Beginner Nikon SB600 vs Nissin Di866

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking at getting myself a TTL capable flashgun for my Nikon D5200 to start learning/teaching myself to use off camera flash indoors and out.
Any suggestions for a bracket arm that can be used to mount the flash off centre while hand held would be useful too.

I'm looking at keeping this to a budget under £100 but could possibly stretch a little bit if I can see the advantages of doing so.

At the moment, I don't need advice on how to use it as enjoy the learning process of teaching myself and can ask for advice on what I might miss once I have a go. My main intention is to move away from the pop up flash so I can have flash away from the centre of the lens axis.

what about the Nissin Di 700 very capable off camera unit?

Les

Is a lithium ion battery a huge advantage? I'm guessing it is a money saver too?

Far more flashes than a set of AA cells, About 500 so should last the complete shoot for most people

trigger can be had for a lot less. Beauty of this is that if you decide to do more then the same equipment will integrate with a whole range of equipment.

Mike

Any suggestions for a bracket arm that can be used to mount the flash off centre while hand held would be useful too.
A bracket isn't going to move the flash far enough to make much difference. The main reason for getting one is to keep the flash "above" when the camera is rotated to portrait... Learning to bounce the flash will be much more useful IMO, and it's free.

I will do this too, but the bracket will move the flash far enough for macro photography.
Not really... for macro you need to move the flash forward and point it more downward, not move it to the side/up. This is how I have my speedlight set up for handheld macro work.

DSCF2496.jpg

I always got great results from the Di622 about £45 used on ebay. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that you had to press and hold the on button for about 3 seconds to get it to power up. This can seem like an age in a fast moving situation so I swapped to Nikon flashes with an on/off switch.

Back