Nikon upgrade time...

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok....So the time has come for me to get a new camera :)

I currently have 2 x D300s but need to upgrade for the next step.
I have taken a look at a load of different Nikons but have no idea

D800,D800e,D3,D3s,D4 or the D700. I have about £4,000 coming back from my work with fuel expenses.... I also need a 24-70 lens in this budget and some good memory cards!

A few people have said go for the D700 because it has been amazing but i need it to last me a few years then so I don't know what to do, also the D800 but its huge files and I don't think i need anything that massive but I guess in the next few years it maybe helpful!

Any ideas? New or secondhand

Also been offered a sb900 for £130 is that worth it??

:)

D800
Nikkor 24-70 f2.8G

Sorted.

The 800E has little practical advantage and the difference is minimal and only really noticeable on truly massive prints... and only just.

D700 is just too old and too low res for a upgrade over the D300.

D3 and D3s are only really an advantage if you need speed of continuous shooting.

D4 is just stupidly expensive for what you get and only sports and press shooters should even consider it.

You did however, leave out the D600.. which is by all accounts superb. I've just bought one as a second body.

If it was me, I'd be opting for the d800, but depends what you're shooting. Don't worry about the image size, may seem large, but storage prices are dropping every day.

As regards the sb900, if it's in good nick, then £130 is an excellent price.

£130 for an sb900 is an absolute bargain.

If you are still wanting 2 bodies and have the cash a D800 and a D700 as a back up body sewms like a good option especially for the price used D700 goes for now.

D800
Nikkor 24-70 f2.8G

Sorted.

The 800E has little practical advantage and the difference is minimal and only really noticeable on truly massive prints... and only just.

D700 is just too old and too low res for a upgrade over the D300.

D3 and D3s are only really an advantage if you need speed of continuous shooting.

D4 is just stupidly expensive for what you get and only sports and press shooters should even consider it.

You did however, leave out the D600.. which is by all accounts superb. I've just bought one as a second body.

I took a look in Carmarthen cameras today at the D800 and the D600 and after I seen the top of the D600 it looks cheap and feels plastic
D600_top16by9-580-90.jpg
(with out sounding rude) :)

I was wondering about the 900 someone told me nikon changed it to the 910 because they blow up.... is this *******s?

I took a look in Carmarthen cameras today at the D800 and the D600 and after I seen the top of the D600 it looks cheap and feels plastic
D600_top16by9-580-90.jpg
(with out sounding rude) :)

It is, yes... but no more than the D7000. Unless you're giving it hell as a professional sports or press photographer, it's more than up to the job.

I'm fairly certain the D600's top plate isn't plastic though, although it lacks the heavy weapons grade feel of a pro Nikon.

[edit]

It is alloy on the top plate
d600-construction.jpg

[edit].. damn.. linked to wrong image.. fixed now.

Last edited:
The layout of the focus points on the d600 you might find dissapointing especially considering the superb a.f system you are leaving behind. Much cheaper build as well.

I was wondering about the 900 someone told me nikon changed it to the 910 because they blow up.... is this *******s?

No, they have a thermal cut off if you hammer the hell out of it.

Up your ISO a little and its fine. I've only ever once had mine cut out and I did use it a bit much tbh :LOL:

No, they have a thermal cut off if you hammer the hell out of it.

Up your ISO a little and its fine. I've only ever once had mine cut out and I did use it a bit much tbh :LOL:
how much are we talking i do loads in nightclubs with djs :)

Its when you blast it on full power shot after to shot. As I said up your ISO a little so its not on full power and it will go all night :)

Its when you blast it on full power shot after to shot. As I said up your ISO a little so its not on full power and it will go all night :)
if it blows up i will be back ;)
thank you buddy

Back