Nikon to Fuji

Name
Elaine
Edit My Images
Yes
I know there is a wealth of experience out there and many who have considered/made this switch.

I feel I need to downsize even though I love using my D750 the weight and size of my bag with lenses (24-70, 70-200 & wide angle, macro) is proving just too much so I'm looking for recommendations for both body and lens combinations.

what are the pros and cons between X-T20, T2 and new H1?

Advice please.....

Depends on what you use your gear for. If you are using your gear for work probably better to stick with your current equipment the full frame sensor in the Nikon is just simply better especially in low light. Autofocus especially in AF-C is much better with the Nikon.

In terms of losing a bit of weight the X-T20 is probably your best option, you won't lose much weight with the other two with lenses of equivalent focal length especially the H1.

May not be an issue for you but the X-T20 has no weather sealing and only has the one card slot. Battery life on all of the Fuji gear compared to your D750 is also very poor.

Fuji is fun to use so I can see the appeal but realistically if you are wanting a mirrorless equivalent to what you currently have the Sony A9 is the best option, closely followed by the Sony A7 III.

I have a Fuji X100T and have also had an X-Pro for a little while and a few weeks back bought my eldest the X-T20. A good mate of mine has the XT-2 and the H1 and have had a good play with those, they are all really fun camera's to use, the jpegs are excellent but much prefer the raw files from my Nikon equipment.

All have their advantages and disadvantages but personally in terms of image quality, speed of use, ergonomics I would have the D750 over all of the Fuji options you have mentioned. The D750 is one of the lightest DSLR's around so surprised you have an issue with the weight although that might be because I am used to bigger DSLR's.

Last edited:
If you want to cut down on weight/bulk stop taking everything with you and take body and one lens. Or chop most of the lenses in for a 28-300.:)

Kind of agree here. I swapped from Canon + L glass to X-E1 & 18-55 which was a super light setup as well as small & compact. Then I bought an X-T, then the 16-55 f2.8, then a 55-200, then an L bracket, then a couple of primes... I'm back to where I was before - weight wise.

I still prefer the control of the X-T, and I can still go small with the f2 primes (23, 35, 50) and the 27mm f2.8. If you replace the D750 with the X-T or X-H & the 16-55, the 50-140 and the 16mm f1.4 prime - that's still a heavy weight to lug around. But if you do like what Dave said and chop down to an X-T20 with the 18-55, that will be a much smaller/lighter combo. If you're coming from full frame and high quality lenses, you may sacrifice quality.

So basically this...

Depends on what you use your gear for

I agree with the other posters.
I have a 750 and wanted a smaller carry around, I bought X-T20.
With the small primes and 18-55 it is noticeably smaller and lighter than the 750, but it is not full frame and Fuji don't have a 24-105/120 equivalent. I've used it a lot with the 50mm F2 to shoot pics of our grandaughter.
I'm switching to X-T2 with an 18-135 as my carryaround. Not as light as the T20 but 2 card slots and this lens balances a lot better on the
T2. It is noticeably lighter than the 750/24-120 combo. If I was sticking to F2 primes and 18-55 I would stay with T20.
Either way you are saving weight and size, but nothing is for nothing and apsc files cannot compete with 750 ones, esp in low light.
I will run both.
As others have said, it is horses for courses.

Also, if your current zooms are 2.8 there are lighter Nikon equivalents available.

xt2 and 23, 35, 60 and a couple of nice zooms maybe. I have an x-t1 and they are ok if you have little hands but not if you have very big manly hands. You may find them clumsy to use

I have two systems now but the reason I am chiming in is that I bumped in to a friend yesterday at the photo show who had been on a trip. A while back, he changed from Canon to Sony to go lighter. He told me he had over 9kg in his rucksack; I asked him how he had so much and then he explained he had 2FF bodies, a new zoom... so going smaller and lighter, may not last!

Switched from Nikon D300 and D700 with 24-70mm f/2,8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 to Fuji XT-1 with a few lenses some years ago and never regretted it. I'm not a pro, so a lot less thinking about it, but feel more liberated about picking up one of my X series bodies and a lens, and going out for a days fun..

