Nikon SB-900

I wonder how much.

:eek::eek::shake:

Hmm it looks exactly as Canon`s EX580 II, so price tag 360 is quite acceptable ...

OK so it has a few more buttons on the back but it's still superficially the same looks as the 800 ... :shrug: ...

:thinking: ... clearly a much bigger, brighter and better bulb though ... :naughty:

:p

Also covers a much wider zoom range - 17-200mm, and auto detection of FX vs DX so you don't light too much outside of the DX coverage area.

the zoom range doensnt really matter, more of a gimmick which mainly just saves power, by focusing the light where its needed rather than illuminate a massive area.

Basically it directs the light, there is only so much power, so if it directs it down a narrower field of view then there is more light available to light the subject when it gets there. If that sentance makes any sense at all.

I know what I mean anyway.....:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

i know what you mean:LOL:
less is more etc.:D

my basic point is to light a subject 10 metres away takes less flash power at 200mm than 18mm, so by setting the flash to 200mm you are using less power, in a concentrated area, therefore reducing recycle time, and increasing battery life.

x+y=1p/(2x/3b) - or summat like that:LOL:

x+y=1p/(2x/3b) - or summat like that:LOL:

My head just exploded :p

Does make sense though - often I've used a BetterBeamer on my SB-800 which really just re-focuses the light giving a tighter beam so I can shoot with a 300mm lens for example.

Based on Joe McNally's comments on the flash, it's a worthy upgrade. In fact the menu system and button changes are probably worth the extra if you use these flashes a lot.

I was on a course yesterday hosted by Oz Kharawala on portrait photography. He helped with some of the testing / reviews pre release and the extra power and more directional lighting are the two big plus points.

He's the chap who won the 'environmental photographer of the year 2007' and only used speedlights for outdoor portraits. All very portable and simple to set up, it was very refreshing to see a working pro prove it's not too technical and it's more about creativity.

Based on Joe McNally's comments on the flash, it's a worthy upgrade. In fact the menu system and button changes are probably worth the extra if you use these flashes a lot.

yeah I gotta say nikon do have a rubbish flash button system, they make such a simple set of commands tricky and looooong to use. Very strange when their cameras menu system is so easy!

Where can I find out about the button system? I wonder if youtube has a review or anything yet? hmm..

The same price it is now I suspect. They might even discontinue the SB800.

Surely not? The SB600 is still going strong and is very similar (main difference being no command mode imo)... SB800 still has a place I think, especially with the SB900 being so pricey.

Surely not? The SB600 is still going strong and is very similar (main difference being no command mode imo)... SB800 still has a place I think, especially with the SB900 being so pricey.

Well the SB600 and SB800 are very different features wise, power and commander mode. The 800 and 900 are basically the same thing, but a slightly different interface and a few extra bits that aren't really that different.

They might carry on with the SB800, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it got dropped in favour of the 900 pretty quickly.

Let's be fair this is not a big improvement (it was difficult for the SB800 to be revolutionarily improved)

Faster recycling times will be good. Anything that makes the flash less fiddly to use will be appreciated by pros who use their speedlights alot so hence the button changes.

As for the price, it will come down, but probably not very fast, flashes and lenses tend not to drop that quickly. I wouldn't imagine that it would be the SB800 that goes, my money is on the SB600 disappearing.

Currently, prices in the UK are cheaper than buying in £ Sterling from Hong Kong :eek: I don't remember that ever happening before!

Microglobe are selling for £329 which is only ( I say 'only') £80 more than the SB800.

Currently, prices in the UK are cheaper than buying in £ Sterling from Hong Kong :eek: I don't remember that ever happening before!

Microglobe are selling for £329 which is only ( I say 'only') £80 more than the SB800.

i've noticed that as well and was rather surprised. my local independent camera shop has a special offer price of £319.99 at the moment, which is also a bit of a surprise as its the lowest i've seen. http://www.yorkcameramart.co.uk/

Back