Nikon SB600 problem

MrC

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hi there has anyone had the LCD flashing problem on the SB600 and the random firing of the flash? From what I’ve read there’s seems to be a fault with this flash that Nikon are not admitting too, I maybe wrong thou. Here’s a few posts I found:

Hi,
My SB600 has been randomly firing small flashes for some time, and a month or two ago, it started having a continuous blinking LCD. It seems to work fine most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't even flash despite clicking the shutter on my D50.
Does anybody else have this problem?
I thought it was solely my sb600's fault, but I borrowed a friends SB600(perfectly fine) to photograph a wedding, and it was working great, until it gave random weird flashes as well!
I'm beginning to think maybe my D50 is getting messed up. I'm not really quite sure, but has anybody else experienced this before?
My D50 was bought off eBay brand new 2 years ago, and my flash was also eBay'ed brand new about 1.5 years ago. I think my D50 is still in perfect working condition, and the flash started acting up around January 2007.
Thank you for any help guys!
... I was thinking if this problem still persists, I'd be better off getting a SB-800 as a replacement and to serve as a commander or something when I get my next wedding gig.

Answers
Jim E. , Aug 05, 2007; 05:15 a.m.
I don't know what it is, but I've got an SB-800 that does the same thing. The LCD doesn't blink, but it does fire off little random flashes for no apparent reason when mounted directly to the body. It won't do it if used as a remote and controlled by an SU-800. Only in my case, I have a another SB-800 that seems to work fine when mounted to the same body (D200).
In your case it sounds like maybe the body. I gave up trying to figure out what mine was doing. Maybe a loose or bad connection on that particular flash when mounted to the camera, I don't know.

Elliot Bernstein , Aug 05, 2007; 06:07 a.m.
My sb-800 does the same thing. According to my calls to Nikon, it is some kind of static discharge. I notice than when I touch certain buttons or locations of my d200, it is more apt to do it.
I believe it is the body rather than the flash. Oddly it does not do it with my d80s.

Rollence Patugan , Sep 06, 2007; 06:09 p.m.
I have the exact same problem as described in the original message of this thread. I have a D50 with a SB600. It fires random flashes. Both units were purchased brand new and I did not notice this problem before.
If this is a static discharge problem, then is there any way to "ground" body or flash unit so this doesn't happen?

Brian Henry, Sep 08, 2007; 08:19 a.m.
My SB-600 LCD also flashes continuously, it seems to work fine, but there is an uneasiness that comes with not knowing what's wrong. Anybody know how to fix this problem or is it an issue that should be ignored?
Brooke Whatnall , Sep 20, 2007; 07:08 a.m.
mine is doing the same thing, though the problem started when I replaced the old batterys with recharged ones that I had used in it before, and it started blinking before i put it onto the camera, is there anyway to stop the blinking, im getting a D200 this weekend, so ill see if that fixes it
Felix Chen , Sep 20, 2007; 01:18 p.m.
Definitely glad to hear that it's not only me with this annoying problem!
So it just seems like the random flashes = Body?
And the crazy blinking LCD = Flash?

Brooke Whatnall , Nov 08, 2007; 02:43 p.m.
I think I found out how to prevent it, I was putting the flash onto my d200 the other day, and it was quite dark, and there was a little static spark when I slid the turned on sb600 onto the mount, making static electricity and causing the flashing, warranty fixes the flashing, and now I always turn it on after the flash is on, and off whenever I take if off

Joseph Masciantonio , Jul 11, 2008; 01:11 p.m.
We do not have any service advisories or recalls on the SB-600 flash unit, so it has not been identified as a defect. Our technicians would need to see the flash in order to correct the problem.
To send it in for service, you may fill out this form: http://form.nikonimagesvcapprove.com/. When you click the "Print & Submit" button at the bottom of the form, it will generate our mailing address for service, along with two copies of the form itself. Include one copy with the flash, plus a copy of your sales receipt, and keep the other copy for your records. Our average service time is 7-10 business days. Thanks for using Nikon products! Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service http://support.nikontech.com

Joseph Masciantonio , Jul 11, 2008; 01:13 p.m.
I too am having the same problem. Above is what I got from Nikon.
I guess they don't have good internet service at Nikon because this is clearly a defect.

Louie F , Dec 07, 2008; 04:57 a.m.
Hello all.
I have same problems and have taken to Nikon HK for repairing. They say it may be caused by the damage of electronic circuit.
As my warrenty was expired, the repairing charge they quoted is at least HK$1,xxx. It is big half of new flash. So I quit.
Do this happen in other model on Nikon brand?
By the way, could I check how many flashs done on my flashlight? As I am a holiday shoter, not use flashlight very often.

Has anyone had this problem fixed be a service?

I've seen it happen a couple of times, on D200 based bodies (D200, S5 Pro) with both SB-600 / SB-800.

I do know unofficially what the issue is. Its mechanical, and not electronic.

Its not something I'd worry about or send in for service as its rare, at least in my experience.

does it only do it on the hotshoe? mine went off a couple of times on its own , then i read somewhere that it could be caused by moving about on the hotshoe .so i gently tapped the metal guide on the shoe down , gave it a tighter fit and hasnt done it since ,
WARNING hitting your camera in this way might kill it ..

Back