Still got the D700 and D750 kit but now mostly use a selection of Fujis - my choices being an X-Pro1 and X-T 1 & 2. I couldn't bring myself to sell the Pro and T 1 so have kept them to reduce lens changes. I went for the X-T 1 and 2 over the 10 and 20 because of the weather sealing.

I've kept the Nikons because there are still a few things it does slightly better than the Fujis - mainly due to there being absolutely no lag in the viewfinder and the FF system (especially the D750) being better at higher ISO values. I also have wider lenses for the Nikons than I can get for the Fujis.

I'm about to buy a X-T2 with the 18-55 kit lens and a 100-400 - I've got pretty much that whole range covered with my Canon glass (new 400 f2.8 arrives tomorrow) but I wanted lighter kit for my trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in the summer.

I'm looking forward to owning a camera which won't be primarily for work for first time since I bought my Olympus OM-2N back in 1980

I'm currently using both systems after being a Nikon user for 10 years.

To put it bluntly I haven't touched my D750 or D4S for over 6 months and the XT-2 is the camera I take out with me these days. I only use primes with the XT-2, but my Fuji glass all have faster apertures (than my Nikons) and I can happily shoot wide open on Fuji with no front/back focus issues unlike my Nikons.
I find the Fuji is more fun to use and has put the enjoyment back into my photography.

I will be buying more into Fuji in the future once I offload more Nikon gear.

I know this thread is Nikon to Fuji but it may be worth at least having a sideways glance at MFT.

I think that the biggest savings outside of going for a 1" sensor camera will be if going MFT. I have a couple of RF style Panasonic cameras and I think that they give good results and some of the Panasonic and Olympus lenses are simply excellent and good from wide open.

If you decide to go Fuji all well and good... but I just thought mentioning MFT might be a good idea :D

I went from Nikon D800, 24-70 f2.8, 14-24 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 85mm f1.4 and 100 f2.8 to Fuji XT-1 and few primes.

Now I have a gripped XT-2, 10-24 f4, 16-55 f2.8, 50-140 f2.8, 16 f1.4 and few other primes. I don't miss my Nikons and I don't regret the move.

If this is your first adventure into the mirrorless, my advice is to try the Fuji before selling or your Nikons

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts.

I'm not a pro but a keen hobbyist and really appreciate all these comments. I have tried just taking a 28-300 but feel I don't get the quality of the 24-70 and 70-200 but I do try not to pack everything but the kitchen sink!

Despite a good look at the Photo Show I still can't quite decide!

Thanks again.

Was that you i saw at the show today Elaine,i had a white hat on,jeans and wrangler jacket? Did you try the canon M series,i was impressed?

Nikon has some small and good primes. Something like 85mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4. This should sort it all out for you.

The one Fuji that is really worth getting costs over £6k body only and is quite big! I still want it!

Last edited:
Thinking of this myself, I've currently got a D7200 and a couple of lenses, the weight and bulk of it is putting me off using it, so thinking of going either Fuji or micro four thirds..

I do a lot of landscape photography, so my thinking is, a basic body like the Fuji A3 or Lumix Gx800 and spend money on glass...

I started the switch, then lost faith and I'm still running two systems trying to decide which to keep!

My D750 is bigger and heavier, and lens micro focus adjust is a pain, but the autofocus and low light capabilities win for me every time.

My X-T2 is a lot nicer to use, in good light with a still subject the photos are great, and the more compact nature of the whole set up makes me far more likely to be carrying the camera around.

But I'm not a professional photographer and one of my main subjects tend to be my kids running about and here the autofocus of the Nikon wins out. For the same situation with the Fuji I hope I get a good sharp shot, with the Nikon I know I will.

I'm toying with the idea a Sony A7 may be the best of both worlds.....

I moved from Canon. I bought an X-T1 about 2 years ago as a travel & fun camera, with the 17-55 f2.8-f4, and the 35mm f1.4.

