Nikon - starting out

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
hello oh wise ones!

a friend wants to buy her first DSLR, having recently bought a bridge camera but now wanting to 'upgrade'. Let's stick with the Nikon range for now (I know... but let's!)

I've given a few pointers, just wondered what advice you would give? budget is as low as poss (isn't it always!), but happy to spend 400 on a D3100 deal in Jessops.

entry level DSLRs aren't my forte... it was D40/D60 a couple of years ago and I've not kept up to date with what's hot.

For 400, personally I'd be tempted to find a 2nd hand D90 and find a few extra quid for a 2nd hand kit lens... but is jumping straight in at a D90 a bit advanced for a first DLSR?

...For 400, personally I'd be tempted to find a 2nd hand D90 and find a few extra quid for a 2nd hand kit lens... but is jumping straight in at a D90 a bit advanced for a first DLSR?

Have you thought about letting your friend to try yours out & see if they would feel comfy with it & to see if they'd be willing to get a used D90 :shrug:

Have you thought about letting your friend to try yours out & see if they would feel comfy with it & to see if they'd be willing to get a used D90 :shrug:

i would, but they live 170 miles away ;)

tbh, have just read a few reviews of the D3100 and it seems a cracking little camera for the price.

D80/D90 won't be as user friendly as the entry bodies for a DSLR novice, but if your friend has used DSLR's before this wouldn't be a problem. Entry nikon bodies have guidance notes for most of the functions and tips on getting better shots.

So I think this is the first thing to find out from your friend.

D80/D90 won't be as user friendly as the entry bodies for a DSLR novice, but if your friend has used DSLR's before this wouldn't be a problem. Entry nikon bodies have guidance notes for most of the functions and tips on getting better shots.

So I think this is the first thing to find out from your friend.

that's very good thinking, I think you're right. I had a D60 for about a year before my D90 and it was a great introduction...

Assuming that the £400 budget needs to include a lens, I actually think, for a beginner at least, that Jessops D3100 + kit lens deal is actually pretty damn hard to beat in the world of Nikon. Their £500 D5000 + 2 lens deal is arguably even better but that camera has now been superseded and obviously the budget is blown.

There is nothing wrong with a D90 for a beginner but it's not going to leave anything in reserve for glass.

Maybe another option would be something like a used D80 for a round £200 and then a 50mm 1.8 and an 18-70 kit lens. Should all be comfortably doable for £400 but it won't be shiny new, warranted gear.

If they really like photography get a d80 or d90 secondhand. Should be a local second hand shop fairly near them?

Lens, I'd look at 35mm f1.8 (170 ish new in jessops) second hand at the same time. But if they are used to bridge cameras, some sort of zoom might be better (I don't use/have them but there must be a few good ones to pick from, however price might make that a bit difficult).

Reason: If they like the photography they will want to upgrade from the d3100. With the d80/90 they have the option of older lenses (motor in body) and probably all they will need for several years. For approx costs of bodies or lenses, watch a couple pass in ebay. Also check out London Camera Exchange, several stores dotted around the uk.

I can personally reccomend the D5000 and at £500 it's a good price plus you get 2 lenses... I may one day grow out of it, but I think that's years down the line :)

... but is jumping straight in at a D90 a bit advanced for a first DLSR?

It's what I did!

If your friend has outgrown a bridging camera in quite short time, then I would imagine that they would probably be wanting more than either the D3100 or D5000 can offer before too much longer.

Second hand D90?

Back