Nikon SU-800 Info needed please.

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
At the minute i currently use Yongnuo RF602's trigger and receivers for off camera flash, but it can be a PITA sometimes going back and forth to my light stands adjusting the power on my Nikon SB-600's.

Now i have been looking at the SU-800, now apologies for asking what may seem a very basic question.

But.

If i had the SU-800 would i be able to adjust the power of my SB-600's from the su-800 on my camera? as opposed to walking back and forth and adjusting on the flash unit itself?
Even if i prefer to use the sb-600;s in a full manual mode not TTL.???

Also been looking at this chinese aftermarket, has anyone got one and what are they like??
http://nikonrumors.com/2013/06/28/d...e-nikon-su-800-wireless-flash-commander.aspx/

or would this do??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-YN-...id=1458207106&sr=1-3&keywords=yongnuo+yn-622n

Last edited:
I THINK it's a case of sticking the SB600s in Remote mode (not SU-4) and putting them into assigned lettered groups. You can then set on the SU-800 if you'd like that particular group to meter with TTL or set to manual plus any adjustments, and control everything from the SU-800 without having to walk to each SB600. Which camera are you using? If you have a camera that supports Flash Commander mode you can try this out without splashing out on the SU-800, from experience it works okay unless you're in bright light, in that case you may as well forget it :LOL: I'm not sure how well the SU-800 works in bright light.

I don't have an SB-600 or SU-800 but I have used Nikon's CLS with various cameras and an SB700 and SB800, the above is always as I have understood the SU-800 but may not necessarily be correct :LOL:

Yongnuo also do the YN622TX which gives similar control when used in conjunction with YN622 receivers at a pretty good price too which may be worth considering.

You can use the D300s as a flash commander, the option should be under e3 in the menu. Choose commander mode, if you don't want the built in flash to make any difference to affect the exposure just choose -- for the mode of built in. Change Group A mode from TTL to M (for manual) then choose your setting from there. Set the SB600 to remote and set it up in Group A, the Sb600 will take it's settings from what you set in the e3 menu, if you set it to 1/8 the SB600 will fire at 1/8 and so on.

This is what the menu should look like (not my picture so i've linked it)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Pq8oK2VX8sg/hqdefault.jpg

I use a SB600, SB800 & Newer 985.
Using the 622n-tx on the body & 622n triggers on the flash units I dont have to walk to them to adjust the power.

I have used the Nikon CLS system for some time, but now restrict its use to macro and close up stuff, due to the need for line of sight.

As wireless radio triggers do not rely on line of sight and for portraiture or anything with an appreciable distance to the speedlight, I would always now use wireless triggering.

You can use Pocket Wizards, or the much cheaper Yongnuo etc alternatives, some of which are integrated.

Nikon themselves are putting wireless radio triggering into their next generation of speedlights too, due very soon.

I use a SB600, SB800 & Newer 985.
Using the 622n-tx on the body & 622n triggers on the flash units I dont have to walk to them to adjust the power.

This :)

There's no good reason not to get the YN 622 triggers.

Back