Beginner Nikon settings help

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a D3100 with a DX 35mm f/1.8G prime lens on it.

I love the camera (despite the age) and the with the lens the image quality has risen. I am looking for some advise on the best settings for portrait shots with this setup. I am going to be taking some informal shots at a family wedding for the couple and want to make sure I am getting the best for them.

Thanks

Hi

Are the shots indoor or outdoor?

If indoor and not enough ambient light you would need a flash, if enough light and you are taking portrait or one person you may get away with a low f stop, otherwise again using a height fstop may need more light or higher iso.

Not sure how well the body you have handles high iso.

Thanks

Hi

Are the shots indoor or outdoor?

If indoor and not enough ambient light you would need a flash, if enough light and you are taking portrait or one person you may get away with a low f stop, otherwise again using a height fstop may need more light or higher iso.

Not sure how well the body you have handles high iso.

Thanks

The D3100 goes up to 3200 but up there the noise is horrible. I am looking at a flash for it, rather than the weak on camera. Most of the day will be indoors with a few shots outside

For indoor shots you would definitely need a flash, and bounce of the wall or ceiling based on it being white.

My D90 was okay upto iso 800, over that I did not like the noise.

What is your budget?

Yes that is a good one, I had it but sold it to get a shanny sn600sn as I prefer the locking system of the shanny.

Other I have seen recently recommend are the Godox TT685.

I have a nissin flash if you are interested.

I wouldn't assume that indoors = must use flash. Many indoor venues have plenty of light especially with a 1.8 lens to hand. It's useful to have a flash in particularly dark areas or if you're looking to balance exposures in harsh lighting but it really depends what you want out of it all. Also worth bearing in mind that whilst well exposed shots with a flash can really lift an image, poor use of flash can look really, really awful.

Since you're posting in the beginner section, I'm assuming you don't have years of experience in which case I would be aiming to keep things as simple as possible. Use what light is available (windows can make great diffused light sources), keep your shutter speed high enough to avoid motion blur and shake (1/100 will probably suffice). Let ISO be whatever it needs to be (noise is better than nothing). Look all around and behind your subject for distractions. Clean backgrounds or backgrounds that add context generally work best. Trees growing out of people's heads rarely looks good but is so easy to not notice at the time of shooting.

I wouldn't assume that indoors = must use flash. Many indoor venues have plenty of light especially with a 1.8 lens to hand. It's useful to have a flash in particularly dark areas or if you're looking to balance exposures in harsh lighting but it really depends what you want out of it all. Also worth bearing in mind that whilst well exposed shots with a flash can really lift an image, poor use of flash can look really, really awful.

Since you're posting in the beginner section, I'm assuming you don't have years of experience in which case I would be aiming to keep things as simple as possible. Use what light is available (windows can make great diffused light sources), keep your shutter speed high enough to avoid motion blur and shake (1/100 will probably suffice). Let ISO be whatever it needs to be (noise is better than nothing). Look all around and behind your subject for distractions. Clean backgrounds or backgrounds that add context generally work best. Trees growing out of people's heads rarely looks good but is so easy to not notice at the time of shooting.

Thanks Graham, really useful tips :)

No, but I am a beginner and this is first wedding, albeit casual and for family

You mentioned in your first post, casual shots but also portrait set up. What sort of thing are you after? Blend into the background and capture some moments or more the people looking at the camera and smiling type affair?

You mentioned in your first post, casual shots but also portrait set up. What sort of thing are you after? Blend into the background and capture some moments or more the people looking at the camera and smiling type affair?

It is going to be a bit of both. There is not going to be a pro taking any pictures so while they have not asked for them yet, I am expecting a request for a few more formal shots

Flash isn't necessarily essential depending on venue, but that being said I haven't been to a wedding venue yet where I've not needed flash. Flash also helps you control the light and if you overpower the ambient get a more consistent light and WB. I would always bounce where possible as direct flash is often very unflattering. That being said, as already mentioned if you can get shots by windows with natural light they're really nice to get. Don't forget, flash is not just for indoor use. It's often nice to use fill flash outdoors, especially in bright sunlight to help remove harsh shadows. Of course if you're doing that you must have a flash with HSS. This flash always seems to get good reviews
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q5Z9...lid=2PIJAE5D1ZZT1&coliid=I2LMH474AKBSY9&psc=1

I've found with flash 1/160 is often fast enough to freeze movement, but I know some pro togs who's 'default' shutter speed for weddings is 1/250 as motion blur is much much worse than a bit of noise. Sorry if I"m teaching you to suck eggs but if you want subject isolation with blurred background you want to be shooting with a wide aperture (f1.8), and make sure you focus on the eyes, and if at an angle the eye that is nearest the camera. I would use single point AF to ensure this. I would use AF-S for posed/static shots and AF-C for moving shots such as walking down the aisle. If you can use BBF on the D3100 this would be a great option to save having to swap from AF-S to AF-C all the time.

Back