My main interests are wildlife, motorsport, and landscape. My bodies consisted of a 6D, 7D & a 7D2. My lenses included a range of L glass 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8, 300 f4 plus 50 & 85 f1.8 primes, Sigma 10-20 and 150-600 Sport; so quite a lot of kit.

I tended to take the Fuji out almost every day, and when the X-T2 came out, I bought that, with the grip and then the 100-400 with 1.4TC for wildlife. A this point I realised that I just wasn't using the Canon gear. The X-T2 was delivering what I needed for wildlife, and the landscapes were great too. I have since added a number of lenses to the Fuji kit, and all the Canon gear has gone.

Do I miss it? Well, up until the last firmware update, the 7D2 was better with moving subjects, but since then I don't have an issue. Yesterday I was walking around a reserve with the T2 & 100-400 on an R strap and my other T2 with the 80mm f2.8 & 10-24 in a rucksack on my back without a problem (and I do have a back problem). Migrating to Fuji has meant that I take my camera out more often, I enjoy using it more, that has resulted in me taking more (and better) images.

However, there is a learning curve, the Fuji menus take a bit of getting used to, and some of the options are (sort of) hidden. I had to learn how to PP the raw files, but that was fairly straight forward. I do like the idea that I now have a pair of bodies, both of which get regular firmware updates (that doesn't happen with Canikon) with a good range of lenses (the glass is great by the way). It's lighter than the equivalent DSLR, I can get a body & 2 lenses into a very small camera bag, or even a normal rucksack.

Go to a store and try one, I would suggest the T2, the H1 is still a bit new and unless you intend on using the longer heavy lenses, and use a lot of video, the H1 is probably not going to give you much more, and it's bigger/heavier. T2 has dual SD slots, and I've shot birds in flight & a wedding on them - what's not to like? :)

I started the switch, then lost faith and I'm still running two systems trying to decide which to keep!

My D750 is bigger and heavier, and lens micro focus adjust is a pain, but the autofocus and low light capabilities win for me every time.

My X-T2 is a lot nicer to use, in good light with a still subject the photos are great, and the more compact nature of the whole set up makes me far more likely to be carrying the camera around.

But I'm not a professional photographer and one of my main subjects tend to be my kids running about and here the autofocus of the Nikon wins out. For the same situation with the Fuji I hope I get a good sharp shot, with the Nikon I know I will.

That's probably closest to how I feel, not sure I'm ready to let the Nikon go (although would need to so that I can fund any change!)

I'll let you be the judge. Canon 5DIV, Sony A7III and Fuji X-T1

8H5YeJO.jpg

WvpY3uP.jpg

As opposed to

J3dRe41.jpg

b1dIZ8I.jpg

Man, I forgot how big those DSLR's can be....

Elaine, if it's of any comfort, I ran with 2 full systems for around 12 months, then moved on the 6D and most of the glass, keeping the 7D2 & 150-600 "just in case". There was never any case..... The Canon stayed in the boot of the car while the X-T2 went walking with me.

I felt I had to hold on, but after a year of not using Canon at all, I let the rest go. That 7D2 had just 1400 actuations... It was like new, but worth more to me in P/X than it was sitting there doing nothing...

Last edited:
I was a big Canon user and had all of their L pro lenses I used to shoot weddings etc but small fibre neuropathy put paid to that.
I know shoot entirely Fuji and am very happy with the results

Sony’s look like Frankenstein’s bride between smaller camera and honking great lenses

Last edited:
Bought a X-E1 and 18-55mm, never looked back and the Canon FF and lenses were soon exchanged for more Fuji gear.

Must have been four or five years ago and still happy with no intention of ever changing again.
Of course it has flaws, but the pros easily outweigh the cons for me, all about compromise.

I visit a lot of different cities around Europe, bitten by the travel photography bug.
Will probably only go to these places once and need to be confident that any photos I take will be decent enough.
My current set up gives me this and is also light and compact making it easy to carry about.

Back