, I'll pop a Wanted thread on here to see what examples, if any, get offered to me.

Chris, as much as I am tempted by the 105, and saying earlier about the 90mm perhaps being a little short; the 55mm AI-S looks like the best way to go, especially for doing the jewellery.

Sorry, I'm a bit lost! You say the 90mm might be a bit short, so you're heading for the 55mm :thinking:

I've got limited knowledge of the Nikon range, so can't really advise much more, just that comment w2as a bit of an odd one! :)

Sorry, I'm a bit lost! You say the 90mm might be a bit short, so you're heading for the 55mm :thinking:

I've got limited knowledge of the Nikon range, so can't really advise much more, just that comment w2as a bit of an odd one! :)
Agreed. However after doing some form of research into the AI-S lens puddleduck mentioned ^^^, I decided that it was a 'must have' piece of glass that fulfuls the important part of the need (sharpness), albeit contradicted my '90mm' comment somewhat, lol.

Although it occured to me, that with your D90 the 55mm won't meter. I'm coming from a D700 POV where everything just works...

You won't get a sharper macro lens, no matter how much you spend however (the Sigma 70mm will get close).

Nikon 60mm f2.8 is super sharp and I just happen to have an excellent super sharp example for sale in the classifieds. Focus to 8 3/4" but 62mm filter size.

Andy

Have you considered the Sigma 150? It's supposed to be an absolute gem of a lens and will mean you don't have to worry about getting too up close and personal. I've got a 60mm myself and although it's an absolutely superb lens it can be difficult to shoot insects and the like that really don't appreciate you being so close.

Back