Nikon sb800 wireless problem

Name
steven james
Edit My Images
Yes
hello all am really hoping some one can help me on this as its scaring me abit, any way i have been trying to use my sb800 via the remote on some of my macro works and the flash is not firing of, the channels and groups are the same on both the flash and d80, but still not luck i have not done it in awhile but i no the sb800 has done it before, any ideas :shrug:

Is the sensor on the flash pointing towards the camera? If the flash is very close it might not be picking up the signal which should be line of sight, this wouldn't be a problem if slightly further away due to the 'spread' of the signal (hope that makes sense!).

If you havent already done it, you could try resetting it and see if it suddenly decides it wants to play ball - Press the Mode and power buttons at the same time and hold for approx. 2 sec. to reset all settings.

I agree with barlines, try a reset just to make sure it hasnt got its circuits all of a dither. DOnt forget to set the right group/channel in camera menu again afterwards, 3 and A is default IIRC.

Another thing, that means nothing to me, but might help someone more knowledgeable diagnose the issue - does the red light inside the receiver on the flash light up?

Will the SB800 fire as a dumb off-camera optical slave flash still rather than using CLS?

Sb800 can work one of two ways - you can use it as a simple optical dumb flash in that it will fire when it sees another flash go off

OR

its can also do Nikons CLS system where you can adjust the output of the flash from the camera.

It maybe you are doing a bit of both which is why it isnt working.

when you do CLS you should actually see a VERY short series of flashes from the camera rather than just one

on the flash

if you press and hold sel
and go to the menu that says

off
master
master(rpt)
remote
SU-4

Using CLS you would set that to REMOTE
Using it as a optical flash you would set it to SU-4

ok so it works of sorts

Bad news is it doesnt actually use the same receptor on the flash - SU-4 uses the hole on the left of the red perspex on the front.

CLS uses the round window next to the battery door.

When you set to use CLS on the camera, make sure that its THAT window that is presented to the flash.

I don't have a D80 so I don't know the settings on the camera.

I've just loaded a set of nearly duff batteries in my flash and its worked via CLS so maybe batteries dont enter into it at all.

All I can suggest is make sure you have the flash set to remote-the settings match the camera and that the flash window can see the flash from the camera - does the flash look like a short burt or just one flash?

nope not yet having to wait mid month before i can go in to the bigger town next to me, there is a dedicated camera shop were i can hopefully get them to test it for me, as its either the sensor on the sb800 or d80 thats gone belly up :bang: will have to keep it either way as the flash still works on the camera and i cant afford another one :thumbsdown:

Back